The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fast+forward, you have it absolutely right, they are XXR 530's. Tires on the car are AD08's in 205/45/17 & 235/40/18.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the front 17 x 7 + 35 is easy to find, but the rear 18 x 8.75 + 35 is proving difficult.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Looks like the Forgestar F14 that I had on my Camaro. I wouldn't fit 17/18 combo on these cars though because it's self defeating.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the Forgestar F14 that I had on my Camaro. I wouldn't fit 17/18 combo on these cars though because it's self defeating.
I have a set of super light wheels/tires that I'm keeping (LSS/Slicks), so these would be for standard duty, and photography.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
"Self defeating" is a matter of perspective. My 17/18's are modestly heavier, I offset that weight a bit with two pice rotors. They corner much stiffer than the 16/17's and for reasons I don't understand (increased width perhaps?) they ride much nicer too. I don't track so in my situation the "defeat" is well worth it on aesthetics alone.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
"Self defeating" is a matter of perspective. My 17/18's are modestly heavier, I offset that weight a bit with two pice rotors. They corner much stiffer than the 16/17's and for reasons I don't understand (increased width perhaps?) they ride much nicer too. I don't track so in my situation the "defeat" is well worth it on aesthetics alone.

Well, I won't say that it's "perspective" when it's simply physics. With the bigger wheels, you have the weight at a point further away from the center of the wheel. It requires much more energy to turn that wheel. The weight savings from the rotors won't do as much. They do not proportionally offset each other. Saving 2lbs on the rotors is not equivalent as saving 2lbs at the wheels.

For road use I don't see a problem. But in a performance perspective, it's not ideal.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have a set of super light wheels/tires that I'm keeping (LSS/Slicks), so these would be for standard duty, and photography.

I actually like the LSS wheels a lot. I might be in the minority here, but I actually like smaller wheels rather than bigger wheels with rubberband tires. Those 15" welds on slicks that you see on many old school American muscle cars gets my blood flowing. But to each their own.:clap:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually like the LSS wheels a lot. I might be in the minority here, but I actually like smaller wheels rather than bigger wheels with rubberband tires. Those 15" welds on slicks that you see on many old school American muscle cars gets my blood flowing. But to each their own.:clap:
I too like the LSS wheels, but feel the 16" front is just too small aesthetically, and the tire selection certainly leaves much to desired. I know there are a lot of guys here that like the fat sidewall commonplace on competition tires, but they don't do anything for me. But by the same token, I don't like rubberband tires either. I'm looking for a balance, just for photography purposes, and it's just really hard to strike with the Lotus.

My current plans are the silver Cup Car wheels, but they're pretty pricey, so it depends on what I can sell before this last set that VMR has is gone.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I too like the LSS wheels, but feel the 16" front is just too small aesthetically, and the tire selection certainly leaves much to desired.
That's insane. 16" tire selection leaves much to be desired? Where are you looking?

If you catch me with anything bigger than a 16/17 combination on my Lotus (only needed to clear my BBK) please shoot me.

I hate sport cars that "sport" oversize wheels. You're adding significant rotational weight where it's least desired, especially when you factor in the heavier tire. I'd run a 15/16 combination if they'd clear my brakes.

San

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's insane. 16" tire selection leaves much to be desired? Where are you looking?

If you catch me with anything bigger than a 16/17 combination on my Lotus (only needed to clear my BBK) please shoot me.

I hate sport cars that "sport" oversize wheels. You're adding significant rotational weight where it's least desired, especially when you factor in the heavier tire. I'd run a 15/16 combination if they'd clear my brakes.

San
San,

No need to get upset, not every Lotus owner lives their life a 10th of a second at a time, live and let live sir :).

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

San
San... How big are those brakes?

Even F1 cars do not use 17/18 combination, and they seem to look pleasing.

When most women were skinny, ol Rubins made a living with fat women pictures. Now it is the other way, and most yearn for skinny.

Every one seems to believe that unique is better. But it is only different.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
San,

No need to get upset, not every Lotus owner lives their life a 10th of a second at a time, live and let live sir :).
Not upset. 16 inch tires are plentiful for many performance applications. I hate The Fast and the Furious XX (fill in the number).

San... How big are those brakes?
315mm front/330mm rear rotors. AP Racing 4-pots on all corners.

San

1 - 20 of 41 Posts