The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Any Gen 1 NSX Owner's Here?

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  raggedy1 
#1 ·
I've always had a thing for the original NSX. I'd like to buy one, but I've never sat in, ridden or driven one. Curious if anyone here has one and would be willing to give let me check it out in person/give me a ride?

I've heard them raved about and compared to Accords, but they check so many of my personal preference boxes when it comes to a sports car. I'd like to sense of them before I start a nationwide search.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Try before you buy? Seems a little over the top, lol. I'm kidding.
Well, sorta. When I bought my exige, the most I had done was stood next to an Elise. I had never seen an Exige in person. I wired funds and got on a plane and drove my Exige 12 hrs home.
Live a little. Hahahaha.

#4 ·
Very true. If you are under 35 years old, it would take A LOT to appreciate an OG NSX. They were (and are) awesome, but not really much of a comparison to new high performance vehicles. You have to REALLY want one.

#5 ·
Finally got an opportunity to drive one.

In short, I absolutely loved it. My expectations for this car were really high and the NSX did not disappoint.

Usable power, mid-engined balance and that wonderful 'connected' analog feel. The ergonomics, comfort and visibility from the cabin were supreme and I loved the shifter. Reminded me of my S2000 in terms of effort and throw. A fantastic driving experience. Can't believe people were buying these for 40k...

I need one of these in my life.

Attachments

#8 ·
My brother in-law bought a nice one for $35K (it is a 92, red of course, 5 speed and 75K of miles), it needed a few interior bits but overall a very solid car for the money. He bought it like 4 years ago..

He let me drive it and while it was a good driving car, it was a bit of a let down for me. The whole "Exotic that drives like an Accord" was kinda true. Back in 1991, you couldn't have a daily driven Exotic but I feel times have changed... and I think I've been ruined by driving an Exige for the past 5 years.

He wanted a Lotus but his wife said no after driving in one. I can totally understand..

#9 · (Edited)
He let me drive it and while it was a good driving car, it was a bit of a let down for me. The whole "Exotic that drives like an Accord" was kinda true.

I totally get that. I've read so many comments and reviews that say the same thing. I was partially expecting to be underwhelmed, but I think part of it comes down to what you want to get out of a car. I personally felt the NSX masterfully blended the the sense of immediacy and purity you get from an Elise with a comfortable, ergonomic interior and solid built quality. Seriously, the one I drove was 21 years old and still felt like it was carved from a single block of aluminum. Although it was a bit bigger in person than I thought it would it be, it handled brilliantly, and pulled up to redline in a way I found both engaging and well-suited to street driving.

Your brother-in-law has good taste. Sorry the wife squashed his Lotus dreams. I showed my wife a picture of the NSX and she said it looked like "a car Zach Morris would drive..."

#12 ·
Indeed, I was surprised to find they are very close to an Elise in height.

Now I've got the bug, the beginnings of that obsessive little monster in your mind that zeros in on something it wants and won't stop until you've gotten it, finances be damned!

I wonder how difficult it would be to get a lift in my garage:scratchhead:

#13 ·
I had a 93 NSX for a while. It was amazing. Loved it so very very much. The visibility was truly astonishing. A lot of it comes down to how you respond to the design of the car, too. I simply love the way it looks even after all these years, the design is still fresh in my eyes. The C30 is such a great motor, too! Super smooth and engaging. My particular car had the Japanese gear ratios so it had a lot more pick-up and go. If only parts for it weren't so damned expensive!

I eventually sold mine because I had to pay for a wedding. Oh and the fact that it had appreciated so much in the year that I owned it --- looking at what it was worth on the market, I had to ask myself if I would be willing to pay THAT much money to own the car. The answer turned out to be NO, so I sold it. Like Mr. Regular said, "Better than the stock market." The NSX and the Integra Type R (you seen how much low mileage examples have sold for on BaT???) are the two cars that you show your mom when she says you've been wasting your money and life on cars.

#15 ·
looking at what it was worth on the market, I had to ask myself if I would be willing to pay THAT much money to own the car.
I'm confused...you had already bought the car, and paid whatever you paid, then it appreciated even more, and became worth more than you paid, so it didn't cost you the inflated price to own, it cost you what you paid, right? Am I missing something?

#16 ·
Guys, ever since my test-drive last Thursday, I got it bad for an NSX. The prices are nuts, but I just really, really enjoyed everything about the car. Initially I thought maybe I could find one to keep for a year or two, just to scratch the itch, but I really can't fit another car in my garage. Then I thought maybe I should sell the Lotus, maybe I would enjoy NSX ownership more. But I've put so much time and energy and care into the Lotus because I never really imaged that I would sell it.

I knew this was going to happen...as I was on my way to go drive the NSX, I knew that if I liked it, I would become fixated.

#21 ·
My friend had a 2001 NSX which he let me drive for a day.

It's really funny to say it drives like an Accord, but that was my initial impression. But it is meant as a compliment of course. I had my 05 Elise at the time, so while I was impressed with the NSX, having much different personalties there was no way I would consider owning the "plush" NSX over the Elise. My friend had paid 50k for it, and after a few years and only putting on 3k miles on the car himself, he sold it for 50k to help "finance" his divorce settlement.

If I could turn back the clock, I would want his car only because I could have easily doubled my money (or more).
hahahah

I appreciate the NSX, but they are so different that the Elise/Exige that one can't compare the two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.