The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the guy I spoke to told me that some new or nearly new cars have big trouble which can take a long time to fix. like six months to get a wiring harness if bad electrics (maybe like the red NA on a SE lotus site asking 46).
which was the justification for his wanting many thousands more than what some cars on ebay are going for.
it's not a warranty issue per se because it's covered, but who wants to have a 70 plus car and have it be in the shop for many months.
just a scare tactic to justify an extra few thou in commissions or some or alot of truth to it?

on a not completely unrelated note. I notice for a relatively small population of cars, there are a good number of 2013's and 2012's for sale. is there something about the car which a few months after you buy it you get divorced and have to sell it? there's a NA in socal with under 200 miles for 60 and a couple s's for middish 70's. most with only a 2-3 k miles.
what's that about? and is it connected to the first part of the post?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Tell him to eat shat.
This.

When I went to buy a NA nightfall blue (what a color btw) 2012 Evora the whole transmission needed to be swapped - that 'problem' was detected at the dealer preparation stage, and this is after the car was sitting on the lot for a year. I think it's a function of Lotus farming out the quality control to the dealers rather than doing it in house. I don't really know why they do that, because it gives the impression that the cars are crap. If they would just run the QC in the factory, put 100-200 km on them on their track (would help break in the brakes as well) and sort out whatever the hell is wrong with each one, it would be 1000x better for the public perception. In any case, I was diverted to a 2013 black on cognac.

Then again, my 2011 Audi S4 and the huge list of major issues within 18,000 km....goes to show you that even the high-volume producers can't get anything right. To say nothing of the crapfests that were my string of Wranglers throughout the 2000s.

Within a few hundred km of the 2013 NA Evora, I was getting a pile of engine codes and the car was going in and out of limp mode. It wound up being a software issue (transmission ECU upgrade is all it took to smooth it out). Somehow, no matter how many times I went to and from the dealer, it didn't matter. The car is a star and it's forgiven for a lot of crap. The exclusivity alone is so worth it.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
the guy I spoke to told me that some new or nearly new cars have big trouble which can take a long time to fix. like six months to get a wiring harness if bad electrics (maybe like the red NA on a SE lotus site asking 46).
Are you talking about new cars in general or the Evora? Most of the major horror stories I heard issues relating to the IPS transmission. Otherwise, if you get an Evora, just be prepare for trim and cosmetic issues but nothing that keeps you from actually driving the car. The newer cars, 2012-2014 tend have better Q/C than the 2010-2011 cars.

This site may help:
Known Issues - Evora - TechWiki

In terms of the price, $60K is about where you get a new n/a Evora. A new S would probably be in the mid $70K range. Truth is, Lotus was overly optimistic on MSRP - which is probably the big reason it's not selling well. Not many are paying $95K for their Evora S. In terms of cars that have miles, you need to find out if the miles was from an owner. For example, there's a 2013 S at a L.A. Lotus dealership that has 2000 miles and I think it's still a new car. When I was considering it in April 2013, it did have 1,000 on it and I know it was listed as new car. That S has did some public relations work.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Troll! :thwack:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Allan, my experience is more mid sixties on new NA cars. Talked to approximately 10 dealers on leftover stock. Some wouldn't budge from seventies, most would go mid to high sixties. An undesirably optioned or colored car would obviously be lower.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
follwoing up on mtldean - i bought mine from the same dealor a week or so after he did and knock on wood i had nothing in 3 weeks and about 2,000km.

now i got them to hook up the sat radio before i picked it up and that took a few tries on their part and they had to pull the dash a couple of times. had i tried getting that going myself i would have been screwed.

i did get them to run through and check the headliner, the rear speaker bass, put in a new battery - the Interstate, all things being gleened from this amazing site as part of my own DD on the cars.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Allan, my experience is more mid sixties on new NA cars. Talked to approximately 10 dealers on leftover stock. Some wouldn't budge from seventies, most would go mid to high sixties. An undesirably optioned or colored car would obviously be lower.
My data is a few months outdated and based on prices in September-October when Lotus was running their conquest/owner loyalty program and my local dealer was trying to blow out their S inventory for $76K. And, I was trying to cut a deal on a 2013 IPS S.

I've also notice a few more members join us. So, it could be the demand has picked up a bit.

I'm sure there are deals out there. But, you'll just have to look for them and see what's available.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My data is a few months outdated and based on prices in September-October when Lotus was running their conquest/owner loyalty program and my local dealer was trying to blow out their S inventory for $76K. And, I was trying to cut a deal on a 2013 IPS S.

I've also notice a few more members join us. So, it could be the demand has picked up a bit.

I'm sure there are deals out there. But, you'll just have to look for them and see what's available.
Yep, that's what I be doing. The Austin dealer seemed pretty firm on low 80's And around 10 less for NA. Too rich for me.
There's one for 73 for a 13 Ips s at a Porsche dealer but prefer not the tan interior.
I think 75 is prop ably right at or below actual cost even with special dealer incentives.
Seems that number is for a dealer who's dropping the franchise or one that just wants to dump the car

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
243 Posts
I bought my 2013 IPS S (loaded) Nightfall Blue / Tan interior from a dealer dropping Lotus for $77k in Oct. 2013. My closest dealer is 100 miles away. My first trip fixed a few "niggles". The flaking headlights were put on order but they are still fully functional so no biggie. My biggest problem was a damaged windscreen that was found under a A-pillar cover change. So, I'm waiting for a new windscreen to be installed under warranty and also need to fix some water seepage on the driver's side window.

Not perfect, but the car drives great and hopefully after these issues I can put the dealer trips behind me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought my 2013 IPS S (loaded) Nightfall Blue / Tan interior from a dealer dropping Lotus for $77k in Oct. 2013. My closest dealer is 100 miles away. My first trip fixed a few "niggles". The flaking headlights were put on order but they are still fully functional so no biggie. My biggest problem was a damaged windscreen that was found under a A-pillar cover change. So, I'm waiting for a new windscreen to be installed under warranty and also need to fix some water seepage on the driver's side window.

Not perfect, but the car drives great and hopefully after these issues I can put the dealer trips behind me.
13's warranties have now been punched, at some point that should affect the price.
Weird car: there are a number on new my 2011 out there, and could be from 2010. Strange way to do business. Not sell a new car for 3 years and not sell for what the market will bear. Maybe they don't want to recognize the loss or beat up the market

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Its a very rare car, so the word "market" is hard to define. In many cases the "market" consists of that one rare fella that came by coincidentaly. You can't even give a car away if there isn't a potential customer around.

Exception being the few leading dealers in some areas that do turn these cars and won't have any old ones to sell as new.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Hi Scott, beautiful color combination, the one I initially wanted but was diverted from due to a major transmission issue. Would you be able to snap a photo of this flaking headlight issue? I keep hearing about it but don't know where to look. Thanks

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Its a very rare car, so the word "market" is hard to define. In many cases the "market" consists of that one rare fella that came by coincidentaly. You can't even give a car away if there isn't a potential customer around.

Exception being the few leading dealers in some areas that do turn these cars and won't have any old ones to sell as new.
So true and out of this small buyer pool are those that think a Lotus should be sub $50 because that was a price of a Elise ... I know I am not the only one but I was willing to pay MSRP to get a custom ordered product t5hat I am not only still happy with price / performance wise, I was willing to dump thousands more into it and still think I got a better deal than any P car

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
So true and out of this small buyer pool are those that think a Lotus should be sub $50 because that was a price of a Elise ... I know I am not the only one but I was willing to pay MSRP to get a custom ordered product t5hat I am not only still happy with price / performance wise, I was willing to dump thousands more into it and still think I got a better deal than any P car
This. I lucked out & didn't have to custom order though because the dealer in Austin just received the exact Evora I would've ordered off the ship. I had no problem paying MSRP & have no regrets either. In full disclosure, the window sticker on mine didn't have ~$6k in options listed but were in the car from the factory (i.e. tech pack, premium pack sport, etc.). My car is fully loaded with options, so I still paid more than some S cars have been selling for though. Austin has been the #1 dealer for sales in the U.S., so I suppose they don't have to cut prices as much as others do. :shrug: The fact that they will ship Evoras to & fro (for free) for warranty & other services throughout the U.S. & provide a loaner car to its customers is a pretty nice bonus in my book. :coolnana:

Expecting a sub $50k price tag would make me think that a potential "buyer" rotfl is smoking crack laced with heroin. The Elise is very fun & nice, but it's no Evora. I know this post might tick off the Elige peeps, but let's be real here...new Esprits in 1994 were selling for an MSRP of $70k. A flagship car of the same marque near the price point of the former flagship car 20 years ago is a steal for an exotic IMO. Watering it down isn't going to help anyone. If people can't afford an Evora, they need to re-prioritize things & re-visit their plans when they're in a better position down the road. I've been there & I know the feeling of wanting something I can't afford...I waited 3 years to buy an Evora. Even though I could've afforded one at the beginning it wasn't the right time due to other obligations that came first. There's no shame in that...we all come from different walks of life.

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
... Austin has been the #1 dealer for sales in the U.S., so I suppose they don't have to cut prices as much as others do. :shrug: The fact that they will ship Evoras to & fro (for free) for warranty & other services throughout the U.S. & provide a loaner car to its customers is a pretty nice bonus in my book. :coolnana: .
You are right, you can get what you pay for. I could have purchased in Houston where I go almost every week on business and or to Dallas where I go frequently fro shopping, entertainment, .. but I selected Austin because of their service reputation and no s... sales staff. Yes more expensive initial cost, but great people to deal with and they pick up and deliver the car some 370 miles away for free.

...Expecting a sub $50k price tag would make me think that a potential "buyer" rotfl is smoking crack laced with heroin. The Elise is very fun & nice, but it's no Evora. I know this post might tick off the Elige peeps, but let's be real here...new Esprits in 1994 were selling for an MSRP of $70k. A flagship car of the same marque near the price point of the former flagship car 20 years ago is a steal for an exotic IMO. Watering it down isn't going to help anyone. If people can't afford an Evora, they need to re-prioritize things & re-visit their plans when they're in a better position down the road. I've been there & I know the feeling of wanting something I can't afford...I waited 3 years to buy an Evora. Even though I could've afforded one at the beginning it wasn't the right time due to other obligations that came first. There's no shame in that...we all come from different walks of life.
So true .. I to waited a number of years until I could afford the car. I lusted over it when I when I saw a line of White Evoras outside my hotel in September 2009 being used to shuttle the models at the London Fashion Week, but I know I could not afford it then and had other family priorities than to even buy an Elise/Exige. .. Yes I lusted over the cars more than the models.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A big +1 for me. I was one of the 2010 buyers. I paid full MSRP weeks before they dropped the price. I have had a few problems with my Evora, all have been fixed under warranty. With the exception of my radio head unit that I replaced my self after many failed warranty attempts . I love my car, and now that I am out of warranty, I am ready for what ever is next. I ordered my car with idea of keeping it a long time (as I do with all of my cars). I have owned many other cars from other manufactures like Alfa Romeo, Triumph act. So I am up for what ever is next with my Evora. For me nothing else will do.
Ron:UK:

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Hear hear, I don't buy a car I don't think I can desire for 10 years. Unfortunately I change wife's quicker than cars,now while I am monogamous with women I keep a harem of cars. Maybe I need counseling.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
after the kick back my brand new S was 61% of the cost of my last very loaded 991 S. it is way more than 60% of the car. i told my clients i was trimming the budget:)

these cars are a real deal - they don't need to compete on price, they just need to meet the others on QC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts