The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to locate an owner's manual for the car's alarm system.

According to the documentation that came with the car, the alarm system is a Cobra model 8186. There's a little info in the car owner's manual about it, but not much. I'm sure it can do other things. You press the small button twice to disarm the motion sensor, but what happens if you only press once? Does that do something? And I know there are options available from Cobra, like a window closure module, but will it work with this model?

Cobra isn't sold in the US, I think, but I've done an online search, and the Cobra website does come up. Unfortunately, this model isn't listed, and besides, the info on the website is fairly useless. I'm only able to find one or 2 UK retailers who even sell the system.

What I really want is the alarm system owner's manual. That should give a better pic of what it can do. Anyone have an idea where I might find that?

Here's a website that lists the features:
Cobra 8186

Can anyone explain these features?

- Automatic re-arming in case of accidental disarming
- Perimetric protection by contact
- Pre-set ultrasonic volumetric protection
- Hyperfrequency volumetric sensor (optional)
- Controlled comfort windows closure
- Controlled windows closure for cars without built in comfort feature (optional)
- Doors closure control (this isn't central locking)
- Courtesy light operation when disarming (I guess Lotus didn't use this)
- Accessories output by remote control

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi there Pinmagic,

That's strange if Cobra is no longer sold in the US. I believe they used to be fairly big here. I hope it wouldn't become a total pain to get the alarm customized/upgraded if the need arose.

To answer your question about some of those extra features, I'll take a shot.

- Automatic re-arming in case of accidental disarming

I think this means the alarm will automatically activate itself if it senses the doors have been closed for more than x amount of seconds. My Clifford alarm has a feature like this. I ended up disabling it because I didn't want to have the alarm activating itself and locking my doors when my keys were still in the car! Heh, call me paranoid.

- Perimetric protection by contact
- Pre-set ultrasonic volumetric protection
- Hyperfrequency volumetric sensor (optional)

I'm not sure, but these three seem to tie together. High end alarms usually have multiple zones of protection which is nice for convertibles. The inner zone will be if someone sticks their hand inside the car, the alarm will automatically go off if armed. There is another zone with extends like a sphere around the car. Depending on the sensitivity of it, it will give off a warning chirp if it detects any motion within that sphere. If the motion persists, the alarm will go off. I have my sensitivity tuned down so that if someone is walking by it nothing will happen. However, if someone sticks their hand or face right up against the car it might send a warning chirp. If someone waves their hand/arm over the convertible top, it will definitely chirp and go off if it doesn't stop quickly.

- Controlled comfort windows closure
- Controlled windows closure for cars without built in comfort feature (optional)

With the added window module, setting the alarm will make all of the windows roll up to provide maximum protection. On a very hot day, you might want them to stop short an inch or so, and their is a button combo that will tell the window module to stop short a certain distance. With the Clifford, there are a few different settings, not that I've used it much at all.

:)

- Doors closure control (this isn't central locking)
- Accessories output by remote control

Not sure about these two.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

Actually, Cobra is still sold in the US, but not Cobra alarms -- only radar detectors, GPS, FRS radios, etc. In fact, I'm not sure that's the same Cobra that makes the Elise car alarm.

I think the Elise does use some form of the auto re-arming. I recall manually locking the doors one time. To do that, you turn the key in the outside lock, and the button disengages. The pins inside don't go down, so it looks like the car is unlocked, but the outside button won't open the car. In theory, then, the alarm is off. But when I came back later, the alarm was on. So I guess that was the auto re-arming. Yuck. But on the upside, IIRC, it didn't lock the doors (drop the pins).

On my car, the motion sensor is too sensitive. A heavy rainstorm repeatedly set off the alarm. I tried setting off the alarm by shaking the car, and I couldn't, so I guess the sensor that senses motion inside the car was being triggered by the rain somehow. The dealer tells me he recalls an adjustment, but it requires removing the seats to get to it. I'll have to investigate further.

As for the window closure, that would be nice. When I put the soft top on, I lower the windows to make it easier. Then, when I'm done, I have to climb back in, insert the key, and roll them up.

Shame, tho, that since this alarm isn't sold in the US, we're gonna have a hard time getting info or accessories. :(

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I am also interested in the alarm, but for different reasons...

Did a little checking on the 'net -- as far as I can tell, "Cobra alarms" might not be the same "Cobra electronics" that we have here in the states. A quick search found a "Cobra" company making alarms, but based in Italy. It sure looks like the stuff we're looking for. Try giving these guys a call regarding a manual.

Hope this helps...:)

http://www.cobra.it/eng/Products/index.htm

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I wonder where the sensor is inside the car for arm intrusion? I looked around and didn't see anything obvious - any one know where it's located and what it looks like? photo maybe?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I don't get this alarm. It does not come with glass, shock, and jacking sensors. These are all options. WTF what kind of protection is it with out them. I banged all around my car and couldn't set the alarm off :rolleyes: It's not gonna do much good in letting me know if the car is being vandalized or being tampered with.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I did a little more snooping around the Cobra (Italy) website.

It looks like the best chance we have of getting anything regarding manuals is by contacting Cobra's UK distributor, "Vestatec".

I tried emailing them regarding a manual, but got a server-location error. If anyone has better luck, let everyone know...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
I don't get this alarm. It does not come with glass, shock, and jacking sensors. These are all options. WTF what kind of protection is it with out them. I banged all around my car and couldn't set the alarm off :rolleyes: It's not gonna do much good in letting me know if the car is being vandalized or being tampered with.
How many vehicles come with such an extensive alarm system from the factory? People usually turn to the aftermarket for alarms like that.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, I had already found the Italy website. It doesn't list our model, tho. I wrote to them a couple of days ago, with no luck. I also wrote to a major retailer in the UK that sells this model, again with no luck. Hmmmm...

