The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see how much of a difference it makes... Any one local to the Seattle area have this installed?

- Jesse

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
it makes a huge difference. i installed mine a few years ago. i've driven about 50/50 street/track miles. the shifting has a much better feel with a shorter throw. i have had no problems with the LETSLA product.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Looking to see how much of a difference it makes... Any one local to the Seattle area have this installed?

- Jesse
I had the very first production unit on my car. Troy installed it for me. I know you're looking for a local car you can actually test drive to see how it feels. I can tell you that it DOES make a difference. It engineers out a lot of the 'slop' on the linkage on the trans., but does not address the mediocre shifter itself, beyond recommending the stiffening bolt.

I found the key to the LETSLA working as it should is the adjustments of the cables. That can be a bit tricky.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I'm not local but I'll tell you after spending another hour last week adjusting mine, I still wish I hadn't purchased it. Now I'd spend the money on new aftermarket cables instead.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
You can try mine sometime. I'm not a big fan of it. It's fun for casual driving because it feels "racey" on the short setting, but it takes away a lot of the feel and precision resulting in more frequent missed shifts. Someday I'll get motivated and reset it to the stock throw, where it will probably show a bit of improvement over stock.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was considering doing the RaceMounts4 from S111 first to try to clean up some of the slop. For those who have it, do you feel like it made enough of a difference to do both at once?

MotoGeek - Are you ever at at any of the local track events?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Stiffer engine mounts make more of a difference over the LETSLA. Anything other than the "default" settings on the linkage can cause binding and lead to failures to the link assembly or cables. I still have mine on because I got it to work OK, but I've seen a few failures. The major issue I've seen is the pivot bearing popping out because the aluminum bracket housing the bearing is too thin, causing the bracket to warp. They may have dealt with this issue on later models, but the early ones I've seen were prone to this issue.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Parts look great and feel great in your hands. Adjustability is nice.

I really did not realize it as a huge improvement though.

As said earlier, stiffer mounts helped. But these are track only for most folks. Lots of vibrations, buzzing. Sort of cool though.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I have had the letsla for almost a year now and I have to say I LOVED the improvement over the factory feel. It is very crisp/exact in feel.

I had it on the suggested short throw setting, and loved it. However I did have misshifts and so I took mine up one bolt hole pattern to see if I like it better. After driving on it for a month, I am going to take it back to the short shift setting, but I am going to let a little more cable out. I think that is the only reason for it being "off" for the mis shifts. Cable adjustments are the key to making it feel "Perfect."

I also have engine mounts (innovative front and rear) and love the way the car reacts with the changes. I personally did not see that much of an improvement with the shifter when I installed the motor mounts, but all in all I would give the letsla kit props for being a great design and comfort feel. The one thing I can definately encourage is putting a heavier shifting knob on the shifter. That was the LARGEST improvement I ever felt.

Also, you are more than welcome to drive mine when it is done.

·
Registered
667 Posts
FWIW, based on my reading of the various threads on the LETSLA it seems that most of the folks that say "huge improvement" have older models, most commonly '05 or '06 Elises. There are also some comments to the effect that Lotus improved the stock shifters, maybe MY '07+? I've never seen anything definitive on this. I really can't say myself, since the only Lotus I've ever driven is my own. But I can say that I think my '08 Exige shifts pretty well, certainly well enough that I'm not willing to risk creating a problem where none currently exists. YSMV.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have the Letsla as well as the heavier cable... just perfect...

Until this year, the car was with the letsla, it was very nice, a lot better than stock.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's the first thing I did after getting my '05 five years ago. I made my own stiffener for the shifter, which fixed a lot of the slop, added the engine mounts, then got the LETSLA, and installed in the positions it came set with. It is a well made piece, and I'v been happy with it, zero issues. I couldn't believe how crappy the stock '05 shifted, but now the car is much improved.

·
Stealthy Blackmobile
355 Posts
It's the first thing I did after getting my '05 five years ago. I made my own stiffener for the shifter, which fixed a lot of the slop, added the engine mounts, then got the LETSLA, and installed in the positions it came set with. It is a well made piece, and I'v been happy with it, zero issues. I couldn't believe how crappy the stock '05 shifted, but now the car is much improved.
I always feel that the stock shifter feels like its about to to dismember on its own and shatter in pieces due to its tinny noise lol, so what u saying is that the short shift kit, also took this away??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've done 80K miles on mine with ZERO issues. The cable adjustment was easy (only had to make an adjustment on the crossgate at the shifter side to properly affect the reverse lockout and 1-2 alignment. No binding, no cable failure, HUGE improvement over the factory vagueness and slop. Go for it.

I removed my Manley Mount inserts. As I use the car for more touring than track, I found the vibration and noise transference of the mounts absolutely intolerable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts