The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driveway is rather flat, but i don't have a cut curb at its entrance. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm just curious if the bottom edges of the front clam are going to scrape on it, even if i pull in at an extreme angle.

My car will have LSS, btw.

Randy - i saw a pic of yours with a scuffed edge - what did you hit yours on?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Mine was from the curb cut at the bottom of the driveway. I was backing out. Big mistake. Always go out/in nose first. See related thread in this forum.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Surferjer said:
Mine was from the curb cut at the bottom of the driveway. I was backing out. Big mistake. Always go out/in nose first. See related thread in this forum.
I don't see how backing in/out would change anything, when the rear goes over that would tilt the nose down and scrape the road, would it not?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i've found that this car is super easy to drive over any sort of bumps, dips or inclines. Our GT2 scrapes on absolutely everything. I have yet to scrape the Elise. The front overhang is so short that if you take even a modest angle you can clear pretty much anything.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
babak said:
I don't see how backing in/out would change anything, when the rear goes over that would tilt the nose down and scrape the road, would it not?
Don't ask me either, but mine scrapes going out of my driveway front first but does not scrape backing in. go figure!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My G35 is the same way.. I can hit the driveway ramp straight on and even with a little speed (head first) and not scrape.

Backing out of the same driveway (tail first) will scrape if I do it without angle, even slowly.

It obviously has something to do with suspension loading, but it still seems unintuitive.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I still can't wrap my mind around backin up a driveway vs. going in straight. Hmm....

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
babak said:
I still can't wrap my mind around backin up a driveway vs. going in straight. Hmm....
You would if you had two cars to go in the garage and the drivers door of both must open to the inside of the garage due to space constraints. One pulls in (daily driver) the Elise must be backed in.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I meant in the context of how it would make a difference on scraping the bottom of the front dam.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
when I took my test drive in the demo at my dealer as I was pulling into the driveway I heard this horrible scraping/cracking sound...broke the front license plate holder.:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
babak said:
I meant in the context of how it would make a difference on scraping the bottom of the front dam.
Maybe I'm taking a slightly different line of attack. I'll try slight variations and see if these make a difference. I really need the wing covers soon. I'm gradually shaving the drivers side wing bottom. I will call the dealer tomorrow to see if the wing guards are available yet. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Look-I leave my driving at least once per day. I also enter at least once per day. Nose first, no problem, ass first leaving, BIG problem. I have the damage to prove it, whether or not you understand it. It has to do with spring compression as the car drops onto the street (one inch drop).

If you don't believe my, come on over to my house and try YOUR ELise out on it. Make sue you have your touchup paint in hand.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Surferjer said:
Look-I leave my driving at least once per day. I also enter at least once per day. Nose first, no problem, ass first leaving, BIG problem. I have the damage to prove it, whether or not you understand it. It has to do with spring compression as the car drops onto the street (one inch drop).

If you don't believe my, come on over to my house and try YOUR ELise out on it. Make sue you have your touchup paint in hand.
I have the opposite problem. Don't know the scientific explaination..... only the driving experience. When approaching at a (literal) crawl, how can spring compression enter into the problem. At a (literal) crawl, I doubt the existence of spring compression. Note: I'm not challenging your premise......just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Keep in mind, suspensions are setup to compress in certain directions and at certains speeds along that direction.

One can not say that the suspension is equal in all forms.

Perhaps if the wheel was on a spring shaft that was vertically perpendicular to the horizon.. then I would assume that if you hit in the front, then you would hit in the back. As your loading would always be the same...

*hmmmm*

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Would this be alleviated by using a plank? Heck, if this is what I have to deal with, I'd just get a slab of plywood and leave it there.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
A given slope, its rate of angle change, it's rate of level-off and your speed all can play a part in whether or not you car will clear. I have a steep decline into a garage and it will scrape if i go nose first but it will clear if i back it in. There is no fast rule for what is best as no 2 driveways are the same. You just have to be careful until you find out which works best for your setup.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Probably some of this has to do with the angle of the driveway and the distance of the fall to the street. My drveway is steep, but no overwhelmingly so. But the drop is more brutal. The damage is really brutal :(

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stan said:
Geez for your own driveway...maybe change the lip or angle somehow? Add/change/remove material?
That's the plan, Stan. Concrete guy should be out here before winter sets in. i can't WAIT to get rid of that nasty curb. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts