The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make a compilation of scenes from various home videos/DVDs of my daughter and burn onto a DVD.

I have also been looking for a new computer on which to do this since my desktop died - considering a Sony which you can get bundled with Adobe Premiere, either full version or LE. Anyone have experience with this program or recommendations on another? I don't need anything too elaborate, but capability to add a few special effects would be nice.

Also any specific recommendations for minimum computer specs? is 512 ram enough, or will it make the editing too slow? I assume I want a good video graphics card... Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks....

·
Registered
23 Posts
get as much memory as you can afford. Adobe premier works very well once you learn the basics. There are easier programs but it does have better effects once you use it a few times. It is a memory hog. Even with other software, having more memory will increase your frame rate without dropping frames (skipping) when editing video. I have 2 GB and don't have dropped frames. It also will allow faster rendering of your project. A good video card will be fine, the fastest & newest don't give significant improvements with adobe premier. They do improve game performace however.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Are you specifically looking for an IBM PC ? Or would you consider a mac ?

The macs I have all came with video editing software, and dvd creating software. I haven't bought a G5 (yet), so don't know if they come with all the software you need, but I suspect they do.

I have a dual G4 1ghz, upgraded to 1gb ram, and have no problems rendering the animations, or editing them. Which is why I'm not using a G5 yet.

If you're going for a PC, I can't help unless you use linux. Sorry.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info ...

While I have always like Macs ( I still have my old color Mac LC I bought 14 years ago in storage in my attic), since we have Windows PCs at work (as well as my current laptop) I would rather not have to worry about compatibility issues so I am staying with a PC....

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Ivan,

I have been using Premiere on a vaio for my field expeditions. I used the top of the line V505 notebook computer and rendering time was fast (1.8Ghz pentium, 1gb RAM). If you're only rendering minor DV video animations/transitions, it is not too processor intensive. If you are doing actual graphics, then you want something more substantial. If that were the case (which it doesnt seem it is), then I would go with a mac.

I prefer the sony computers because they have all that you need for video editing included, assuming you have a DV source.

As stated previously, you can get away with premiere, atleast 512MB memory (although I would recomend a gig, adobe programs are memory hogs) and a good processor. Processor speed makes a big difference on your rendering time.

Are you using an analog source? Or is everything in DV or DVD?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm getting ready to pick up an Acer Aspire 1710... It's awesome 1GB RAm, 120 harddrive, Pentium 4 HT. It's lightning fast.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my old 8 mm tapes I have already had transferred to DVD. I have mini DV tapes that are not on DVD. It is from an older miniDV camcorder so it doesnt have IEEE 1394 output - I think it just has analog output. But the Sony computers I was looking at have an analog video input as well, and they allow you to record from TV also....

from the sony website
"Turn Analog Video into DVD:
Got old 8mm or VHS tapes? Configure your RS600 desktop with a DVD+-RW drive and the optional Giga Pocket Personal Video Recorder, and simply plug in your analog video source and transfer it to DVD. Or just store it on the Hard Drive as a digital file. Your old home videos can now virtually last forever as a DVD which can be played back on most DVD players. "

·
Registered
758 Posts
I used to do hardware certification for large companies wanting to give linux a whirl. Sony's were by far the best. All the hardware was good quality stuff.

A simular speed IBM or Dell laptop would always be smoked by the Sonys due to all the software dependant cr4p they put in those things.

If the story is the same today, I'd recommend a Sony (well .. first Mac, then Sony).

My only complaint was their weight per feature ratio. Though now it seems like Toshiba and HP are trying to out do them. Seems like Mac is the only one who thinks laptops should be portable ...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Premiere is a very good program, but I find it's has a pretty long learning curve, because it can do so much. If you only want to do basic editing, you can probably just use Windows Movie Maker. It can capture from an analog or digital source. It allows you to easily move around clips and add little effects between clips. When the limitations of that program start to bother you, then switch to premiere. It can do almost anything you can dream up for video editing :) Ok, not quite, but it is a very powerful tool.

And I'm going to repeat what the others have said 512MB minimum, and fast processors noticably speed up any conversions. But I would think any of the latest CPUs would be plenty fast. Good luck :)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
usofrob said:
Premiere is a very good program, but I find it's has a pretty long learning curve, because it can do so much.
that is my concern....if I go with the Sony computer, for $39 you can get the LE version of Premiere- not sure how limited it is, but probably enough for me right now.....

This is probably what I will go with:
PCV-RS600CG
Giga Pocket™ Personal Video Recorder
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.0 GHz
1 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR400, 512 MBx2)
160 GB Hard Disk Drive
ATI RADEON 9200 (128MB)
DVD+-RW Drive
DVD-ROM Drive

$1649 with 17" LCD

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Premiere is awesome, but I'm humbled by the features -- much like Photoshop. Every time I think I know how to use those, someone else comes along and shows me how to do it better in half the time.

Nothing sped up my Premiere like going to faster (hyperthreading) CPU and putting my Scratch disk on a dual-SATA RAID. This stuff isn't lofty high-price gear any more. Fry's has motherboards with P4 3.0E processors for $200 all the time.

Hardware is finally catching up to some of these programs.

I can toss around graphics files now that would have been sluggish or unthinkable just two years ago.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
ivan1 said:
that is my concern....if I go with the Sony computer, for $39 you can get the LE version of Premiere- not sure how limited it is, but probably enough for me right now.....

This is probably what I will go with:
PCV-RS600CG
Giga Pocket™ Personal Video Recorder
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.0 GHz
1 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR400, 512 MBx2)
160 GB Hard Disk Drive
ATI RADEON 9200 (128MB)
DVD+-RW Drive
DVD-ROM Drive

$1649 with 17" LCD
That is actually a pretty decent deal.

I typically expect to pay about $1200 for a workstation w/o monitor when I custom build one. The thing to watch out for when going with a purchase from one of the larger companies is skimping on the things that the consumer doesn't know much about. My favorite is Dell & how they still like to use shared memory for the built-in video card - making the computer appear to work at about 1/10th the speed it should (but they can still claim 3 GHz and 200 GB HD)

I would double check the hard drive - make sure it's at least 7200 rpm and at least ATA100 and has an 8MB buffer. Hard drive performance is very important when it comes to video editing.

Make sure the RAM is decent quality with a CAS latency of 2.5 or less.

They are kindof cheaping out on your video card.

Also, if you can call them, ask them NOT to install any unecessary software. Get Windows, get the drivers & programs for the Giga-Pocket thing, and that's it. No anti-virus, no firewall, no return-configuration, etc. Install that stuff yourself so you can see what bogs you down and what doesn't. I prefer to get a hardware firewall & run a passive anti-virus program every so often.

If you feel comfortable with it, you can piece it together and build it yourself - higher quality parts for less money, but you get no support & if something breaks, you have to fix it. If you build it yourself, check out www.pricegrabber.com and www.pricewatch.com :)

oh, and Premier is the way to go. You might want to get "Cleaner" as well - make your high-compression videos look much nicer.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hard drive: 160 GB Ultra ATA/100 (7200 rpm)
I would have to contact them for more details on the ram...

I forgot to mention they have a promo - you get a $200 "e-card" good for a future online purchase at sony.com of $299 or more...

makes the deal that much better
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts