The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm new to these boards. I used to autocross with my dad years ago when he had his 2005 Lotus Elise. in late 2006, it was totaled and he passed away in the resulting accident. I haven't autocrossed since but am planning on getting back into it this year with my new BRZ!

I know there were a few Lotus drivers besides us back then who autocrossed with SCCA and TSSCC and was wondering if you're out there on these forums?? I have some parts/etc. that have been in the garage that you might be interested in - waiting for my "probation" period on here to finish up before I can post them in the classifieds...let me know if there's anyone out there that I may be seeing this summer!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
There is a Autocross at Boomers stadium almost every weekend. The Miata club is very active and are happy to have new people. I believe windy city miata is the club.

We did autocross for a bit but after doing track days the enthusiasm for autox has definitely gone down.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Autobahn has technically 3 tracks, north, south and full. There is Blackhawk and Kim and I run over to Gingerman. Of you look in the Midwest forum that have a big thread on all the spirited drives and track days.

I find it easy to go to the tracks webpage and look at their calendar and you typically do not have to be a member of that club thats hosting the day to sign up

I have run with CGI, and all the different clubs. Always good times

·
He's on fire!
3,447 Posts
Audi Club chicago does autox as well. I'm more likely to show up at one of theirs because the crowd is smaller. I haven't done PCA autox in the past because they've been all over, but this year looks like they're hanging around local so i'll probably give them a shot.

Miata club is very well organized and everyone is very friendly, but there's about a million cars that come (although its so well run you still get 10 or more runs usually).

AutoX - true competition, cheap, new track every time, low amount of seat time per day
Track - not a competition, more expensive, course is consistent, higher amount of seat time per day

If you're going to try a track day do it with a good organization that will put an instructor with you. My reco would be Audi Club Chicago

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
First of all, sorry to hear about your dad and that story. Welcome and you have my condolences.

Others have noted, check the Miata and Audi Forums - they seem to be the most active and you can typically find an AX event every other weekend during the summer (Boomers Stadium in Schaumburg, Toyota Park).

I'm just not a big fan. Every time I've done it, I do the math and realize that I was in a parking lot for 6 hours and effectively had total windshield time of 5-6 minutes (usually wind up with 4 runs of about 75 secs each). The rest of the day is spent burning in the sun standing by a cone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.