The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has recently placed a deposit on an Elise and what they were told? How long before you might get one, how many people are on the list, etc.? Does anyone know of any dealerships that have unclaimed allocations? Thanks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
i just placed mine few days ago and got #48

try Desert European Motorcars in Rancho Mirage...ask for Pat Marsh...he feels I will get car by early summer of 05'...they do require 2500.00 deposit though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Two weeks ago when I put down $1000 I was told in writing I was #53...San Antonio. They also told me that had it in writing from Lotus they'd be getting 8 cars/month.

We'll see what really happens.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I have to call Lotus of Newport Beach. That figure can't be right but if it is that's a good sign for me. Only 5 deposits. Symbolic of La Jolla could be good too. 69 deposits and last they told me was they were getting about 50 cars. So sometime next year most likely. :( Here's to hoping some people drop off the list which I expect will happen for a few.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If someone from Symbolic La Jolla tells you they have only 69 MSRP deposits, I'm yanking mine from them. I booked mine in Jan '04 and it is higher than that. In fact, the party line from Nick is that they don't really assign actual numbers.

They also reserve the right to sell cars at "market value", so a number doesn't mean much anyway. My gut feeling is that you'll get your call when they have one on the floor that they can't move for a healthy markup.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ground Loop, that kind of makes me want to avoid going through them at all. I got a different story from them but then again that was awhile back. Stupid me couldn't make up my mind and held off on placing a deposit. This is back when they had the Euro test car which I test drove. At that time they told me MSRP, and actual spot #. But demand is high so a markup wouldn't be a surprise. I for one will be glad to get it next year if it means avoiding a markup. I've paid a markup twice and have decided it's never worth it.
Especially when one of em was a lemon.

Wow, I'm actually very amazed at the demand for the Elise. Considering the car's primary function and price tag I would've thought it to be less popular. I guess one good thing about being late is that I get to find out the kinks from you guys :p and see all of the colors I like in person first. Can't decide between 4 colors.

Bordeaux Red, Storm Titanium, Purple, or Graphite Grey.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
amcmahon said:
Wow, I'm actually very amazed at the demand for the Elise. Considering the car's primary function and price tag I would've thought it to be less popular. I guess one good thing about being late is that I get to find out the kinks from you guys :p and see all of the colors I like in person first. Can't decide between 4 colors.

Bordeaux Red, Storm Titanium, Purple, or Graphite Grey.
Don't be, the first 2 years will be filled with hardcore enthusiast. The real test for Lotus will be after all the enthusiast have their cars. Developing and capturing new recruits will be the true test and challenge of the cars overall success.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by mact3333
i just placed mine few days ago and got #48
damn, desert euro is up to #48 now? Are you the latest person to put down a deposit there? I'm 28, so in less than two months Pat & Austin have secured 20 more deposits?

early summer '05 sounds about right

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Has anyone talked to Symbolic lately to find out what they want for their first 10 cars? "Market price" last time I asked was +$10k, or +$5k to get one "soon". Ouch.

48 sounds about right for Desert Euro, since they're being upfront about the $2.5k markup. I go back and forth between waiting X Months and paying the markup.. If MSRP spots come up in 9 months (between dropouts, multiple deposits, and fickle buyers), then it would have been $275/month premium to have it early. Hm.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
As far as I know, I get one of the very first cars from Symbolic and it's at MSRP.

The only thing I have heard from Symbolic was:

1. We reserve the right to sell to someone that was a previous owner or a real Lotus nut. Sure, that gives them an out to sell whatever they want, but I have no reason to not believe that is the intent.

2. They will push you way down the list if they think you are trying to flip the car. I did not ask about selling spots.

I have no problem with those two things.

I would be very surprised if the list at Symbolic La Jolla was only 69.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does someone have the number to Desert European motors. It's not on the dealers list on Lotuscars.com.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Randy. I called Desert European and they're still taking deposits. Although not for much longer. So far every dealer I've called has a $2500 markup cost. I was told if I placed the deposit today I'd be getting my car probably early next year and December of this year at the earliest. Unfortunately I need to finalize my loan before I can commit any money to a deposit. Which will hopefully be soon. Newport Beach is also filled up and not taking deposits. They expect around 35 cars this year so I'm assuming they have 35 deposits and he didn't say how many on the waiting list. Also $2500 markup. If I find any other places still taking deposits I'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
amcmahon said:
Thanks Randy. I called Desert European and they're still taking deposits. Although not for much longer. So far every dealer I've called has a $2500 markup cost.
is that a $2500 markup or a $2500 deposit?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I put down my deposit at Ferrari of Denver about 6 weeks ago, and have #64. They have been very hesitant to estimate an arrival date, but initially said 18 months. I heard from someone that they expect 4-5 each month, which would mean that I'd get mine sometime toward the end of summer next year.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
BrianK said:
is that a $2500 markup or a $2500 deposit?
Both. $2500 deposit which goes to the markup cost. So you pay full price when the car arrives. I assume this is why they're the only one's still taking deposits. Every other dealer asks $1500 deposit.

·
Registered
970 Posts
amcmahon said:
Both. $2500 deposit which goes to the markup cost. So you pay full price when the car arrives. I assume this is why they're the only one's still taking deposits. Every other dealer asks $1500 deposit.
Man, I hope you are dead wrong about what you said cause I will be livid if that is true. That is totally unethical cause he never said it was a markup price but rather a deposit!. And deposits do not imply markup. I would never pay markup.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
mact, I'd call and check.

The $2500 Markup (and $2500 deposit) have been in effect at least since January, and they were never subtle about it. It says so right on my order/deposit agreement.

What paperwork did you get? When did you place your deposit? Maybe they are maintaining two lists, MSRP & Market, like Symbolic is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts