The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoy the way the Lotus Elise drives and looks. The one thing that I don't like is the size. The seat is an uncomfortably tight fit for me and I do not have enough headroom. I could probably remove the sun visor to improve my field of vision, but aside from that I don't know of any options.

Is there any way to increase headroom or seat space, such as a modified seat? Perhaps a special addition with some kind of modification or a similar model with more space than the Elise?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I really enjoy the way the Lotus Elise drives and looks. The one thing that I don't like is the size. The seat is an uncomfortably tight fit for me and I do not have enough headroom. I could probably remove the sun visor to improve my field of vision, but aside from that I don't know of any options.

Is there any way to increase headroom or seat space, such as a modified seat? Perhaps a special addition with some kind of modification or a similar model with more space than the Elise?
This might work for you:

DOWNlow Seat Rails for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

I don't have a Lotus yet so haven't tried them myself, but others seem to have found them useful.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thanks. The modifications sound very promising for height. Are there any options to increase seat width?
Short of a seat transplant, no. And every seat I've seen that will fit, gives less width, not more. How big a man are you, Nolan? I'm 6'-3" and 225 pounds with a 33" inseam and 34" sleeve length and I have no trouble with leg room, headroom, or seat width. I have had to shift my wallet in certain slacks or shorts, but that's a clothing issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Short of a seat transplant, no. And every seat I've seen that will fit, gives less width, not more. How big a man are you, Nolan? I'm 6'-3" and 225 pounds with a 33" inseam and 34" sleeve length and I have no trouble with leg room, headroom, or seat width. I have had to shift my wallet in certain slacks or shorts, but that's a clothing issue.
I'm just over 6' and 220lb. I have a tall torso (perhaps the upper body of a 6'4" person) and a muscular body with a squatter's butt and big quads. Sitting in the seat is an uncomfortably tight squeeze for me and can pinch some body parts, if positioned in the wrong way. I test drove a 2005 Elise wearing thin shorts with empty pockets.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Downlows , I'm not so sure

Just bought and attempted to install them. Can't say I'm too thrilled at the outcome.
Yeah looks like I've gained some useful headroom ( I'm 6' 4") but the seat is now too far forward. I had no problem with giving up the ability to slide the seat forward ( after you set it once , it's rarely useful) but this is a deal breaker.

There are 3 adjustments holes to set the fore/aft position. I have used the furthest back. Oh well $225 and 2 hours later....
:(

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
NolanA,

There are options for big folks. Search for a couple of threads that I started about my "tall person's seat". There are a couple of others that I have seen also, but no readily available, easy to install, commercial alternatives.

I've done a lot of mods to fit (as have others), so you can search, search, search.

Most people pull the visors before even pulling out of the dealer's lot!

If you want to fit, you will.

If you're near Santa Barbara, you're welcome to sit in my car and see how it feels.

Good luck!

--Joe (6'5"; 220 lbs)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts

put a deposit in for an Evora !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts