The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So friday I was in stop-and-go traffic when I hit the brakes and the ABS went wacko and the car refused to stop. I rearended a guy at 2mph. TWO! I braked on a threshold between cobblestone and pavement, i believe. I wasn't alert enough to get off and on the brakes in time, and I rode it into the back bumper of an A6.

Cracked the crap outta my clam. I'm not amused. I know the idea that it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools, but this doesn't get to happen again! There's a light on my way home that triggers it a couple times a week too, so I wasn't unfamiliar with the behavior, just not expecting it there.

Best repro i can track down is a little different than the other issues i've read on here. Only happens under 10MPH, and I have to already be on the brake when I go over a bump/surface change. This repros at the intersection that I hit the gentleman at as well as the above-mentioned intersection. If i've got speed up, nothing happens. Stock pads, stock rotors.

Anyhow. My Miata had no ABS and I preferred the feel of that, plus I was never scared that my brakes would fail on me. I want to disable ABS in a way that A: doesn't leave the ABS light on, and B: is revertable if I loan the car to someone. Anyone sell/posted a switchable ABS disable by chance that doesn't trigger the ABS light?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You can simply pull the pin on the Gauge connector - get the wiring diagram for the correct pin as I do not have it handy

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does pulling B3 disable ABS as well as the light or is this just a way to stop the light teamed with the usual "unplug the ABS sensor" trick?

I'm trying to do this a bit cleaner, with idiotproofing as well. Would love to mount a small pushbutton by the odo reset to turn ABS on for those rare times, maybe it makes sense to just put a switch on the fuse and live with the ABS tell-tale for the sake of knowing what's up... hrm.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Matt, has Antoine's Black Cloud attached itself to you? First the Duke of Hazard deal and now this!!!!!!!!!! :p

BTW, my car has the same ABS thing as well as the high speed deal (not sure they are unrelated).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts