The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So seen an episode of a car show on that velocity channel "not an infomercial"

Race-gas.com looks like the oober octain booster we all know that the over the counter octain boosters have suck minimal results the that not worth it. Any one ever try this stuff or have and input? Theirs lots of independent lap resurrect supposedly supporting this stuff?

I don't race i just just want to bring my 91 fuel up to what lotus recommends without have to cart actual race fule around.

·
Registered
945 Posts
According to their own site, race-gas is an MMT additive. A lot of other gas additives are also MMT based and they all probably work similarly. It's definitely not a revolutionary new innovation if they use MMT, although that certainly doesn't mean it's a sham either.

You can learn more about MMT on Wikipedia here:

Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MMT was in Canadian and US pump gas as an octane booster for a long time after the banning of lead in gas. Many say it can lead to manganese deposits in your combustion chamber and on plugs, and can foul sensors and cats. There's also a lot of controversy about how dangerous it is environmentally, and it's been banned and unbanned several times.

Real race gas like Sunoco 260 GTX doesn't use metal additives like MMT or lead, so it'll probably beat this additive in terms of reliability and performance.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't have experience with octane boosters, but have been told by engine builders to never use them as most don't do what they say or as noted already leave deposits in the engine, O2 sensors, and catalyst.
VP Race Fuels makes pump gas substitutes with no alcohol in them, and the octane number is derived through the refining process and is guaranteed. race fuels, performance chemicals, race track gas station

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What octane is ideal? according to some charts with the stock lotus compression ratio ideal is 108 but i don't know enough to say weather that's correct or not.

the lotus manual say 93 or higher

·
Inactive
831 Posts
91 pump octane is plenty for a NA engine. There's many factors which determine knock, and compression is only one of them. Look at the prius - 13:1 compression and runs on 87 octane (ok, not a performance engine, and the the VVT decompresses down to about 8:1).

When I had a bad batch of fuel on one of my supercharged cars I put in a bottle of lucas oil brand booster, and it made a big difference. The knock count went from about 10 per second under load to 0.5 per second immediately after filling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts