The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After doing quite a few track experience days in Lotii and having driven a few friends' cars in the UK, I've decided it's time to dip my toe into Lotus ownership.

I'd really have liked to buy that racing green Elise that Gentry Lane had for sale last week, but it looks like I'm a little slow off the mark!

So instead I was looking at the S1 that's for sale - being a Brit, having the steering wheel on the proper side wouldn't be a problem for me, but I've no idea what the history of the car is and/or what to look for when buying an S1 Elise.

Does anybody on here know the car and/or have any tips on what to look out for in general? The somewhat notorious K-Series does bother me a bit - if the engine rebuild has been done well then it should be good for a few years yet, but if not then it sounds like it might be a world of pain...

Many thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi guys,

After doing quite a few track experience days in Lotii and having driven a few friends' cars in the UK, I've decided it's time to dip my toe into Lotus ownership.

I'd really have liked to buy that racing green Elise that Gentry Lane had for sale last week, but it looks like I'm a little slow off the mark!

So instead I was looking at the S1 that's for sale - being a Brit, having the steering wheel on the proper side wouldn't be a problem for me, but I've no idea what the history of the car is and/or what to look for when buying an S1 Elise.

Does anybody on here know the car and/or have any tips on what to look out for in general? The somewhat notorious K-Series does bother me a bit - if the engine rebuild has been done well then it should be good for a few years yet, but if not then it sounds like it might be a world of pain...

Many thanks!
Hey,

A I'm the one selling the car, feel free to give me a call. the engine rebuild has been done very well, happy to provide you all the receipts and name/number for the garage that did the work ( Paul Matty Sports in Birmingham). I have all the paperwork for the car from new.

+1 647 262 7356

If you in the GTA, I'll be at Saturns Exotic car cruise on Sat as well. Take it for a drive yourself.

Ken./

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I'm glad a RHD doesn't bother you. It does scare people off a bit and I really don't know why. I suppose it's the lack of visibility when overtaking? There are so many numpties on the road that drive slow in the fast lane that undertaking becomes a breeze when driving RHD!!!

I actually tried to by yonexp's car before he did but didn't quite have the funds. IIRC the car is a very good example. TBH I think he's asking too little. But of course I would say that!!!

There is a LOT of information on the S1 Elise online. I did an INORDINATE amount of research on them before deciding on purchasing one. The biggest thing I found is the information on the headgasket problems of the K-series. If that has been done, it will pretty much be bulletproof. Remember, these cars are super-simple in their design. Pretty much any idjit could fix the niggly things that crop up... including me.

Fun per $? Nothing beats it. Nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think the K-series got a rather undeserved bad rep. As long as you've got the steel head dowels (instead of the retarded plastic ones!) The head doesn't wriggle about and eat the cylinder liners. If the head has ever been off the engine, it'll have been fitted with a new head gasket that also comes with the steel dowels, so wouldn't be an issue here - and if the liners have been done too, then you're golden.

Then it sounds like you fix the overheating and head gasket munchies by simply moving the thermostat to the engine output rather than cold water return from the radiator.

Otherwise the only other last long-term destroyer of K-series engines is poorly balanced replacement parts, which is the only bit that might be an issue if it's had new pistons and flywheel. But I'm sure the place that did the work would be able to confirm balancing figures.

But yes, RHD is completely normal for me, but like you say, it does seem to irrationally scare the rest of the world and that's probably why it's been a bit of a struggle to sell the S1 here.

I've also driven both the S1 and S2 - they're both an absolute hoot, but I have to say the S2 gives me a little bit more of a "tingle". A little bit more mental looking, a little bit more power and a little bit more refined.

That being said, the S1 is a damned-sight cheaper and like you say - a whole lot of fun per $!

Sadly I'm sans vehicle at the moment, so I'm tempted to come join you guys for the tour to see some Lotus folk, but it'd have to be in some sort of awful rental haha.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That 'tingle' will cost you about $20k more in Canada.

Dom, if your seriously interested, let me know. If your in the GTA I can possibly meet you if your not to far from me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha well plan A was to go for an Atom, but it seems like the Canadian government thinks that's far too much like fun.

Having said that, I do like the idea of something I can actually drive other than just to/from the track. AC in an S2 seems like a bit of a winner for that in the summer... but then maybe I'm getting old and need these luxuries haha.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Haha well plan A was to go for an Atom, but it seems like the Canadian government thinks that's far too much like fun.

Having said that, I do like the idea of something I can actually drive other than just to/from the track. AC in an S2 seems like a bit of a winner for that in the summer... but then maybe I'm getting old and need these luxuries haha.

I have been driving the S1 with no problems without A/C. In addition the S2 A/C is not exactly the best to begin with, +driving with the top off seems to negate a lot of any effect.

Each to there own. $20k+ for A/C seems a little high to me.

But post some pic's of the S2 when you get it, lots of interest in here for new owners and their cars.

Why don't you take it for a test drive anyway. As I aid, more than happy to speak to a fellow Brit about the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Your in luck, there is a street legal Atom for sale in Toronto:

Ariel Atom 2 SC - street legal (only one I know of in Canada) - City of Toronto Cars For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha yeah that was actually what revived my whole quest for a track car.

I can't really afford or justify $120k on a toy, but it hasn't stopped me going back to that ad and looking quite a few times.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You want an Atom, and a track car in general, but not an S1 coz it does not have A/C like the Atom, but will get an S2 which does and is 200kg and $20k more.

You were original interested in learning more about the S1, but have not asked me one question or even commented on my offer to meet you and let you test drive/inspect it.

Not sure you know what you want mate. My friend sells mini Coopers, that might be a good alternative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts