3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Star Spec needs a plug?

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
love them, these have 7k on them - figure 10-15k per set of rears. They markedly improve ride comfort because of the tall sidewall, raise the car by 1/2" +/-. Great tire. Highly recommended for street or track. Thanks for the response.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
A plug is to get around until your new tire arrives. I would never trust one on a performance car.

San

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any tire shop would have no problem repairing this as the puncture is no where near the sidewall. It needs to be at least a minimum of 1 inch from the edge of the tread. But of course there're shops that would like to sell you two new tires. My 2 cents, rustyb

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
Patch is much safer than a plug. New tire is much safer than a patch.

After saying that, I have used many plugs and patches in my day and never had any issues.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I put Michelin pilot super sports on my daily driver (prior to that I had the star specs which I hated)..... The first day the tires were on my car I hit a screw in a similar position.

Been approx 14k miles and zero issues.....

That being said.... What is the difference between a plug and a patch?

·
Registered
405 Posts
^ A patch goes on the inside of the tire, and covers a wider area across the hole. A plug just gets pushed in from the outside.

If it were me, I'd plug it and call it a day. I have been well over 150MPH on tires with plugs in them on cars and bikes and never had an issue. As long as it is in an easy location like that, just plug it and drive it until the tires wear out. If it were a track car that might be another matter, but for the street no worries at all in my book.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Back in my poor high school days I probably had a plug or two in most of my tires. Donuts, powerbrake smoke shows, off road rallies..... I never had a single one fail.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Michelin and Pirelli had some statements that if you used a "plug patch" that was installed inside the tire like a patch, and had a mushroom plug that was placed in the hole, then their tires could even retain their Z speed rating as long as it met these criteria.

If your tire becomes damaged, it may be repaired if it meets the following criteria:

The tire has not been driven on when flat
The damage is only on the tread section of your tire (sidewall damage ruins a tire immediately) and/or
The puncture is no greater than ¼"

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got it plugged for $10 at my local shop! Next year, new tires on all 4 wheels.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
got it plugged for $10 at my local shop! Next year, new tires on all 4 wheels.
Your tires will last longer if you stop off-roading. What's up with your rear clam?

San

1 - 13 of 13 Posts