The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Im currently renovating a house that had water damage due to 7 really crappy skylights. Im tearing out ugly paneling ( barf) and the attachments below are what is behind the walls. I know some mold is VERY dangerous to the point that you have to have it professionally removed. One of the worst molds is called stacybotra or something...and its black jut like this mold I found.
Here's a page with mold types and my mold looks JUST like some of the dangerous ones but I also imagine alot of mold looks alike. Has anyone seen mold like this before or know anything about it????

types of mold,
http://www.hcronline.com/mold/identification_of_molds.htm

MY mold,
 

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,083 Posts
Not a mold expert, but I just read recently some report that most mold danger was a myth fabricated by companies that profit from the lawsuits and removals.

Dunno.

If it was me, [greek wedding]I would spray it with windex. [/greek wedding] or bleach. Or disinfectant. Or hire someone. Wait, I didn't say that. :)

I did have my asbestos ceilings (popcorn crap) removed in this house. Not cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
in 13 years of pharmacy i have never seen anyone with a mold infection. if you want to be careful buy a dust mask they are only a couple of bucks then spray mold with bleach water it will completely disappear in a day or so
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we may go the bleach route. We're tearing all that wall out so it doesnt matter but I guess I dont want to breathe the spores. Im allergic to everything including bleach, mold, dust, green things, etc. I'm used to bad headaches almost constantly so I dont want to irritate my fragile system :rolleyes: if I dont have to. I HATE allergies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
buy one of those bug/weed sprayers, the type with plastic drum you pump to pressurize, fill it with diluted bleach water and spray hell out of it.

I think a lot of this mold thing is a lot like the scam the heating/a/c companies have come up to charge exorbitant prices to vacuum out your ductwork.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
Jen, I think Randy has it right a lot of this is myth from some very a very high priced mold removal industry. Throughout a lot of college I did renovation work on student housing during the summer. We found a lot of what you picture from leaky roofs and bathroom fixtures. Lots of mold in lots of colors, never once did I get sick or even have allergic reaction to it. We didn't think anything of it other than some it it really stunk. Hey I'm no expert but this deadly mold stuff strikes me a great big scam!
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,107 Posts
Jen,

I am an expert in filtration and have studied the mold situation extensively. Tearing this wall out is a good idea. Please wear a HEPA level mask, generally designated N100. 3M makes excellent masks.

Mold has been overblown by the media but it is still dangerous - especially in the amount of contamination you have.

Call me to discuss in detail. (909)551.0900
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
You can use a tight face mask ala car painters to try to filter out smaller sized particles. For protection you can easily find a micro-pore mask. An alternate to bleach is muranic acid (found in pool stores). Bottom line is you want a dessicant (anything that'll dry out the mold)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
My uncle is a general contractor and owns a mold remediation <sp> company in Florida. I would send him the pictures, but unfortunately, he doesn't own a computer or use email. He has told me a bit about his business, though. Mold can be extremely dangerous. If you have the bad kind, you need someone like him to come in and professionally remove it all. I know it's not a BS industry because he works closely with PhD's who study mold and gets tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars from insurance companies for his work. Insurance companies aren't in the business of getting ripped off.

Anyhow, if you're not sick, it's probably not the bad kind of mold. Please note that I have no knowledge whatsoever about mold or illnesses associated with it. Anyhow, that's my opinion. However, you'll probably want to cut out all the affected drywall or plaster anyway and spray the underlying studs or CMS construction with some anti-mold chemical (if there is one, LOL) and replace it all. Even if the mold can't harm you, it's better to be safe than sorry, right? And it'll probably look better, too ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
PS - You might want to check if your homeowner's policy will cover mold remediation. You might be able to get this professionally done at no charge to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
downside with hepa masks (the real ones) is you have to be fitted and go through a testing process. These masks (used with TB patients especially) are absolutely no fun to wear, like breathing through mud. Course the mold spores are huge in comparison to bacteria, so perfect is not as essential
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Buy a good mask and spray it with 1/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon water.

I would remove the bad sheetrock and replace with new.

Some people can have asthma problems from this stuff. Good luck with your project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, thanks everyone for the adice, shinoo I may indeed give you a call sometime.

The situation is this, we're tearing out ALL of the plasterboard and walls and replacing with with new anyway. I am not concerned at all with trying to keep any of this. We're gutting the house. My only concern is breathing this stuff in or causing harm to myself while pulling it out. The damage is only in the two rooms which had the skylights and we had the roof torn off and completely replaced so I know the water source is now gone.

We went to home depot to look for a mask to wear but they only have SN95. Some are for paint fumes while others are for sanding...which would be best? They had one mask with cannisters that said " recommended for mold abatement" but it was also SN95.

I asked on my local website too and several guys know people who are in the mold removal business who I may try and call too. I called one place where I didnt have a contact and they wanted $300 just to come out and take a sample. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't be too concerned about the removal, because iirc, mold's ill effects will only occur after long-term exposure. I would get the mask w/ the cannisters and just get the job done as quickly as possible. Demo work usually goes really fast, anyway. I would just get a sawzall and chop out the moldy sections quickly and toss them outside; spray the area w/ DDuncan's solution to kill whatever mold is remaining in the studs, and then everything should be cool.

Of course, that's just me. I'm usually not too concerned about my health and tend to take unnecessary risks.
 

·
insert clever title here
Joined
·
7,702 Posts
You can buy a mold test kit from Home Depot for not much money. For an additional charge ($60?), you can send the sample to a lab for testing, where they'll identify the type of mold for you.

Here in California at least, I'm told that it's generally best to avoid any professional mold testing or mold remediation if possible. It's one of those subjects that really is blown out of proportion, so you're better off if you don't have anything to disclose to future buyers.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top