The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
What are you looking for? Exige? 07-up? White? Let's go shopping tomorrow. I'm going to look at some Evoras with Lotus Nut and D-Onion. Hopefully Ali decides not to join us.
Where and when?? Depends on the price and model.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Rolex are still very classic

For my birthday this summer, I found a lightly used Rolex Explorer. It is less than a year old and has almost no wear. I plan on it being my new daily watch, as my other watch is a somewhat rare GMT Master II that has started to increase in value.

I still like Rolexes the best. They are classic, and there is a model for almost every personality. I really wanted a functional, stylish watch that is not ostentatious. The Explorer history goes back to the forties and fifties,and is a much less complex watch than some. This particular one came with Rolex's newest 3132 movement and a dial that glows blue. Very pleased so far.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
i have to say i like that!
...coming from an ardent rolex hater! :)

For my birthday this summer, I found a lightly used Rolex Explorer. It is less than a year old and has almost no wear. I plan on it being my new daily watch, as my other watch is a somewhat rare GMT Master II that has started to increase in value.

I still like Rolexes the best. They are classic, and there is a model for almost every personality. I really wanted a functional, stylish watch that is not ostentatious. The Explorer history goes back to the forties and fifties,and is a much less complex watch than some. This particular one came with Rolex's newest 3132 movement and a dial that glows blue. Very pleased so far.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i have to say i like that!
...coming from an ardent rolex hater! :)
Exactly! The trouble wth the most plain Rolexes is that stores rarely carry them. A lot of the watches have become way too busy for me wth crazy dials, functions I'd never use and gigantic cases. This new Explorer has a 40mm case, so nor small, but not bad. I had never seen me in person, just the older version.

One thing about Rolex I do very much like... You can buy any Vintage of watch, and as long as it is original (no aftermarket parts) Rolex will fully refurbish it for you and include a new two year warranty. This means y can buy one at almost any price range and still end up with almost a brand new watch.

Nice to see there are some other Rolex fans on the forum... N other posts, I saw a few Daytonas, Submariners, an older Explorer and a Milguass. Fun!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here's my watch. It won't fit in to the OP's budget I'm afraid, but having found this thread I had to post a pic of something a bit different.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a few watches:

But my daily is Rolex Oyster Perpetual style 116034 Blue face.

Here is a stock photo for reference.

My next one I am looking at is a Breitling SuperOcean 44 (yeah I know it's not a submariner)

For the OP a watch that I like (not sure others would agree) within your budget would be the Tag F1.

I would want a the Gulf Oil special edition.

·
Registered
569 Posts
This is my daily watch and I love it!!
Casio Edifice Black Label
EQS-500
I've had it for over a year. I first saw it in F1 magazine where it was featured in a multi page ad with the Red Bull F1 Team. At that time they were really hard to find. Now they're more common and easier to get. I think I paid around $200. It's also solar powered so no winding or battery replacement.
There's also one that's a little more expensive with an atomic time feature.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to throw them my way, I'd be more than happy to answer them!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I purchased this watch from Fox Valley back in 2004, it was $150. The hands and numbers glow in the dark and it has a chrono down to nano seconds.

Attachments

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Hamilton Navigator's Chronometer

Here's my favorite watch - a Hamilton 4992B Navigator's Chronometer. I've had one for over 30 years. I'm a pilot and a controller, so the link to (WWII) airborne navigation is neat and the 24-hour face is a little unusual. It was originally stored in a metal canister that isolated it from big temperature swings as well as vibration and magnetic fields. If you're over enemy territory doing time-and-distance nav, you'd want it to be right!

Carrying it on a lanyard is a little bit of a disservice to it, but it wouldn't get used otherwise. Not too many watchmaker's know how to maintain or rebuild these anymore, so I've had to hunt around for a good craftsman to maintain it. It's very accurate ... just a couple of seconds a month with care.

Glen

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'd love a Panerai next. One of my favorite models right now is the PAM 111, because it uses the sapphire caseback and sandwich dial. The only downside to PAM is that their in-house movements are significantly more expensive than some of their other models.

I was looking at a Bell&Ross not too long ago, but found the larger square case didn't fit my wrist that well.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I'd love a Panerai next. One of my favorite models right now is the PAM 111, because it uses the sapphire caseback and sandwich dial. The only downside to PAM is that their in-house movements are significantly more expensive than some of their other models.

I was looking at a Bell&Ross not too long ago, but found the larger square case didn't fit my wrist that well.
i love my pam 111, i highly recommend it :)

pretty much any "in house" movement is going to be that 8k and up price point, no matter the maker. iwc is essentially the same there too.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 189 Posts