My dealer's service mgr said he thinks the sensor is in a panel between/behind the seats, and that you need to take the seats out to get to it.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
cerven,
the cockpit intrusion sensor is mounted on the rear bulkhead between the seats. They remind you not to put any metal objects in the cargo net to interfere with the signal.

1fast.
I don't know about all those options, the car does have cockpit intrusion, it also has immobilizer and motion sensor, my friends silver elise was parked outside in a thunderstorm with very high winds and it set the motion sensor off. Also if any of the doors or the bootlid are opened the alarm will sound. Seems a great system to me.

Also, it really depends on how you've armed the alarm and whether the doors were locked with the remote or not. Also, it takes 45 seconds for the alarm to fullly arm when actuated.

Chris

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The Cobra alarm is manufactured in Italy by Delta Elettronica.

One ad on the 'net showed a price of £349.90 for the system, so I think we got a bargain getting it with the Elise.

It is really more of an immobilizer than simply an alarm. It automatically re-arms the immobilizer after a short time with the ignition off. The alarm seems to need to be manually set by pressing the button on the key fob. Pressing it again, disarms the alarm and the immobilizer. If the system automatically re-activates, it is just the immobilizer - not the alarm, and pressing the key fob turns off the immobilizer. With only the immobilizer on, you are free to open the doors, boot, etc.; the car just won't start without pressing the key fob button...

I wonder if the factory service manual will have more detailed instructions on how to set the various parameters for the alarm system?

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
pinmagic said:
Yep, I had already found the Italy website. It doesn't list our model, tho.
It's there under Bridge Modular Line 8000, AC8168

Picture reflects model AK8188 very similar to the other one.

If you go to the accessories check 47777, does it look familiar?

Dynamic code remote control, auto-learning procedure, waterproof with long battery (3-5 years)
antiscan, anti code grabbing (for 315 MHz version part number is 4T7778)

It seems they have a more complicated FOV

5 buttons remote control with identification access code, auto-learning procedure, waterproof, with long battery (3-5 years), antiscan, anti code grabbing

Here are some optional items they offer for BRIDGE MODULAR LINE 8000 Model AC8168:

Hyperfrequency volumetric sensor Op 5462
Anti jacking sensor Op 5452
Glass break sensor Op 138
Shock sensor Op 2057

Controlled windows closure for cars without built in comfort feature Op 2980

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oops! Not sure why I said it wasn't listed there. I had seen it on that site.

As for the price of 349 Pounds, I think that may be installed. I saw it listed at a UK site for less than 150 Pounds, I think.

Per the manual, you can deactivate the internal motion sensor (while leaving the immobiliser active) by pressing the small button TWICE within 20 seconds after activating the alarm. I've been doing that when parking at home, cause I don't want the thing going off in another rainstorm, like it did the first night I owned it. (It went off repeatedly throughout the night, I think.) I'd hate for neighbors to call the management company and have it towed!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
pinmagic said:
Per the manual, you can deactivate the internal motion sensor (while leaving the immobilizer active) by pressing the small button TWICE within 20 seconds after activating the alarm.
You can also deactivate the motion sensor by switching the interior light to the upper (off) position.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TimMullen said:
You can also deactivate the motion sensor by switching the interior light to the upper (off) position.

Tim Mullen
Hmmm....I saw something in the manual that said if the light is off, the sensor might not work. So, does that mean that, with the top off, someone could conceivably reach in (setting the alarm off), and turn off the light, thus deactivating the motion sensor? Even if it continues to ring thru that cycle, he could leave, and come back a few minutes later, to be free to mess with the car without the alarm sounding. Far-fetched, I know, but within the realm of possibility.

(As you can tell, I have too much time on my hands.)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
pinmagic said:
someone could conceivably reach in (setting the alarm off), and turn off the light, thus deactivating the motion sensor?
Sssssshhhhhhh......

I don't know, it's possible. It's also possible that the alarm would keep the motion detector at the setting that was active when the alarm was turned on. I don't know...

The manual does say:

"When the alarm is triggered, the hazard warning lamps will flash and the electronic wailing siren will sound for a period of approximately 30 seconds before closing down and resetting, ready for any further triggering input. If a trigger is continuously present, the alarm will repeat after a short delay, and continue in this sequence for about 10 cycles."

I guess it means that it will trigger repeatedly for about five minutes before shutting down to stop annoying the neighboors...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
649 Posts
Heh, I must say this sounds like a rather unique alarm. I don't believe I've heard of so many unusual techniques to alter the way it behaves. Turning the light to the off position deactivating the motion sensor? :confused: That's a first for me! :D

Now, it is too bad there is no shock sensor added on to stock. That's a nice extra to have, but it sounds like it will be rather hard to get ahold of the parts not to mention the install.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
clrodrick said:
Now, it is too bad there is no shock sensor added on to stock. That's a nice extra to have, but it sounds like it will be rather hard to get ahold of the parts not to mention the install.
Maybe not so hard after all. My experience with car alarms IS limited, but the one I installed had inputs for other sensors. There's nothing magic about those inputs – if the input went to ground (or maybe it was 12V...can't remember but doesn't matter), then the sensor is considered triggered. If this same logic applies to the Elise's alarm, all you need to do is find any aftermarket sensor and use that instead. Worst case, you may need to use a relay so that a ground signal from the sensor is converted to a 12V signal at the alarm input, but that'd be pretty simple to troubleshoot. ;)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suspect some of our UK members would have no problem getting the options for us, if we asked reallllllllly nicely! :wave:

I'm not sure I want any of those -- I just want the friggin manual!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts