The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with using their local Toyota dealership (assuming they would even work on the car) for any service issues other than basic maintenance? For example, to replace cam shafts, valves, etc. I realize a Lotus dealership is the best place to go, but was wondering if anybody had any luck with using a Toyota dealership if their car was out of warranty and the nearest Lotus shop was many hours away.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Negative...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
i think if i was taking it to none lotus experienced service places, i'd learn how to remove the aluminum under panels before bringing it in. I don't trust people to know the feel of tightening screws in aluminum... i'd expect they'd be stripping panens in no time. Otherise any competent shop should be able to do the basic stuff for you. It's a simple car. :)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
As I understand, Lotus reworked the heads on the 2ZZ, meaning that many of the specs would differ from a 2ZZ out of a Toyota.

So I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I wouldn't take my Toyota to a Toyota dealer, so you can imagine my opinion on letting them have my Lotus.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I agree with the others I would avoid the Stearlership at all cost. The only dealership experience I've ever had that I would classify as good was at South Bay Lotus which unfortunately doesn't exist any longer. I'd try to find a local independent service shop before going to another brands dealership.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The very idea gets my blood pressure up. I've bought four new vehicles in the last few years at the local Toyota dealer, Jim Barkley Toyota. Once it took 4 1/2 hours to change oil and balance tires, then had to rebalance them. Not done for highway speed. Last time, 3 1/2 hours to change one tire, me there with a sick kid. Installed a hands free telephone in the Tundra upside down, another visit and two hours later put in right side up with a terminal short. Finally did it myself.
You get the idea. Great vehicles, but I get the feeling that they are trying to keep me from considering using them for any service. :evil:
I would not let them wash the license plate on my Lotus.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Considering I know half the people that work at the Toyota dealership I know and get cost for parts and free labor I have no problems with it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I wouldn't let them work on the car but I have purchased small parts at my local Toyota dealership. I just drive it up and park it right outside service and watch the crowds form. I tell them it's the new Prius convertible coming out in 2010 and gets 95 mpg.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Can a Toyota dealer even do diagnostics on the Elise engine since it's Lotus' ECU?

I doubt they'd work on it due to liability reasons. It's not a Toyota regards of the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts