The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a matte black vs. White 2011. Was wondering if anyone has a matte black with real life photos. Is the matte finish difficult to maintain without a clear coat?

·
Registered
548 Posts
if you're not planning on having the car inside your house as an art piece, I would go for the white 2011. Supposedly the matte black is really soft and it's very very hard to maintain.

There is someone on the forum who painted it Matte Black and put a 3m clearbra on the whole thing... but that kind of defeats the purpose of matte black.

Go for the white! best color ever. I would have had it in white if I didn't get a good deal on a black one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I love my matte black. I've had it a little shy of a year and have had no problems with the paint at all. I do try my best to take care of it - and realize it won't be a "forever" paint -- but the comments I get on it are unbelievable. I had a good laugh at the Copperstate rally/car show when the Ferrari owner parked next to me told me that when I was away everyone was completely ignoring his car to check out the Exige. Every time I walk into my garage and look at the car I love it a little bit more.

I obviously made my choice - so I'm biased - but I'd go for the Matte Black. It's unique in a sea of shiny cars - and seems to compliment the tiny figure of our cars better than any other car I've seen in matte black.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think there is a clear bra designed specifically for matte paint...?
i have the 3M matte bra on my matte black. Works like a charm. You cannot really see it unless one examine it at a close distance.

Actually, matte paint is not that difficult except for the water stains.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I saw the Matte Black final edition at Pebble Beach and it's a STUNNING car. Matte Black is one of those colors that ONLY looks good on some cars. For example, I'm not fond of black on the Elise, but love it on the Exige.

The only other car I saw in Matte Black that looked better is a Aventador (and yeah, if you look close, you can see the black and silver Veyron inside the showroom through the window).

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matte clear coat?

Wasn't aware matte paints had a clear coat. I assumed no clear coat and the paint is softer...Lotus of Pittsburg mentioned special care instructions from Lotus on matte black

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
The streets are matte black.

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
This is Matt Kemp.

He is black. He is hurt, so technically 'on the street':