The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at a nice yellow elise. It is an 05, there is a little curb rash on the front bumper but not very noticeable. It has 12k miles on it and the asking price is 29,900. I plan to drive out soon and test drive it and thoroughly check it out, any tips for making sure this is a good buy? And any other Important things to double check out on the car that anyone could list? Thanks for any input, it would be very well appreciated!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Most Elises that are actually driven will have the front scrape on the bottom. Just an FYI.

I'd make sure you get a recent download of the ECU data and look for things like too many standing starts and/or high revs. There shouldn't be any above 8750 or so. If someone zinged the motor, there is probably a high rev above 9K. Since you're are loking at '05s, you probably don't have a warranty anyway, but these things can indicate general abuse.

Check to see if the shifter has been replaced if it's an early 05 model. Also, check the downshift from 2nd to 1st---there were a lot of syncro issues.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agree with the posts above. If you have never driven an Elise before, don't test drive it until you are ready to buy it. If you are like me, the moment I took mine on the test drive it was over, the decision was made. ECU dump is critical.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Step One: Locate Elise you want to buy
Step Two: Hand the buyer a big pile of cash
Step Three: Permagrin.

If I would of done this in outline mode, Permagrin could have subcategory- discover second cams. Perform first modifications. Mountain drives, track days, etc. You will notice "win argument on Lotus Talk" not on the list. rotfl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.