988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yep - lotsa threads on this.

For Android, people use Torque.

For iPhone, DashCommand

There's a chinese OBD wifi connector thingie on ebay we all use (forgot the name) - just search for it on the forum.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I saw that wifi adapter but some say its hit and miss. I figure Torque was the favored app, thx I have something to search on now. Lots of good hits on the Google search looks like the cheaper ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 will do. I read a lot about PID's being needed but not sure if that is necessary.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I use the torque app and this $20 bluetooth reader, works great.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396979853&sr=8-1&keywords=torque+pro[/ame]

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have also purchased 3 different cheapo 7-14$ bluetooth readers and they all worked.

I don't know how accurate the 0-60 reading is, as I was only able to get 6.3 at the lowest. (on street tires) but maybe thats accurate? I don't know

Haven't been to a real drag strip yet... or ever will

Overall I like to know how close I am to engine operating temperature and a few other tidbits are useful.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I use this $29 reader (Amazon) and the $4.95 Android app. Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
who here get close to correct 0-60 times? I know its no good for real data but 6.x is not right, I can counter better times that that :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice Video. That may have been me in front of you in the yellow Elise. You passed me. You are able to cature all that data and information from a WiFi OBD deal and a $9.99 iPhone app? That would be amazing . All I am looking for is to configure an oil pressure and water temp gauge. Will it do that? Seems like a easy heap way to add gauge/info on a couple of key measurements.

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
Nice Video. That may have been me in front of you in the yellow Elise. You passed me. You are able to cature all that data and information from a WiFi OBD deal and a $9.99 iPhone app? That would be amazing . All I am looking for is to configure an oil pressure and water temp gauge. Will it do that? Seems like a easy heap way to add gauge/info on a couple of key measurements.
Thats an android app btw... part of what you'll be able to do depends on your car. 2008+ have more info than earlier year cars.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Quick question , will the DashComand app with iPhone display gauges , interested in H20 temp and oil pressure ?
H2O temp yes. Oil pressure, no. The stock oil sender is just a simple on/off switch that triggers at some (ridiculously low, I think it's like 3psi) pressure, so the ECU doesn't know the actual oil pressure and can't tell you regardless of software.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2008+ have more info than earlier year cars.
ECU change or sensors added?

·
Registered
945 Posts
ECU change or sensors added?
ECU change. The ECU spits out more data over CANbus. I'm not sure if it sends anything more over standard means or if it's all on Lotus-specific IDs, though (I only know about the dash stuff - didn't pay attention to other stuff on the bus).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder then, do any flash upgrades improve data for the 07s? I have a flash for the SC that is installed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I wonder then, do any flash upgrades improve data for the 07s? I have a flash for the SC that is installed.
Don't think so.

There are 3 distinct base firmwares for the Elise/Exige ECU (and revisions in between, of course): '05 (original DBC ECU), '06-'07 (DBW ECU), '08+ (different CANbus data rate and info for new dashboard, other logic changes).

An '08+ firmware can run on an '06+ ECU and vice versa.

As far as I know all of the different factory and aftermarket tunes alter only data and conditionals in the tune, but don't graft sections of code or entire features from tune to tune. For example, I don't know of any tunes that add additional data in on their own - just tunes that are based off of the "black dash" firmware and thus get the '08+ CAN feed (but require a black dashboard for now).

It was my understanding that a few tuners have worked to graft "black dashboard" CAN support into the '06-'07 firmware and vice versa ("white dashboard" support into the '08+ firmware) but I don't think anyone has been successful in doing so. All of the "dashboard change" flashes I'm aware of simply give you the base flash from the year your dashboard belongs to.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The yellow Elise I passed is 'Pikachu' Elise.

I got the OBD data with generic ELM327 bluetooth reader on an android phone, but with external GPS.
Gauges were added using dashware.

And what everyone else said regarding CAN data on 08+ models.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
who here get close to correct 0-60 times? I know its no good for real data but 6.x is not right, I can counter better times that that :D

I have the Traqmate complete system. Accurate as can be and I can pull any data to analyze. Unfortunately it is a $1000.00 system. But information is amazing and being able to analyze G forces, braking, etc can cut lap times tremendously! I also use it as an accurate speedometer for daily driving!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use the amazon dongle with Torque on my android phone. Works great in all my cars. Even works with my bike. I also use the phone with Racechrono and a qstarz 10Hz GPS for lap timing at the track.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts