1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any more suggestions,
Thanks to all who gave me some great suggestions under my post
'Want to make her Growl.'
After watching videos of some of the performance exhaust conversions I'm hell-bent on doing it to my new 2013 Evora .
But after checking with my Lotus dealership in Winston Salem NC they told me that adding both Performance exhaust or Cold air induction will void my warranty.:no:
I'm looking for a way around this without voiding the warranty.
Part of me thinks that they are just misinforming me.
I'm probably in denial about not being able to do this without voiding the warranty. :shrug:

·
Registered
856 Posts
That isn't true. If you modify your car and your modification causes a problem, Lotus obviously is not liable as the modification that you made was the proximate cause of the damage. If you install an intake/exhaust and your radio fails, Lotus has to fix it under warranty as the failure is not causally related to the modification. If you modify the car you need to be ready and willing to fix anything that goes wrong as a result of it but it does not give Lotus carte blanche to refuse to fix anything whatsoever on the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for input, my view exactly.
The difficulty is that this dealership is the only one near me and they have already made there stance in regards to there interpretation of the warranty.
I guess it all boils down to me being willing to do battle with the dealership over any non specific to the conversion warranty issues.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Their interpretation of the warranty doesn't much matter. It's federal law. The Magnuson Moss Act is very clear on this. Lotus Cars USA will stand behind their product appropriately.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Rule 1 . Never tell dealer anything because they will deny anything. Toyota motoer isn't going to break anyway.
On the contrary, my salesperson wanted to install CAI's in all cars they had to "wake them up" and give them a sound more consistent with their fast looks. That dealer is full of ****.
If motor blows you've got an issue. For anything else, you're fine.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You can buy the Lotus Motorsports performance exhaust direct from the dealer, and many cars are sold with it....

I wouldn't put a Radium anywhere near that car, but the BOE will be fine. All that is stated above is true. Some dealers are different than others-on the West Coast my servicing dealer was a pain about aftermarket stuff. Here both the dealer has been totally supportive and Lotus Cars continues to impress me with their fairness with warranty items.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
239 Posts
Upgrades

As a service customer of that dealership, I realize that they have a very minimalist approach. They stock as few parts as possible. They will not order anything unless they have a guarantee that either Lotus or you will be paying for it. Remember, their primary business is Cadillac.

So, I say put on what you want and be prepared to take it off if you go in with some engine problem before they will even look at that. Definitely save the stock parts. Before you go in for service, talk to the service manager (Mike) and make it extremely clear what you are there for and ask them exactly what parts they will need and to let you know when they arrive. I live 100 miles away and waiting to make my 3rd trip there for the issues I reported the first time to get the correct parts.

You may also ask to talk to the mechanic directly as the communication from the service manager and the mechanic seems pretty sketchy when you arrive for service.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Don't start another Radium bashing thread please. Mine works quite well thank you and I'm pushing motor as hard as about anyone here.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Another thought: If you are chomping at the bit to modify, consider writing directly to Lotus USA, specifying your choices and asking for clarification on warranty. I know, you have now put Lotus on notice, but isn't that the point?....you want coverage if indicated, and they are the deciders, when an issue arises. Also, trying to keep Lotus "in the dark" but swapping parts pre-service, may or may not work. Remember, this is a public forum readable by "all".
Not proselytising, just commenting.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Don't start another Radium bashing thread please. Mine works quite well thank you and I'm pushing motor as hard as about anyone here.
Agreed. As long as the engine is stock in all other regards (no forced induction or ECU tune) ANY properly installed exhaust or intake should not cause a problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I'll just move down to your neck of the woods from NC. I'm really considering the Lakeland area. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I'm over in Pinehurst so our drive is about the same. I'll remember your post if it ever comes down to this. My first trip to Winton Salem though will be for the 1000 mile PM.
Seriously considering a move to FL if I can get the right price for my home, Maybe Lakeland area.

·
Registered
856 Posts
hats the deal with radium?
It was the first CAI for the Evora, the BOE was the second. Radium runs an open element with a heatshield whereas BOE runs an enclosed filter in a tube. Radium was built for the NA whereas BOE was built for both NA and S.

Radium leans out the afr which is very rich from the factory. This does two things. First it gives a good bump in both hp and mpg. Second it makes the intake not a good idea for cars that are anything but stock NA cars. FI or aftermarket ecu tunes are a bad idea in conjunction with the radium.

Radium is much louder than the BOE due to the open filter element which is either a positive or negative based upon personal preference.

Both are priced about the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts