The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so thats the door sills, the 2 center console pieces, the top and bottom steering cowlings (binnacles), the left and right AC vents.... all off... the car still starts so Ill consider that a good thing :rolleyes:... On the right ac vent i was able to get the main piece and the middle panel off. On the left one that panel has the start button and other buttons. Anyone know how to remove them? It appears that it may be glued on from the back. Anyone know real info on this?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not quite sure if you are asking about just the panel or getting the buttons off the panel. If you just want to remove the panel, after taking the screws out, should just come off, may be stuck due to some sticky foam tape they put to reduce rattles, just steady pulling should unstick the panel. Then to completely separate the panel, need to undo some harnesses for the various buttons. The buttons themselves are held on by threaded rings at the back of the panel. Hope this was what you were asking about.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ok so thats the door sills, the 2 center console pieces, the top and bottom steering cowlings (binnacles), the left and right AC vents.... all off... the car still starts so Ill consider that a good thing :rolleyes:... On the right ac vent i was able to get the main piece and the middle panel off. On the left one that panel has the start button and other buttons. Anyone know how to remove them? It appears that it may be glued on from the back. Anyone know real info on this?
There are two screws and two tabs holding the panels in place. You have to remove the two screws, then carefully pry out the panel without breaking the tabs (they're at the top of the panel). It may require a bit of force, but don't apply the force at the top of the panel. Try to pull the bottom of the panel out and down at the same time...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for not being clear. Im referring to removing the actual buttons from the panels. Ill try to post a pic up of the back of the panel.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not quite sure if you are asking about just the panel or getting the buttons off the panel. If you just want to remove the panel, after taking the screws out, should just come off, may be stuck due to some sticky foam tape they put to reduce rattles, just steady pulling should unstick the panel. Then to completely separate the panel, need to undo some harnesses for the various buttons. The buttons themselves are held on by threaded rings at the back of the panel. Hope this was what you were asking about.
How do I remove those rings?

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
The buttons themselves are held on by threaded rings at the back of the panel.
As I read your question, this ^ is your answer. Just unscrew the rings (it looks like a very thin nut), slip them over the wiring and harness (which you have disconnected) and pull the button out from the front. Installation is the reverse. Stick the harness then wiring then button into the hole from the front, slide the ring over the harness and wiring and screw onto the threads of the button.

EDIT: Just saw your posts above. Just unscrew the rings and slide them off toward the harness.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is an image for reference. It appears that unscrewing those 2 black cylinder pieces will work for the headlights and parking light buttons. But unscrewing the start button appears to only infinitely loosen it but not disconnect it. I havent done the parking and headlight buttons yet. They appear to be quite tight. Using pliers shouldnt damage anything should it?

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Here is an image for reference. It appears that unscrewing those 2 black cylinder pieces will work for the headlights and parking light buttons. But unscrewing the start button appears to only infinitely loosen it but not disconnect it. I havent done the parking and headlight buttons yet. They appear to be quite tight. Using pliers shouldnt damage anything should it?

After disconnecting the green harness connectors, the parking and headlight switches can be removed from the panel by loosening and unscrewing the thin hex shaped metal nuts that are around the "black cylinder pieces" which are actually the switch bodies. The switches are then pulled out the front of the panel. Careful use of a pliers on these nuts will work, but I recommend using a correct sized wrench on them.

The starter switch needs to have the box shaped connector removed from the back of it before the hand tightened nut and spacer can be slid off and the switch pulled out the front of the panel. To release the box shaped connector, look at the sides of it until you find the one with a small flat piece of metal embedded into the connector. Take a small screwdriver and push in on the metal piece (it is the retaining clip for the connector). You will see the flat metal piece move inward and then the box shaped connector can be pulled off the rear of the switch followed by the hand tightened nut and spacer.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

After disconnecting the green harness connectors, the parking and headlight switches can be removed from the panel by loosening and unscrewing the thin hex shaped metal nuts that are around the "black cylinder pieces" which are actually the switch bodies. The switches are then pulled out the front of the panel. Careful use of a pliers on these nuts will work, but I recommend using a correct sized wrench on them.

The starter switch needs to have the box shaped connector removed from the back of it before the hand tightened nut and spacer can be slid off and the switch pulled out the front of the panel. To release the box shaped connector, look at the sides of it until you find the one with a small flat piece of metal embedded into the connector. Take a small screwdriver and push in on the metal piece (it is the retaining clip for the connector). You will see the flat metal piece move inward and then the box shaped connector can be pulled off the rear of the switch followed by the hand tightened nut and spacer.
Thanks ya thank ya. Still much help even when your far away. I need you to move to Orlando to make things easier though.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.