The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If it comes, as the Autoweek article suggests it might, I'd rather wait. The only problem is I don't see how the car will be any faster than the US Elise as the engine will be the same and the weight can't be much different.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Jon said:
The only problem is I don't see how the car will me any faster than the US Elise as the engine will be the same and the weight can't be much different.
I agree, except I expect Lotus will create some difference because it would make more marketing sense.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Lotus had trouble selling 600 Exiges over two years to the rest of the world.

Doesn't make sense to me to bring it here.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
There's no reason for them to bring it here anytime soon. The Elise will keep them PLENTY busy here, and they need to focus on the major redesign for 2006/2007 (per the Federal bumper waiver). In the meantime, they're supposedly working on a new Esprit as well.

As for how it could be faster - remember, one of those magazine articles (Autoweek?) quoted the Lotus engineers as saying the engine could handle 300hp. Now, how would they know that, unless...?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I hope they bring it over, although who knows what the S2 exige will drive like. But if you compare, say a S1 160 to an S1 exige, there's no comparison...the exige is a better track car. Made my heart pitter patter when I was at Brands Hatch.

Guess it all depends what you're looking for. I can live w/o a convertible (already have one in the garage).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The Exige (at least my S1) isn't real great for hot summer days. It may be good in the UK where it doesn't get about 80 degrees very often, but in any kind of heat you just cook inside the car.

I have big problems with the new Exige from a purist point of view. The Exige was originally built to be the road-going version of the Motorsport Elise. The S2 Exige is no more than a fastback Elise, IMHO. It has no history or reason for being. Call it what it is, a fastback Elise.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I prefer the look of the Liz and I like the open top. The Exige would have to have a lot more power and even better handling to win my money.

It would however be nice to see them bring it over... But maybe not, I'm already confused about the color thing; if they bring over the Exige it will just make things worst.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If Lotus were to ever import a US spec, road legal Exige, it would be my car of choice over anything else. I love the Elise, but give me an Exige!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts