The Lotus Cars Community banner

Would you be down for a new carbon fiber elise side skirt?

• ya I may buy them at that price if they look good

Votes: 66 73.3%
  • no, not interested

Votes: 24 26.7%
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always wanted side skirts, but there arent too many options.
The Reverie ones are just too flat looking, the esta ones probably wont make it in one piece, and the kobayashi ones are insane expensive for guys in the US. I found someone in the US who could produce carbon fiber skirts to whatever template I made and at the same price of the Reverie ones (around $800). I'm thinking of making a 3D template similar to the kobayashi ones with a couple other changes worked in and getting with them to have it made. Question is would others possibly be interested? Also any other ideas for a good looking elise side skirt?

Here is the kobayashi skirt for reference...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would these fit an Exige ?

Side skirts were going to be a "off season" addition I was planning on making....

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
If a manufacturer was able to replicate your design I'm sure they'd look great. :up:

Also, if they had enough flair to help restrict the debris thrown up on the body that would be a great bonus.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Just to let you know....APR is fabricating CF side skirts for the Elise - I should have them on my car within the month....
They are very proficient with aero....

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm down, i have an Exige so I'm interested in some that would fit an Exige obviously.

I think the Koboashi' ones look pretty good, they have some height and they seem to match up to the front fender in a very slick factory look.

I've thought about trying to make some..buy some foam, and get to sanding...but who knows..i may drink beer and play video games instead.

I'm in for a purchase

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Have always wanted side skirts, but....

I have the Gut vented fenders that would probably cause fitment issues.

I like the squared design from Reverie more that the curved simply because it is more efficient. Aesthetically, the curved suits the cars better of course, but wouldn't be as efficient or block road grime and water as well as a fully squared design.

The "mudflap" could even be negated if the side skirts were designed in such a way that dually created downforce and while blocking all road grime/debris. VERY LOTUS also

-Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

I like the squared design from Reverie more that the curved simply because it is more efficient. Aesthetically, the curved suits the cars better of course, but wouldn't be as efficient or block road grime and water as well as a fully squared design.

The "mudflap" could even be negated if the side skirts were designed in such a way that dually created downforce and while blocking all road grime/debris. VERY LOTUS also

-Robert
That CF lip/mudflap/awesomeness is awesomeness.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Seems to me that given the width of the door sill already it's going to make getting in and out of the car almost rediculous... but not quite as funny as the look on someone face when your trying to explain to them not to use them as a step getting in and out... or when you're explaining why they're hanging half off becuase they scrubbed them on a driveway. THe car is already pretty low... i suspect the designs are so flat just that reason.

Don't get me wrong... i think that kobayashi piece looks pretty good on a white car. But that APR design looks more appropriate as a nice running baord for my slab sided G500. It just needs a little polished steel diamond plate glued onto the stepping surfaces. It looks WAY too aftermarket. It's gaudy.... i don't mean to be a spoil sport, just giving an alternative viewpoint.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
great opportunity for a "NOT A STEP" sticker like on jets

-Robert

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the mudflap idea. The kobayashi design seems mostly aesthetic while the reverie in all function. I think creating a kobayashi styled skirt with the same width and flat bottom fuction would combine the best of both world. I would imagine you could still jack the car up in the same way. Its just about a 1/4 carbon panel in your way, worst case you could cut a circle were the jack point is. Also the underpanels would still be removable. Here is how they would mount up...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have always wanted side skirts, but there arent too many options.
The Reverie ones are just too flat looking, the esta ones probably wont make it in one piece, and the kobayashi ones are insane expensive for guys in the US. I found someone in the US who could produce carbon fiber skirts to whatever template I made and at the same price of the Reverie ones (around $800). I'm thinking of making a 3D template similar to the kobayashi ones with a couple other changes worked in and getting with them to have it made. Question is would others possibly be interested? Also any other ideas for a good looking elise side skirt?

Here is the kobayashi skirt for reference...

Hmmmm, that looks suspiciously like my car.. :wave:

If
Also, if they had enough flair to help restrict the debris thrown up on the body that would be a great bonus.
My BSK ones stop a ton of debris from getting thrown up on the car, especially when running the Hoosier A6's...

Just to let you know....APR is fabricating CF side skirts for the Elise - I should have them on my car within the month....
They are very proficient with aero....
I have the APR Canards from Secotor111... Definitely some good quality stuff..

how would you use a jack on the car?
Low profile jack barely fits and my car that is lowered a bit... I do use a Black Watch Racing hockey puck on the jack pad so it engages the lift point before the jack starts putting force on the side step....

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the info, you car looks amazing with the skirts! When I saw them on yours I tried contacting kobayashi about getting some but the shipping turned me off. It looks like the kobayashi skirts attatch using self tapping screws, is that how you got them on?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
thanks for the info, you car looks amazing with the skirts! When I saw them on yours I tried contacting kobayashi about getting some but the shipping turned me off. It looks like the kobayashi skirts attatch using self tapping screws, is that how you got them on?
Yea their shipping costs to the USA are WAY expensive... Cost of shipping is probably the same for one set or 10 though so if you got a group buy together on them it would lessen the cost of shipping a lot... Issue would be they'd have to all go to one person and then be reshipped to each group buy member :(. I'm actually going to Tokyo shortly and picking up their new front lip spoiler (splitter) and my rear stock wing that I had them modify.. Also have a bunch more stuff I'm working on body wise that should be done soon.. O' and getting a TVS supercharger so it'll have the power to go with the new look and down force.. :D

As for mounting I used self tapping stainless steel screws with one inch diameter washers directly in to the fiberglass body... 3 at each end in a triangle pattern and anouther 5 or 6 evenly spaced down the length. It's been on the car now for over a year with zero issues...

Edit: I will accept donations to help pay for all the toys.. lol

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'd buy them in fiberglass to paint body color :) Bring em on.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i have the GUT fenders and the Reverie side skirts. they fit fine but i think you may have to cut some on the carbon in the front, to get by the fender. i haver both with no problems.

-Robert

1 - 20 of 101 Posts