The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any legal gurus who can shed some light on my situation?

I got a fix it ticket for a burned out headlight. Had it fixed the very next day when I went in for an oil change. Was busy, then forgot to drive the 2 hours to get it checked off. Today I got a letter from LAPD saying I owe 899$. They claim I can knock 300 off the top if I don't take it to trial. If I go to trial I have to pay the whole amount, and then schedule a hearing.

Can they seriously charge 899 for a headlight out? Any suggestions or experience in this matter?

Thank you in advance.

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
Call them and inquire. It sounds like a mistake most headlight summonses are $50 and under (most).

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
They only gave you ONE day to get it corrected?!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They only gave you ONE day to get it corrected?!
No ... I had the headlight fixed the next day, had a receipt and everything ready ... then I forgot all about the matter. Until I got a letter in the mail. :(

I'd be happy to pay a late-fee or something. But this is a little extreme.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call them and inquire. It sounds like a mistake most headlight summonses are $50 and under (most).
Therein lies a lot of my frustration. They will not talk to people about anything. I was told they have a policy where they don't talk to people about traffic citations, and direct them to the automated line. The automated line only allows you to pay a ticket or 'file for an arraignment date'. The best part ... the automated line has 'hours' .. lol.

I'm clearly not very savvy at navigating the legal system:).

·
Registered
952 Posts
So basically, you had a period to get it fixed and inspected by the police, you forgot about it, and so you didn't get it inspected during that period? (This might be a relevant detail...)

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
Therein lies a lot of my frustration. They will not talk to people about anything. I was told they have a policy where they don't talk to people about traffic citations, and direct them to the automated line. The automated line only allows you to pay a ticket or 'file for an arraignment date'. The best part ... the automated line has 'hours' .. lol.

I'm clearly not very savvy at navigating the legal system:).

You have a constitutional right to due process and a speedy trail you are not required to pay or be arraigned. You can speak with a prosecutor and possibly plea bargain etc. likely the heightened fee is in lieu of a bench warrant which is how it works out east here. When you forget to pay a summons by the date you are in contempt of court. Usually the judge orders your license suspended and a traffic warrant issued. Seems out by you they do neither and simply jack up the cost of the summons. Plead not guilty and speak with the prosecutor to work something out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good luck. In California they are building new courthouses primarily funded through money ordered by the Court based solely on whether or not the Court finds you guilty. NO tax money is used. Look up "Courthouse Construction Fund" in California. Yup. The Court ONLY gets new courthouses if they can convict enough people. Any ticket other than parking tickets get an additional 50% added to them for the benefit of having the prosecutor or police bribe the Court. The Court, the Prosecutor, and the Police are all in a fine game of stealing money from the average person to build themselves a new office.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Damn, here in Nebraska and Iowa these are just "fix-it" tickets that you get a couple weeks to fix. No cost at all... as long as you don't ignore them for months.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Talk to the procedure he will reduce it to a more fitting fee ( should not be more the $200 IMO), collect from you and not have you go in to the court. At least that has been my experience. If you dont like what he says you can try to fight it but without a lawyer they will bully you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First, I wanted to thank everyone for their help.

I wanted to post an update for reference, in case anyone else has this issue.

I went to the courthouse to pay a $10.00 fee to stop them from actioning a hold on my driver's license. I then went to the sheriff's office and got an inspection for $17.00. I then had to go back to the courthouse to file my inspection papers and schedule a court date. The next step is to show up to court and try to get them to drop the fines.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This worked for me a long time ago (like 10 years ago) but I got a fix it ticket for my exhaust being too loud (I was a ricer) and this was my 2nd ticket so it was just a fine. I went to the arraignment (where you plead guilty or not guilty) and I told the judge that I had fixed my exhaust and that I didn't have any money for the fine. I asked for community service. The judge then looked at my offense and said that he would knock it back down to a fix-able offense and that it would be $10 and I would have to get my exhaust signed off. I told him thank you and when I went to pay, they just dismissed my ticket. Didn't even have to pay $10!

I've gotten 3 or 4 tickets reduced (speeding and what not) this way. The arraignment judge's are usually pretty nice and on average, they have reduced fines to about %50 or more.

Worse case, just plead not guilty and tell the judge what happened. You will have to put up the whole amount to go to court but you stand a real good chance of getting %100 back.

Ken

·
Registered
422 Posts
First, I wanted to thank everyone for their help.

I wanted to post an update for reference, in case anyone else has this issue.

I went to the courthouse to pay a $10.00 fee to stop them from actioning a hold on my driver's license. I then went to the sheriff's office and got an inspection for $17.00. I then had to go back to the courthouse to file my inspection papers and schedule a court date. The next step is to show up to court and try to get them to drop the fines.
When you go to court, bring the receipt for the fixed headlight with you. It should have the date of repair on it, which should help your case. "SHOULD" being the key word. Good luck! Sounds like you're gonna need it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts