The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this same thread on lotuscarsforum.com, so sorry if this seems repetitive, but I like this forum better personally... ;)

I wanted to put a deposit down on an Elise, but was checking to see if any of the SoCal dealers are guarantying MSRP upon leaving a deposit?

I just called Thousand Oaks Lotus and looks like they will not guarantee MSRP which makes me think that they will gouge us on the final pricing...

Anyone here placed a deposit with Thousand Oaks Lotus?!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Symbolic Motorcars guaranteed MSRP - I've got it in writing on my deposit form, early this year.:cool:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Rotus said:
... but I like this forum better personally... ;) ...
Just wanted to quote the important part.

:)

Welcome to the forum. Are you going to the LA AutoShow?

P.S. I like Symbolic. Good people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HaHa, thanks Randy! Great forum you got here!!
Yup, I always go to the LA Auto show every year, it's like an anual pilgrimage for me!:D

I recently sold my beloved Honda S2000, and I can't think of a better replacement than the Elise!

SteveW, do you happen to remember the salesperson you dealt with at SilverStar Lotus in T.O.?!

·
Registered
55 Posts
So today I have good news and I have bad news.

All this talk about guaranteed MSRP made me nervous. When I placed my deposit I assumed that I would get the car at MSRP, but didn't ask. So I called the dealer this morning and asked the sales manager. He wouldn't do it. He told me "when you see the price of the car, if you don't want it, you don't have to buy it, you'll get your deposit back." :p

So I had to cancel my deposit and ask for a refund.

I called Symbolic and told them the deal. They guaranteed MSRP so I placed my deposit there. But now instead of 20th on a list I'm now in the 60's. :(

I'm really bummed, but at least I know I'm not going to get raked over the coals on the price when I finally do get one. Somebody hold me. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey MacMan, sorry that you had to give up your earlier position in order to get guaranteed MSRP at Symbolic.

I also hate the notion that some of the dealers are out to make a quick buck by "stuffing" us with ridiculous dealer markups!

MacMan, you don't have to answer this, but if you don't mind telling me which dealership you canceled your deposit from that wouldn't guarantee MSRP??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sent you a PM.

Yeah, sucks... don't know what else I can do tho.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
You don't have to answer, but I'm guessing Silver Star in Thousand Oaks. I talked to them and they would not guarantee MSRP and others have had the same experience.

All is not lost. Symbolic has two dealerships (Beverly Hills and La Jolla), but supposedly a single merged list at this point. So, they should be getting twice as many cars per month. So, if Thousand Oaks gets 4-6 cars per month (as they told me they expect, but that's just their guess), then Symbolic probably would get 8-12 cars to month. So 20 on the TO list might be equivalent to 40 on the Symbolic list.

Total speculation on my part, but Symbolic also might have more pull and get more than their fair share of cars (this may just be wishful thinking on my part, since I'm in the top 20 and would like to get my car in month 1, not 2 or 3 or whenever).

Hang in there. None of us are enjoying the wait. Buy one of the 1:18 models and stare at it constantly. A friend bought me a black European version in Mexico a few months ago, which sits on my desk at work (right hand drive, exposed roll bar in back). And Randy's enthusiasm led me to buy a yellow one, which has yet to arrive, but appears to look more like the US version (and it's the right color).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey MacMan, got your PM, thanks for the info!
Well, at least at Symbolic you won't get reamed on the price.

jml952, I know what you mean because I can't seem to put down the latest issue of R&T with the Elise on the cover! The Elise pages are all sticky...(mind you it's from salivation!:D )

Man, I really wish I would've placed my deposit down earlier. But back when I saw the Elise at the LA Auto show, I still had my Honda S2000 and wasn't really looking for another roadster.
But I recently sold my beloved S2000 and I've been itching for another sports car. I can't think of a better replacement than the mighty ELISE!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sure is a purdy S2000 you had there. Nice color. ;)

I'll share one of mine too. :D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The sales person at Silver Star I dealt with is Judy Little. She's very nice, if a little behind on the most up to date info. She also offered me MSRP guarentee when it didn't occur to me to ask.

Steve

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Judy is the one I talked to at TO Silver Star, also. She did sound nice - she's not computer savvy, though - wouldn't take my e-mail address, prefers to make phone calls. My deposit is with Symbolic, but I wanted to make contact with TO for servicing and just to have another source of info.

Rotus - I was very interested in the Honda S2000, but the Elise drove all thoughts of it out of my mind.

MacMan - Beautiful 'vette. Love that color - hoping that Saffron Yellow will be something like that. Just curious, but if you have that car, why do you want an Elise?

·
Registered
55 Posts
lol, I'll take that question as a compliment.

Besides the Elise being one of the most beautiful cars ever made, it's like comparing apples to oranges. The vette is full of creature comforts, cushy seats, cruise, climate control, blah blah. It's so comfortable that it's almost boring. I've spiced it up a bit so that I'm happy with it, but I still have a need for something different.

The Elise is a raw, uncomprimizing, pure sports car. I really like that about it. When I go for a "drive" on the weekend, I want to get the race car out of the garage, not the cadillac, if you know what I mean. It's just not the same. I want to drive the rough, tough, single purpose machine.

I'm really hoping that the leather seats are just an Option. Screw leather, give me functional cloth in my functional race car. Ditch the radio too and while I'm at it they can ditch the AC as well.

Odd as it sounds, I love the Elise for the same reason that I love the Viper GTS's... only I can actually afford an Elise.

AND... the Elise is going to be my AutoCrossing missile (it'll be driven to the event, not trailered BTW). If you've never been to a SCCA autocross or track day, do yourself a favor, spend $35 and go. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow. So get this, the dealership that refused to give me MSRP (see above) called and left a message on my phone last night saying that he had my deposit check ready (I cancelled my order) and to give him a call. So I call him this morning and he says "I've got your check here. I don't know what the problem is... don't know why you had to go to La Jolla. Those guys have more than 100 deposits. And when I sold the car to you, it would have been at MSRP."

WTF?!?! So I said "What? That's not what you told me" to which he replied "that's the way it's been all along, I don't know what you're talking about."

Unbelievable. I honestly think the guy has some mental issues. I promptly drove there and got my check back. Wow, I'm soooo glad not to have anything to do with that guy now. I can't even begin to comprehend what is going on in his mind. :O

1 - 16 of 16 Posts