The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering rack needs to be replaced so I'm thinking about taking this opportunity to swap in the Titan QR rack.

Can anyone who has this rack tell me their opinion of it?

Is it supposed to be stronger than the OEM unit?

The Sector111 site says that it is a bolt on piece with no mods necessary. I assume this is true.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Catsailr27, still looking a replacement? I mentioned to your on your wanted post about Titan. Liked mine very much, ordered the 2.4 turns, lock to lock instead of the stock 2.7. Better in every way, should have come that way from the factory. You will notice about 20% more resistance on very slow turns in parking lots, or should I say parallel parking. (which I never did). Good luck.

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
Catsailr27, still looking a replacement? I mentioned to your on your wanted post about Titan. Liked mine very much, ordered the 2.4 turns, lock to lock instead of the stock 2.7. Better in every way, should have come that way from the factory. You will notice about 20% more resistance on very slow turns in parking lots, or should I say parallel parking. (which I never did). Good luck.
No I wasn't looking but it looks like philethier might have been. He had replied to a member who hadn't been on in a while and I just wanted to let him know in case he was looking for review. Thank you he now has your review.

Reactions: rustyb

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,148 Posts
I had a Titan QR on my Elise and transferred the same unit to my Exige. It was tight and precise up to now. I speculate the rack has around 65,000 miles on it between my Elise and Exige. Within the last 1500 miles it has developed very noticeable slop or play as some say. The steering wheel turns but the tires don’t turn in unison or simultaneously as they should. In other words there is a slight delay between when the steering wheel turns and the tires decide to turn. I checked the steering linkage for play on the CV joints of which there was none. It is very noticeable at parking lot speeds where more effort is requited however once underway the sensation of play isn’t felt at all really. The steering at speed is precise enough when turning but driving straight on a highway/freeway there is very noticeable slop which is exacerbated as speeds increase due to front end lift. The Elise in stock trim experiences more than the Exige.
In sum, I am not at the point where it hasn’t gotten bad enough to justify replacement especially now that the weather is warming. Having owned many ‘ordinary’ cars that have developed play as the rack ages leads me to believe it is desirable to replace but not necessary. To my knowledge there is no safety risk in a loose rack. Some manufactures even intentionally incorporate play in the rack when it is dead on center so it is easier to stay in your lane on straight highways. I know BMW did this long ago.
- My question is can the Titan QR be serviced and how many miles should it continue performing like new?
-Side note is the rubber boots break easily which I do not believe ever having this problem on any other car I have owned.
-Robert

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
I had a Titan QR on my Elise and transferred the same unit to my Exige. It was tight and precise up to now. I speculate the rack has around 65,000 miles on it between my Elise and Exige. Within the last 1500 miles it has developed very noticeable slop or play as some say. The steering wheel turns but the tires don’t turn in unison or simultaneously as they should. In other words there is a slight delay between when the steering wheel turns and the tires decide to turn. I checked the steering linkage for play on the CV joints of which there was none. It is very noticeable at parking lot speeds where more effort is requited however once underway the sensation of play isn’t felt at all really. The steering at speed is precise enough when turning but driving straight on a highway/freeway there is very noticeable slop which is exacerbated as speeds increase due to front end lift. The Elise in stock trim experiences more than the Exige.
In sum, I am not at the point where it hasn’t gotten bad enough to justify replacement especially now that the weather is warming. Having owned many ‘ordinary’ cars that have developed play as the rack ages leads me to believe it is desirable to replace but not necessary. To my knowledge there is no safety risk in a loose rack. Some manufactures even intentionally incorporate play in the rack when it is dead on center so it is easier to stay in your lane on straight highways. I know BMW did this long ago.
- My question is can the Titan QR be serviced and how many miles should it continue performing like new?
-Side note is the rubber boots break easily which I do not believe ever having this problem on any other car I have owned.
-Robert
I would check with EliseParts. They seem to be the only ones with the QR. The standard I've seen rebuild kits but not the QR.

Reactions: sleepe

·
Less is Better
3,223 Posts
There are a few vendors who carry Titan racks including Titan themselves but there appear to be availability issues. Probably the best place to get parts is through Titan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts