8,335 Posts
That looks precarious!

Reactions: SwiftFF5 and Node

·
Registered
2006 Elise
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that does look "precarious". Maybe the thing is more robust in person, who knows. At least he can stand up doing his oil change, instead of being on his back like most of us. Lol.
As an aside, Porsche doesn't want owners to do much of anything at home. There's no dipstick in that car, and the steps you go through for a simple oil change are much more complex than they need to be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, that not only not look safe... but it also looks like it could be deadly... With these mid engined cars, more weight is biased towards the back. Look up the Corvette C8s falling off the lifts due to moron techs. Happened more than once! Get a real 4 post lift for $2500 [Edit... Holy Cow! ok, it's no longer $2500. Price hike appears to be $3800. Is this a COVID thing? I have the Garage Master 7000 GM7000]. Plus, you could store a car over and underneath it.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
68 Posts
As an aside, Porsche doesn't want owners to do much of anything at home. There's no dipstick in that car, and the steps you go through for a simple oil change are much more complex than they need to be.
As a former GT4 owner - going to have to disagree. Oil change was dropping a panel (with far less screws/bolts than an Evora), draining the oil, removing and reinstalling a new filter, refilling the oil and checking the level electronically. Sure there is no dipstick, but it's not like it's a massive pain to use the electronic level - plus you can check the level while driving if you need to. You also don't have to remove a wheel or play the role of an extreme contortionist to change the air filters. Oh, and let's not forget having to pull the engine to replace the clutch in the Evora vs a Cayman. Then for other work there are thankfully more than just 4 total jack/stand points and no playing musical jacks/stands.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Evora. Even in the 5 days I've had it I already like it better than the GT4. I'm also a completely Lotus newb - but at least from what I'm learning (and have done) on the Evora, my GT4's maintenance was much less complicated and I am really not looking forward to some of the work I'll need to be doing on the Evora.

I have had good luck using a MaxJax lift for both my Europa and Evora
This is on my wish list for things I want next year. Getting my old ass (70s or 80s) garage door lift/system replaced in a few months with a high lift system so there will be room for the MaxJax.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
What's the Mfg/Model?
If it's available for purchase, I'm sure it's been discussed on Garage Journal at some point.

I'd have no issued with that design if the base plates are of good thickness and the anchors were properly installed into the concrete.

·
Registered
2006 Elise
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a former GT4 owner - going to have to disagree. Oil change was dropping a panel (with far less screws/bolts than an Evora), draining the oil, removing and reinstalling a new filter, refilling the oil and checking the level electronically. Sure there is no dipstick, but it's not like it's a massive pain to use the electronic level - plus you can check the level while driving if you need to. You also don't have to remove a wheel or play the role of an extreme contortionist to change the air filters. Oh, and let's not forget having to pull the engine to replace the clutch in the Evora vs a Cayman. Then for other work there are thankfully more than just 4 total jack/stand points and no playing musical jacks/stands.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Evora. Even in the 5 days I've had it I already like it better than the GT4. I'm also a completely Lotus newb - but at least from what I'm learning (and have done) on the Evora, my GT4's maintenance was much less complicated and I am really not looking forward to some of the work I'll need to be doing on the Evora.
That's good to know. Thanks!
Why do you like the Evora more than the GT4?

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
68 Posts
That's good to know. Thanks!
Why do you like the Evora more than the GT4?
I just got a PM from someone asking about the GT4 ownership vs Evora. Why I switched and prefer the Evora comes down to 2 things mainly. 1) The Evora is much more friendly for weekend trips/getaways (not as harsh of a ride, less wind/road noise and more storage) and I will be using it for that and only tracking it a few times a year. 2) The entry price for it is also much lower (in the used market). But I also like the slightly more connected feeling with the Evora - more satisfying shifts, more feel for the road/turns, and IMO sounds better than the GT4.

If I was looking for a more track oriented vehicle I'd go with a GT4 - there is a lot more headroom for more power, and in stock form it's a little lighter and less cargo space.

Regardless, they're both amazing machines.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
1,007 Posts
The tall scissor jack thing in the OP looks fine as long as the lift point is far enough forward/aft that you've got the CG well over the lift table. On an Elige, that would probably mean a couple of biscuits (wood blocks, hockey pucks, whatever) on the back of the platform under jacking point C with the usual jacking aftermarket spacer blocks above. Not rocket science, and would make for much quicker lifting of the car and a smaller lift footprint than usual. Also looks like it doubles as an equipment and motorcycle lift, which would be handy.

I agree a two-post lift is ideal from a utility POV with a four-post drive-on being a close second because you can park something else under it. If you really just want small footprint for a maintenance lift, though, this small scissor lift might be just the thing if properly bolted to the floor. The two-post does require using lift point C in exactly the same way this scissor lift would, and is theoretically more CG sensitive because of the single point of support per side.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's a Twin Busch TW S3-19

73" rise
$4300
Looks like the dimensions will fit an Elise (Front Jackpoint width = 47", Rear Jackpoint width = 35", Front to Back Jackpoint Length = 42"), but not an Evora (Front Jackpoint width = 36", Rear Jackpoint width = 49", Front to Back Jackpoint Length = 69").

You would need to make sure you have pucks to allow you to get clearance between the car and the lift remove the bolts for the under panels.

I am not sure what would you need to get this much rise height for in a mid-lift though? It looks like there are a good number of people using the quick jack . . . and as for myself, I am using EZCarlift.

·
Registered
1985 Excel RHD
108 Posts
At $4300, and the fact that it needs to be bolted down, I don't see much point to this lift? For less money you can get a good quality two post lift that will allow you much better access to the car, or a 4 post that will be more stable and easier to use- and both of those options will leave you room underneath to park another car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts