The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Before I got my Elise, Silver_Surfer would always harp about weight in the car and I thought he was insane... well more so at least. Now that I have one, I see why there's so much hype.

There is some weight to be lost in the car still, but you'll have to ask yourself... will the car be as livable as it was prior to the reduction. Also, there will be a point where you'll be tempted to use exotic materials for this weight reduction as well. As we all know... exotic = expensive.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Has anyone thought about drag reduction techniques instead of crazy weight reductions?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I hope I'm not one of those who you believe is shortsighted. I'm all for a good weight reduction, what I am not for is going broke trying to do so. I also want the car to be streetable as well. That last point may be where I loose some of you as I fully intend on keeping the car a street car with autocross and circuit duties added on. When or if the day comes where I want a Lotus track only car, I'll buy a 211 or Exige and swap the needed parts over along with a healthy weight reduction.

I feel that this is another big (additive) one...but I also feel that this topic belongs in its own thread.
I do agree that this is a discussion all onto it's own, I just presented it as an alternative to buying expensive and light weight components, or potentially changing the structural integrity of the car.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I hope he's saying it would take a lot of shaved hair to equal any substantial weight savings.

No one can be so obtuse as to think that no weight saving no matter how minor won't be an advantage.

1 - 4 of 5 Posts