The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a jeep wrangler or sahara or anything similar to it.
under 3k preferred.
1995 +
manual or auto
2wd or 4wd
4 cylinder preffered
soft or hard or both tops preffered
runs, just to toss around in.
Any one who knows one or if you drive pass by one let me know please...I would really appreciate it.
Ive tried
craigs
cars.com
carmax
ebay

I would preffer buying it from a reliable person... like the LT family...and just in case another earthquake comes along, I can drive over all the lotus'. J/K
:popcorn:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I am looking for a jeep wrangler or sahara or anything similar to it.
under 3k preferred.
1995 +
manual or auto
2wd or 4wd
4 cylinder preffered
soft or hard or both tops preffered
runs, just to toss around in.
A few things to keep in mind: All wranglers are 4x4's. There is not and has never been a 2wd version. There is also no 1996 model (skip year when Chrysler bought 'em). Both tops is about $1,400, even used. If you honestly want a Wrangler for about $3k you are going to need to save up and get the engine and transmission later. Seriously. Even in rough shape they are more than $3k just as the nature of what the vehicle is. I have a '99 TJ 6cyl 5speed with 84k miles on it that needs a bit of work and even then around here it's still an $8k truck all day. I've seen them SELL for $5k with 200k miles, no top, and a smoking engine.

Some vehicles hit a plateau and never seem to go down any further in value, much akin to a Porsche 911. The Wranglers seem to hit this around $6k. CJ's are often appreciating even in the face of the gas crises.

I wish you luck in your hunt, though if you just want a 4x4 to get out and play in or a convertible-based off-roader I'd suggest looking for an older Toyota 4runner, a Suzuki Sidekick or Samurai. You can find plenty of those in the $3k range in decent shape as they simply didn't hold value the way the Wranglers do.

·
Registered
491 Posts
the 2007+ Wrangler can come in 2 wheel drive...sad but true
and you can totally find a high mileage YJ or even a TJ for 3k, but going to be tough for 95+....search craigslist-

·
Registered
317 Posts
You really want a '97 or newer. I'd avoid the YJ model produced from '87 to '95. Used Jeeps can be subject to a lot of abuse and price is usually directly associated with condition and mileage like most any other used car. There are deals to be had. I picked up a '86 CJ cheap from a guy who owned it as a second vehicle and then gave it to his daughter to drive at college. I think she flunked out and lost her ride. Stock size tires and lack of undercarriage filth are good signs.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
the 2007+ Wrangler can come in 2 wheel drive...sad but true
and you can totally find a high mileage YJ or even a TJ for 3k, but going to be tough for 95+....search craigslist-
I remember reading that they had planned to do so but didn't think they were dumb enough. As I am actually looking at replacing my '99 with a newer one (though I'll probably come to my senses and get a Tacoma or Frontier) I have the newest brochure here. No 2wd anywhere, everything is standard with 4x4 on the Wranglers; ditto the official Jeep website. ??? Is it something for the Unlimited 4-door maybe?

I would really hate to see how bad the $3k TJ would be... I would certainly not expect a clean title.

Without a doubt, the '97+ is the way to go as most of the '95's (last of the leaf spring generation) are about the same price and general performance, but not as comfortable.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
For $3000 you will more than likely be stuck with a YJ (square headlights) and it will probably be in fairly rough shape. There will still be deals out there, you'll just have to look around a bit.

The 4cyl. will give you better mileage but in my opinion it isn't enough to offset the substantial lack of power, a 6cyl. is what you want. Like everything else in life, buy the nicest one you can afford.

Here is a picture of a $3000 Rubicon parked next to a Miata:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Four banger early TJs sell for close to your budget. I picked up a 1997 with no options and a torn soft top for 2k with 84k on it. I added a hardtop and put in the clutch and radiator it needed and sold it for 4k a year later. It sold within a few hours of listing at 4k.

150k and a soft top four cylinder you can get for 3k if you look hard enough.

Personally, I would buy a used land rover discovery or range rover classic. 2k will buy a decent one all day and 3k gets you a pretty nice one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks fellas for all the input:clap:.
I did go to the dealer by canoga park in ca. and test drove the
2 wd.
hardtop
4 dr. manual w/ ac.
no power window
15 and 19 on highway (mpg)
going for 21k

the sales person said that their wranglers are their top seller no matter what the economy is (so their $2.99 a gallon gas promo doesnt apply). But they also said that they are starting a program where a potential buyer can put a deposit of $500 and they will go to jeep/chrysler auction for you and bid to the cars that you would like. If your bid wins they will give you $400 maintenance credit and $100 gas card...

thanks ksdaoski...i did check them out and i got a hold of most of the sellers and going for the test drives tonight. :bow:

And they dont have any 2 door 2 x 2 only 4 x 4s:shrug:

Over all performance of the car...what can i say it's a jeep.:thwack:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
2 wd.
15 and 19 on highway (mpg)
going for 21k

Over all performance of the car...what can i say it's a jeep.
It looks as if you are needing an around town run-about rather than something that is capable off road, if that is the case, you are looking at the wrong kind of vehicle. Think of a Wrangler as the polar opposite of an Elise, it is livable as a daily driver but with a heavy bias towards off road performance. The one listed above in the ebay link with street tires and two wheel drive don't make any sense to me, why not just get a 4cyl Camry which would be far happier on the street and get almost twice the mileage. The demand for them is so strong because they are so capable off road, a 2wd version doesn't really have anything going for it and I imagine demand for such a thing is going to be pretty soft.

24lotus24 said:
the sales person said that their wranglers are their top seller no matter what the economy is (so their $2.99 a gallon gas promo doesnt apply).
This is also why decent Wranglers on the used market hold strong resale values.

I have a 2004 Rubicon edition and love it to death. The places this thing has taken me has given me a whole new respect for the Wrangler, given the chance it could probably climb up a greased pole. Good luck in your search.

Here's mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice Ride!

WoW ... thats a bad boy ride! I test drove 2 wranglers last night. Thank you Dave and Thai... from sherman oaks and s.pasdna. There seems to be a platuea when it comes to prices. I like the looks and feel of a wrangler and maybe its just and itch i need to scratch. Any how, thank you for the pix, but camary is not an option at this point. I may just buy a new one just to have the warranty and sense of security that the car im getting has never been abused.
Although there is this 2005 wrangler blue they keep posting up on craigs list for $4000...and its too good to be true.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow... it is a 2wd (looked for the transfer lever in the pics as no one seems to know what car they have on E-bay..hence the V6 RX7's, etc.)

It is the full-4 door though and even the current '08 brochures have that one with 4x4 standard. Maybe it was just a 1-year deal that didn't market well?
Yeah LY they had it all over the website, now theres pretty much nothing-

·
Registered
351 Posts
Noble, that's one nice looking stuff... :bow:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts