The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how much nicer the carpeting is in the interior. I do not plan on having the top on the car ever so the noise dampening would seem irrelevant. I sure don't want power windows either but nice carpet would be a plus...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Does the difference in seats have an impact on your decision? MP3 upgraded radio? Cargo net?

The carpet difference to me is so minor, that I can't imagine buying Touring for it. Heck, it's velcroed in... you can probably add it later if you only wanted more carpet.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
heatmiser said:
Was wondering how much nicer the carpeting is in the interior. I do not plan on having the top on the car ever so the noise dampening would seem irrelevant. I sure don't want power windows either but nice carpet would be a plus...
the only difference you'll see is the carpeting up the side rails. all cars get the carpet floor mats.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
If I remember, it's also under the seats if that make a difference to you, but it's not really noticeable unless you make an effort to look.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think the sound dampening is worth it if I plan on having the top off all the time (San Diego - 3rd car)? My only thought would be because the engine is right behind the driver. Maybe there is an aftermarket dampening I can do just for that as well as the carpet on the sides. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
heatmiser said:
Do you think the sound dampening is worth it if I plan on having the top off all the time (San Diego - 3rd car)? My only thought would be because the engine is right behind the driver. Maybe there is an aftermarket dampening I can do just for that as well as the carpet on the sides. What are your thoughts?
hard to say & even harder to say when only 1% of us have driven it.

I've owned very loud cars before & let me tell you, noise = fatigue over long periods of time. At the same time, I don't like a car that's too quiet. You also get the better stereo, a cargo net, a better insulated soft top, and power windows with the touring pack. Worth it? Maybe I'll know in a week or so when the demo cars come in. ;)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I waffled a bit and opted for the Touring pack, not for the carpet, but for the sound insulation, lectric windows, and MP3 player.

Some of the best roads are a bit of a highway drive to get to, and with a passenger, it would be nice to have less road drone. I too am doubtful that there would be less noise with the top off (collecting dust in the garage), but there might be less raspy buzzing or vibration with the bonus dampning material.

The extra side-sill carpet does nothing for me.

The electric windows sounded good ("I can reach both sides"), until I saw how close the passenger door is ("I can reach both sides!"), now I'm not so sure. I hear they're a frequent point of failure. The window will be down most of the time anyway.

The MP3 player is worth a couple hundred, just so I don't have to mess with the factory install. I'm not looking for luxury audio here, but it's nice to have some tunes on the highway.

But if the dealer called and said, "Your car is here, but without the Touring pack, I wouldn't wince."

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
A major reason for me to get Touring Pack was how awful I thought the base seats were in the LA show cars. The new cloth seats look great though, so that reason for me is now gone.

I would like the insulated top. My reasoning is this. When it's nice out, I won't use the top, so I don't care if it is insulated. When it's very hot or cold, I will welcome a little bit extra insulation.

Sound I do not care about nor do I think a non-touring car will be too loud for most people when at freeway cruising speeds.

The MP3 ability of the stereo was something that was a draw for me. As was the cargo net. But I could live without them or add them later.

Carpets.. I don't care. I might even lean towards wanting to remove them.

Electric windows, as long as they work and did not add significant weight were a plus for me. It would be more a plus if the switches were on the driver side or center console. I lived with my MR2 with manual winders and it was fine since the cockpit was not very wide... but still a small pain to lean over and wind them up or down, and I had to undo my seatbelt to do it. Not sure if the Elise will be better. It should be a little closer.

Still, no biggie about the windows.

I guess all in all, if asked now by my dealer, I would cancel the Touring Pack. And I would use the money for Chrome Orange. :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The MP3 ability of the stereo was something that was a draw for me.
IIRC, one of the recent reviews of the Elise said the car was so loud at speed that the radio was only useful for when you were parked in your driveway, washing the car. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
My motivation for the touring pack:

Seats, leather + color options
<some distance>
Better top (I suspect)
<more distance>
Windows (laziness)

I can't give much weight to the carpet or the radio (you certainly don't buy an elise for the radio -- i remember reading that the elise is among the worst for sound...maybe the us version will be better?).

·
Registered
91 Posts
My motivation for not getting the touring pack:

1. window accurattors went out on my Elan 3 times, and that was extremely expensive to fix each time. So, yay, no electric windows.

2. Oh, wait, I like the other stuff;)

Still that was enough for me, I can get the other stuff on my own. It looks like the full carpet kit is for sale in the UK. I wouldn't mind getting that seperately and installing it myself.

Barry

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I opted for the pack because I wanted red interior. That's it.

The fact that it has the MP3 player was an added bonus.

The other stuff... well.. ok. It doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I did NOT get the Touring pack, because:
  • I don't want the extra carpeting (bare aluminum for me).
  • I have no need for an MP3 player (I usually listen to the local radio stations).
  • I wanted the black interior anyway (Chrome Orange exterior).
  • I would rather have cloth seats.
  • I plan on having the top off whenever possible, so I don't need an insulated top.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
BarryB said:
My motivation for not getting the touring pack:

I can get the other stuff on my own.

Barry
You can't get the sound deadening on your own... Unless you're willing to tear the whole car apart to install it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I didn't get it because of the extra weight and I just don't want the stuff that comes with it. Especially the electric windows, they're just something else to break.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Derek said:
You can't get the sound deadening on your own... Unless you're willing to tear the whole car apart to install it.

But does anyone know what is installed? Does Lotus spray foam inside the aluminum tube structure or just stick some Dynamat between the engine and the frame?

I think it matters what exactly is "sound deadening." A very loose interpretation may mean additional carpeting.

·
Registered
758 Posts
TimMullen said:
I did NOT get the Touring pack, because:
  • I don't want the extra carpeting (bare aluminum for me).
  • I have no need for an MP3 player (I usually listen to the local radio stations).
  • I wanted the black interior anyway (Chrome Orange exterior).
  • I would rather have cloth seats.
  • I plan on having the top off whenever possible, so I don't need an insulated top.

Tim Mullen
Those are the same reasons for me. I also prefer the look of the hand cranks over the buttons. They seem to fit the car better.

But I do like the little net behind the seat =)

I think my car may end up being Chrome Orange, with hard top, and nought else.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
agent.5 said:
But does anyone know what is installed? Does Lotus spray foam inside the aluminum tube structure or just stick some Dynamat between the engine and the frame?

I think it matters what exactly is "sound deadening." A very loose interpretation may mean additional carpeting.
I seem to recall reading that the sound deadening is sprayed inside the chassis.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts