The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm collecting parts for my C64 rebuild. It's all pre-emptive, as I've managed to not kill it yet but as I'm putting an LSD in this winter I wanted to be a bit proactive with it whilst it's out.

My initial plan was the C60 6th gear, then the Komotec or Jubu 5.0 final drive to give me nice quick gearing through the range, but an OEM-like 6th gear for cruising. I'd also uprate 3rd/4th with Jubu or SSC.

When I came to source the FD, both ended up being way more expensive than first thought. Komotec had one listed for a little over £1k but it turns out that product never existed, the replacement is now available and is 50% more expensive so I'm reconsidering my options.

SSC recommend grabbing a brand new Toyota one and getting it cryo treated/shot peened etc. I would consider that but once it's all done, it's probably not saving me too much money and I'm still stuck with OEM ratios. I wanted to use this as an opportunity to upgrade the driving experience too.

That seems to leave Kaaz with their 4.8 option, but I've not heard/read much about it and it's strength relative to the other options. If Komotec/Jubu are clearly the best, then I don't mind paying - but I think 4.8 would also be workable, actually might be a better compromise than 5.0 for my usage.

Also, any thoughts on gearbox cooling? I only tend to do short stints on track and I'm logging gearbox oil temps. I think 112 Celsius is the highest I've seen on a particularly long (for me) session, but generally they don't go over 100 so I'm not sure how valuable a cooler would be?

Cheers,
Fonz

·
Administrator
4,566 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have thanks, I've been through that post a few times. My options are slightly more limited as the logistics for getting my box from the UK over to BWR and then import duty on the parts coming out would make the whole project K20-budget! It looks like a fantastic solution for US owners though.

It's probably important to note that I'm not chasing big power either, I'm probably never going to push beyond the ceiling of the MP62 in realistic terms so I'm just looking for something robust that I can lean on without wincing each time I gun it in 3rd :(

·
Administrator
4,566 Posts
Maybe Hanger 111?

·
Vendor
3,396 Posts
I have the Kaaz 4.8 in stock. Its a robust part and I believe WPC treated. Ring us up or shoot us an email at info at blackwatchracing dot com.

112F is on the limit where I would want a cooler, but you can probably skip it as that sounds like the exception rather than the norm. IF you add a clutch pack diff, then you should do a cooler as they add alot more heat to the diff fluid than a gear-type like Quaife or TRD.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Kaaz 4.8 in stock. Its a robust part and I believe WPC treated. Ring us up or shoot us an email at info at blackwatchracing dot com.

112F is on the limit where I would want a cooler, but you can probably skip it as that sounds like the exception rather than the norm. IF you add a clutch pack diff, then you should do a cooler as they add alot more heat to the diff fluid than a gear-type like Quaife or TRD.
Thanls Fzust, that's good to know. I'll take a look at import duty implications into the UK but I don't think it'll be viable for me to order it from BWR. Frustrating as there are plenty of goodies available that I'd like to get my hands on at some point!

The WPC treatment is good to know, hopefully that means it'll stand up to some abuse. My biggest worry is that I spend $$ uprating the box only for something to fail anyway and take out all of my fancy new bits in the process :(

I assume you mean 112C? 112F is probably achievable from just reversing out of the garage :) I think I'll continue to monitor it next year and I can always add the cooler if my temperatures start creeping beyond that. I've sourced a Toyota original torsen differential to go in.

Cheers,
Fonz

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've previously had the Jubu 5.0 and now have the Kaaz 4.8. The Jubu 5.0 broke after less than 5,000 miles while the Kaaz is still going strong 15,000 miles after install, so you know my vote. I spend a significant amount of time on the track, though I'm essentially a stock power Elise SC. I've also stripped 3rd gear and my advice would be to put in the SSC 3rd and 4th gears while you're in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts