The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the oil change runs around $250, any idea on what a 30K service on the Elise will run? Seems like it will most likely be well over the $1,000 mark as Porsche only charges around $150 for Boxster S oil changes and around $850 for the 30K service.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the few people who have gotten their 1,000 mile checkup/ECU download/oil change at the dealerships have paid around $240 for the service.

$1000-1500 therefore seems like a reasonable conclusion for the 30,000 mile service. Even with a basic to midling commuter car, this 30,000 mile service or any multiple thereafter cost a lot. On my mitsu it was $700. Of course, I believe that included a few extra costs for added services I had done.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Please email me if anyone wants their oil changed. I will do it for the low low price of $150 :D I'm located in Atlanta GA and do make house calls.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
There's another thread on the cost of the 1000 mile checkup. As for the 30K, here's my posting from that thread, probably more relevant to this thread:

When it came time for the first service up on my MR2 (forgotten -- 7500 miles, I think), I called a couple of dealers for prices. The first quoted over $300, and the 2nd quoted about $240, IIRC. I asked just what they did, and they started rattling off a list of things, most of which began with the word "inspect", which to me meant "costs them next to nothing." The guy also listed "rotate the tires". I stopped him to inform him that the MR2 uses different sizes front and back, so they'd better NOT rotate them. He was a bit thrown off by that, but continued right back up with the list of things they "inspect".

At the end, I told him what I wanted were just the 6 or 7 things specifically listed in the owner's manual as necessary for the service. (I'd already done the required oil change.) His response? "Oh, you want our $29.95 14-point inspection." So I set up the appointment.

When I got there, I specified, "I want the $29.95 inspection, please." The response? "OK. That's on sale for $18.95".

Original dealer quote: $240 - $300. Actual price: $18.95 + $20 for an oil change = $38.95. And my warranty is officially intact.

By the way -- it can work the other way around, too. Sometimes they do LESS than they're supposed to. For my partner's recent 36K (or somesuch -- can't recall the specific number) service on his CR-V, the manual specifically listed replacing the brake fluid as part of the required service. The dealership's 36K service (outrageously expensive) didn't include that -- they said they do it as part of their 50K service. But they insisted it wouldn't affect his warranty.

Huh? The manufacturer requires it, and you don't do it??? And you insist that's ok? What the heck are we paying you for???

Lesson learned: research what exactly you need, and compare it to what's being offered. Don't trust anyone to have it right.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I'm comming up on my 7,500 mile service. SVAG reminded me about it.

Anyone have this done yet? Got a price? What do they do at the 7,500 mile service??

thanks-
-doma

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My 1000 mile was free (thanks Rothrock!) and my 7500 mile was $150 (thanks again Rothrock!!). I don't even know what goes into the 30K checkup, but I have 18 months or so to not think about it...

As for what they did at 7500, they downloaded the ECU (again) changing oil and filter and checked for bad stuff-leaks, loose items, etc. Taht was it I think. I'm not complaining. Mine is running like a champ.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Thanks for the info surferjet.
Then my plan to change the oil this weekend might be a silly one.... if they are just gonna change it again in 900 miles. My current oil is getting darker though and I want to change it. :(

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
DOMA-I'd set an appointment with your dealer as soon as possible. There's no law that says you MUST wait until 7500 for your next service. Take it in early. It certainly will not void your warranty. Just add 7500 to your actual mileage to set the time of your NEXT appointment. :cool:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
if anyone wants to find out the actual cost of the 30k service just call the svag service department and ask them....thats wut graham told me to do when i was placing my depoist and asked him about it.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts