The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had a thing for the original NSX. I'd like to buy one, but I've never sat in, ridden or driven one. Curious if anyone here has one and would be willing to give let me check it out in person/give me a ride?

I've heard them raved about and compared to Accords, but they check so many of my personal preference boxes when it comes to a sports car. I'd like to sense of them before I start a nationwide search.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Try before you buy? Seems a little over the top, lol. I'm kidding.
Well, sorta. When I bought my exige, the most I had done was stood next to an Elise. I had never seen an Exige in person. I wired funds and got on a plane and drove my Exige 12 hrs home.
Live a little. Hahahaha.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm all for that! The only reason I wanted to see one up close first is because they are going on 30 years old, and I've read that they are really only brilliant in the context of their era.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Very true. If you are under 35 years old, it would take A LOT to appreciate an OG NSX. They were (and are) awesome, but not really much of a comparison to new high performance vehicles. You have to REALLY want one.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got an opportunity to drive one.

In short, I absolutely loved it. My expectations for this car were really high and the NSX did not disappoint.

Usable power, mid-engined balance and that wonderful 'connected' analog feel. The ergonomics, comfort and visibility from the cabin were supreme and I loved the shifter. Reminded me of my S2000 in terms of effort and throw. A fantastic driving experience. Can't believe people were buying these for 40k...

I need one of these in my life.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Finally got an opportunity to drive one.

In short, I absolutely loved it. My expectations for this car were really high and the NSX did not disappoint.

Usable power, mid-engined balance and that wonderful 'connected' analog feel. The ergonomics, comfort and visibility from the cabin were supreme and I loved the shifter. Reminded me of my S2000 in terms of effort and throw. A fantastic driving experience. Can't believe people were buying these for 40k...

I need one of these in my life.
Haha 40k - how about the people who were picking up less-than-perfect examples for 27-29k?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that really stings. The cars have now become something bigger than themselves. They've become mythology.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My brother in-law bought a nice one for $35K (it is a 92, red of course, 5 speed and 75K of miles), it needed a few interior bits but overall a very solid car for the money. He bought it like 4 years ago..

He let me drive it and while it was a good driving car, it was a bit of a let down for me. The whole "Exotic that drives like an Accord" was kinda true. Back in 1991, you couldn't have a daily driven Exotic but I feel times have changed... and I think I've been ruined by driving an Exige for the past 5 years.

He wanted a Lotus but his wife said no after driving in one. I can totally understand..

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
He let me drive it and while it was a good driving car, it was a bit of a let down for me. The whole "Exotic that drives like an Accord" was kinda true.

I totally get that. I've read so many comments and reviews that say the same thing. I was partially expecting to be underwhelmed, but I think part of it comes down to what you want to get out of a car. I personally felt the NSX masterfully blended the the sense of immediacy and purity you get from an Elise with a comfortable, ergonomic interior and solid built quality. Seriously, the one I drove was 21 years old and still felt like it was carved from a single block of aluminum. Although it was a bit bigger in person than I thought it would it be, it handled brilliantly, and pulled up to redline in a way I found both engaging and well-suited to street driving.

Your brother-in-law has good taste. Sorry the wife squashed his Lotus dreams. I showed my wife a picture of the NSX and she said it looked like "a car Zach Morris would drive..."

·
Registered
94 Posts
My brother has a ‘91. It’s nice but gearing is a little too tall/long. Comfortable and solid and stable at high speeds but not edgy as the Lotus which I like more (but a bit bias on my part).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I've never driven the NSX but have seen them in person. What struck me most was that they are quite low to the ground. You don't sense that from photos.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never driven the NSX but have seen them in person. What struck me most was that they are quite low to the ground. You don't sense that from photos.
Indeed, I was surprised to find they are very close to an Elise in height.

Now I've got the bug, the beginnings of that obsessive little monster in your mind that zeros in on something it wants and won't stop until you've gotten it, finances be damned!

I wonder how difficult it would be to get a lift in my garage:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I had a 93 NSX for a while. It was amazing. Loved it so very very much. The visibility was truly astonishing. A lot of it comes down to how you respond to the design of the car, too. I simply love the way it looks even after all these years, the design is still fresh in my eyes. The C30 is such a great motor, too! Super smooth and engaging. My particular car had the Japanese gear ratios so it had a lot more pick-up and go. If only parts for it weren't so damned expensive!

I eventually sold mine because I had to pay for a wedding. Oh and the fact that it had appreciated so much in the year that I owned it --- looking at what it was worth on the market, I had to ask myself if I would be willing to pay THAT much money to own the car. The answer turned out to be NO, so I sold it. Like Mr. Regular said, "Better than the stock market." The NSX and the Integra Type R (you seen how much low mileage examples have sold for on BaT???) are the two cars that you show your mom when she says you've been wasting your money and life on cars.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I totally get that. I've read so many comments and reviews that say the same thing. I was partially expecting to be underwhelmed, but I think part of it comes down to what you want to get out of a car. "
I feel like part of that is due to the fact that one of the expectations of a supercar is that they have brutal push-you-into-the-seat acceleration and a relatively loud demeanor. Neither of which the NSX really is about.

