The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Your first post! Welcome aboard. I'm sure we'll be getting a lot of new members with the deliveries and publicity the car will generate.

At any rate, there are only about 10,000 posts about pricing and dealer markup so have fun looking - no point opening that can of worms again.

Welcome

·
Registered
495 Posts
HK 996

You're looking at a minimum 1-2 year wait if you get on a list now -- I think closer to two

If you want to pay a premium, you can buy one from a dealer or maybe owner/speculator at 'market price,' and skip the list

My advice would be to get on a list with a refundable deposit, and keep your eye on the classifieds to see what 'used' cars begin to trade at -- obviously it will take some time for people to sell, but I think more than a few people, even some 'enthusiasts,' will not be able to live with this car. Some cars wil likely come up for sale prior to your list number being called. Nobody knows what resale will ultimately be, but for sure now is not the time to look for a deal. Supply is a trickle, demand is high (in a relative sense). That may change, or it may not. Time will tell. Euro experience suggest that the cars will hold value reasonably well, but American experience may be different

·
Registered
79 Posts
Or you may talk to manhattan Motor. They told me last week that if you place an order nor, you'll get your car by Feb Mar 2005

bert

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I put myself on the list now, by the time (1 yr+) the car gets here, do you think I still need to pay markup? Also do I bargin with the dealer when I get on the list?

grudkin said:
HK 996

You're looking at a minimum 1-2 year wait if you get on a list now -- I think closer to two

If you want to pay a premium, you can buy one from a dealer or maybe owner/speculator at 'market price,' and skip the list

My advice would be to get on a list with a refundable deposit, and keep your eye on the classifieds to see what 'used' cars begin to trade at -- obviously it will take some time for people to sell, but I think more than a few people, even some 'enthusiasts,' will not be able to live with this car. Some cars wil likely come up for sale prior to your list number being called. Nobody knows what resale will ultimately be, but for sure now is not the time to look for a deal. Supply is a trickle, demand is high (in a relative sense). That may change, or it may not. Time will tell. Euro experience suggest that the cars will hold value reasonably well, but American experience may be different

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Find a dealer with as short a list as you can, that will guarantee MSRP now. You can pay a mark up to get a quicker car. If the markup was under $2500 and got you a car this year, IMO, I would do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randy Chase said:
Find a dealer with as short a list as you can, that will guarantee MSRP now. You can pay a mark up to get a quicker car. If the markup was under $2500 and got you a car this year, IMO, I would do it.

As of now, what's the mark-up range?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
If you want a car very soon, I think $6k or higher.

If you want a car before 2005, maybe $2500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts