The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my name is Luke.... S4NoRice

currently, i was driving an Audi S4... and i just sold it... at the same time, i am looking for an Elise... the dealer asked me $10k markup for a sooner delivery... but I really don't want to pay for this kinda unnessessory money...

What can i do? should i buy a spot?

I can't only afford the elise for under $53k.... and I need a car now (S4 was sold already)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ouch... you're going to be paying a premium in order to get a car now rather than wait in line.

If I were you, I'd buy a used Audi A4 (or any other vehicle that will hold it's value reasonably well and act as daily transportation.) Or if you don't mind inexpensive vehicles, find something that's reasonably reliable for under $2,000. Then, put yourself on a wait list somewhere and wait for the Elise to show up. When it does, sell your daily driver (or trade it in) and pick-up the Elise.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
[rant]first post on a board populated by people who have waited 2+ years is how to beat the system and get ahead of everybody here in line.

read about which dealers seem to be getting the iggest allocation. call and place a deposit. wait. if i knew hat fastest way to get a car now for a good rice i would damnsure nt be sitting on wait list. i am sure that is generally true.

buy a clue[/rant]

welcome aboard. you should find lots of interesting and useful info here. i think you sold the s4 waaaaaaaaaay too prematurely

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Out of curiousity, which dealer offered you a car soon for $10k markup?

If you want a good deal on an Elise soon, your best bet is to keep your eyes open for any new Lotus dealers opening up. As soon as you see that, get on their list asap. Or, get on board with one of the dealers that has a large allocation and just wait it out.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I believe that Lotus has reserved 10 cars for "really special people" that wake up one morning and decide that they would like to have an Elise right now, but don't feel like waiting for one or paying extra money. Just call 1-800-IMAMORON and ask for one and Santa Claus will deliver it to you, or if he's busy perhaps the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy can fill in.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Sooo...how old's your first child? :D ;)

I think your options are:

1) Post on all the Elise boards asking if anyone's willing to sell their spot or car before or immediately after deliver for $3-$5K.

2) Wait for people who decide the Elise is not for them and want to sell it for a price that's acceptable to you.

3) Call dealers to find how long their lists are and what their allocations are. I think you really need to talk to the right person at the dealership though.

4) Try to find out who the newest Lotus dealer will be. I THINK some folks who go to Glapin Lotus' list (in Los Angeles) may get their cars sooner.

Those are just some thought. No guarantees it will work.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
jml1952 said:
I believe that Lotus has reserved 10 cars for "really special people" that wake up one morning and decide that they would like to have an Elise right now, but don't feel like waiting for one or paying extra money. Just call 1-800-IMAMORON and ask for one and Santa Claus will deliver it to you, or if he's busy perhaps the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy can fill in.
That's harsh, but it made me giggle.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Lessee... Jumped in line by paying $10k over invoice.... Didn't like it.... added $20k.

actually git it was more like:

Paid a little over invoice and decided on another lessee with LSS...added 6K. Tax is a biotch ain't it?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I would think that there would be some people selling thiers due to a lack of practicality....something most of us do not feel is an issue. Who knows. If only Lotus would flood the market.....no wait that might be a bad thing!

Call Lotus USA and see if you can foin dout their pland for opening new dealerhsips. Otherwise do an internet search for deaerhsips that sell Bently, Ferrari and other exotics and see of they have any expansion plans. It might take you all day to call all the dealerhsip across the country that sell specialty cars, but considering that the wait could be 2 years, it might be well worth it.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
FYI-Rothrock indicated that in two months their demo would go on sale for a modest premium (2-3K). I don't know if that will wind up being true, but that's a reasonable way to go. It's just like mine-BRP, touring, black interior hardtop option too.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
In another thread, somebody offered to buy the "demo" at Silver Star in Thousand Oaks, CA; they wanted $10,000 over MSRP, which he claims that he was willing to pay, but then they raised the bar to $15,000 which he declined.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
jml1952 said:
I called the number and spoke to John English (apparently, it's his direct line). He told me that I was supposed to get one of the 10 reserved cars, but they took me off the "special people" list when they saw my rant this weekend. :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
dp,

I told you, it wouldn't get a single bid at that price

Base Price: $39,985.00
Destination Charge: $795.00
Paint Option: $1,200.00
Package Option: $1,350.00
Hard Top Option: $0.00
Shield: $995.00

Total Price: $44,325.00 plus tax etc

1300 miles for $59K with the reserve not met? it's just nuts :)

Keep the car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts