The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I am considering an update to the CharlieX tune from my PES flash. I don't have much of a problem with the car, but I was curious what people have experienced that have done this.

I would be interested in any dynos, opinions, etc, for a relatively stock BWR reflash from PES->CharlieX, though you folks that have heavily modified your engines during the update, or went with VF stage II need not comment, might skew the info.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Also interested in thoughts...

Hey all

I am considering an update to the CharlieX tune from my PES flash. I don't have much of a problem with the car, but I was curious what people have experienced that have done this.

I would be interested in any dynos, opinions, etc, for a relatively stock BWR reflash from PES->CharlieX, though you folks that have heavily modified your engines during the update, or went with VF stage II need not comment, might skew the info.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
For what it's worth, when some local cars were on the dyno, the operator said the cars with the CharlieX tunes had more reliable a/f ratios, and thus were "safer".

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Scotty with all due respect, you have a Katana to begin with :p And dma's PES tune isn't one of the problematic ones AFAIK.

I'm also interested in this transition. My PES flash has been very solid and I couldn't ask for more thus far, but I'd like to see if Charlie's tune can be even better.
I am talking from experience of seeing the dynos, and the tunes. Has nothing to do with if I have a katana or not.

Just look at the fuel ratios, dynos, etc. Then look at the experience of Charlie’s Tuning and products versus all the others on the market.

Also I think it's time for another of our shoot out Dyno sessions to see who has retained their tunes. How about arranging that?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
My car has been staling at low RPMs while driving (when car is around 3k RPM, ie 6th gear on the highway) and runs rough during cold start up w/PES. I'm wondering if I have a vacuum leak somewhere. anyone else have this w/ PES?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My car has been staling at low RPMs while driving (when car is around 3k RPM, ie 6th gear on the highway) and runs rough during cold start up w/PES. I'm wondering if I have a vacuum leak somewhere. anyone else have this w/ PES?
Don't have any of your symptoms with my PES tune.

Cold start up and idle is way better than OEM. I spent a of time on Sunday in 6th at low RPMs and nothing wrong. Stalling at that point would scare me! -eek-

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I am talking from experience of seeing the dynos, and the tunes. Has nothing to do with if I have a katana or not.

Just look at the fuel ratios, dynos, etc. Then look at the experience of Charlie’s Tuning and products versus all the others on the market.

Also I think it's time for another of our shoot out Dyno sessions to see who has retained their tunes. How about arranging that?
:up: As soon as I replace some sticking valves. I should have my car this week.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, mine appears fine, but if there's something better, I want it!

A dyno shootout / real life butt Dyno compario would be perfect. Again, not knocking PES, my tune was handled professionally, quickly, and it worked without a code or a blip. I'm a software developer, there's always room for improvement on code, so if there's something better, bring it on.

One thing I do notice is that the cam switchover just makes noise, a "brap" when it comes on, but no pushin'.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have a PES tune with the BWR supercharger and I've put 25,000 kms on the car now beating the piss out of it in AutoX and lots of curvy roads and it still runs great. There were a few issues with the first tunes for the Katana and BWR kits, but they have been sorted for some time now. In the grand scheme of things a couple of HP here and there with either of the basic kits isn't that big of a deal if you know how to drive your car. I would suggest that if your not having any major issues with the current tune then that $ would be better spend upgrading suspension components etc for the time being until you get the car built to handle the power of one of these 280hp kits...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
The 2005 Katana tune has never been changed since its inception, the 2006 had two revisions (an intro one, then the final one which incorporated bug fixes from lotus)

My tune is all FI based with a greater MAF range and injector scaling, the PES is just an NA tune with just modified fuel maps and cam switch point, it has none of the bug fixes from lotus for either 05 or 06

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The 2005 Katana tune has never been changed since its inception, the 2006 had two revisions (an intro one, then the final one which incorporated bug fixes from lotus)

My tune is all FI based with a greater MAF range and injector scaling, the PES is just an NA tune with just modified fuel maps and cam switch point, it has none of the bug fixes from lotus for either 05 or 06
And there you have it. :up:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have the BWR SC with the PES tune on a otherwise stock engine- My car runs and idles better than it did with the stock tune- It's been tracked a couple of times with no issues, and it's clearly quicker-

However, the thread started earlier this week showing lower than anticipated dyno results has me concerned- I've been thinking about getting my car dyno'ed anyway- I'll run by the local dyno today to make some arrangements-

·
Vendor
3,335 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I could post a dyno and tell you they are different. They are. I think what is most important is go find a dyno and put your car on it and see what you get. If the readings look good then leave it alone and enjoy. If they look off, and you will know, call Charlie and get it sorted.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I need to hook up my computer to the ZX-2 and see whats going on w/ my AFR. I'll look into what I need to do that on their website. I really want to see what my stalling problem is all about, not to mention make sure everything is normal.

I don't know much about AFR's and reading them, but maybe if I can get the readouts on my computer and post them someone more experienced can tell me what I'm looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Finished my BWR s/c install yesterday with a Charliex tune and it started right up and idled better than ever. The power delivery is also super smooth as well as addicting. Thank you very much BWR and Charlie the addition is everything I thought it would be and more. By the way I installed the new BWR version with a similar if not the same alternator bracket as the katana. Clam on affair 8 hrs total no problems! Again +1 for Charlie

1 - 20 of 56 Posts