I had a 93 NSX for a while. It was amazing. Loved it so very very much. The visibility was truly astonishing. A lot of it comes down to how you respond to the design of the car, too. I simply love the way it looks even after all these years, the design is still fresh in my eyes. The C30 is such a great motor, too! Super smooth and engaging. My particular car had the Japanese gear ratios so it had a lot more pick-up and go. If only parts for it weren't so damned expensive!

I eventually sold mine because I had to pay for a wedding. Oh and the fact that it had appreciated so much in the year that I owned it --- looking at what it was worth on the market, I had to ask myself if I would be willing to pay THAT much money to own the car. The answer turned out to be NO, so I sold it. Like Mr. Regular said, "Better than the stock market." The NSX and the Integra Type R (you seen how much low mileage examples have sold for on BaT???) are the two cars that you show your mom when she says you've been wasting your money and life on cars.
#1: I totally read that "Loved it so very very much." in a South Park voice

#2: You left out the TT 6-sp Supra.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looking at what it was worth on the market, I had to ask myself if I would be willing to pay THAT much money to own the car.
I'm confused...you had already bought the car, and paid whatever you paid, then it appreciated even more, and became worth more than you paid, so it didn't cost you the inflated price to own, it cost you what you paid, right? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys, ever since my test-drive last Thursday, I got it bad for an NSX. The prices are nuts, but I just really, really enjoyed everything about the car. Initially I thought maybe I could find one to keep for a year or two, just to scratch the itch, but I really can't fit another car in my garage. Then I thought maybe I should sell the Lotus, maybe I would enjoy NSX ownership more. But I've put so much time and energy and care into the Lotus because I never really imaged that I would sell it.

I knew this was going to happen...as I was on my way to go drive the NSX, I knew that if I liked it, I would become fixated.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'm confused...you had already bought the car, and paid whatever you paid, then it appreciated even more, and became worth more than you paid, so it didn't cost you the inflated price to own, it cost you what you paid, right? Am I missing something?
It's a bit of financial advice that I sometimes like to keep in mind for something that is not my home. If I was to go out and buy an NSX, would I be willing to pay the amount of money that the market was telling me my car was worth? When that amount was sufficiently high enough, I knew that I had better use for that money than to have it tied up in a car. So I sold it.

One thing to keep in mind for the NSX is if you do buy one is that costs for parts are MUCH higher. Seriously, go do some research on modifications or replacement items. Keys, interior and exterior body panels (if they haven't been discontinued already), engine/transmission and general maintenance parts, service rates, suspension. There is definitely an NSX premium tacked on, it's kinda crazy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
One thing to keep in mind for the NSX is if you do buy one is that costs for parts are MUCH higher. Seriously, go do some research on modifications or replacement items. Keys, interior and exterior body panels (if they haven't been discontinued already), engine/transmission and general maintenance parts, service rates, suspension. There is definitely an NSX premium tacked on, it's kinda crazy.
I see now what you were saying about the value, thanks for that perspective.

Re: cost of parts, that's a great point, too. And you really don't hear/read about that too much in the NSX enthusiast forums/reviews. It's all about how the NSX is the 'affordable' supercar, 'it's a Honda, after all' and they're the most reliable cars ever made, etc...

Your point is a spoonful of medicine I really need to hear. I've actually been wanting to start a thread titled, 'Trading my Elise for a 1st gen NSX, talk me out of it' just to solicit some real-world advice and perspective. But I don't want to get roasted.

We all know how it is, sometimes you get the itch for something different, and lose sight of what's right in front of you.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I see now what you were saying about the value, thanks for that perspective.

Re: cost of parts, that's a great point, too. And you really don't hear/read about that too much in the NSX enthusiast forums/reviews. It's all about how the NSX is the 'affordable' supercar, 'it's a Honda, after all' and they're the most reliable cars ever made, etc...

Your point is a spoonful of medicine I really need to hear. I've actually been wanting to start a thread titled, 'Trading my Elise for a 1st gen NSX, talk me out of it' just to solicit some real-world advice and perspective. But I don't want to get roasted.

We all know how it is, sometimes you get the itch for something different, and lose sight of what's right in front of you.
I hear you on the itch. I've experienced this many times through the years.

What you could do, if you have the space, is go ahead and pick up an NSX. One that maybe needs some light work, making sure it has a clean title and no major body damage. Finance it if you have to. Drive it for a year or so and take care of some of the deferred maintenance and do some light restoration and (TASTEFUL AND NOT TOO PERSONALIZED) modification. This will give you some idea of what owning/maintaining/modding an NSX is like. Then, after a year or so, sell it for a profit.

These things are appreciating just like the other classic JDM heroes (Supra's, FD's, ITR's, R34's, etc.) and you'll likely come out positive in the end.

It's true that the NSX community likes to tout how much of an "affordable exotic" it is and they're right. But it's relative. Compared to other attainable supercars like R8's and Gallardo's it IS affordable (I know these are different eras of cars but sit within the affordable dream car category). But it's still a far cry from the running costs of an Elige.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts