The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2006 Exige
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a weight weenie. It started with mountain biking. I know how much every part of my bike weighs to the gram. Same with my ultralight backpacking hobby.

Since it is part of the way I'm wired, it has of course carried over to cars. I've always left the spare tire/jack at home if the car comes with one (not offroad trucks though). The Elise/Exige is a unique car in that it is already very light. This isn't a McLaren F1 though - there is still a lot of weight to be lost.

I've seen all of the weight loss threads on here, but I'm interested in the crazy lengths people have gone to save weight.

When I saw this picture from today http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/what-190193/, my first thought was to cut that extra thing off and save weight!

Attachments

·
2006 Exige
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will the car be as livable as it was prior to the reduction.
I think that is different for everyone. I will NOT remove my airbags, even though it is a significant amount of weight. I did, however, remove a different safety device - those 2 little red reflectors in the doors. I think it was around 1 ounce for both of them. No joke - I'm sick.

I also removed the interior side carpets and wheel caps because I like the way it looks better without them.

·
2006 Exige
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could probably drill out the centers of the majority of the screws on the car. Since most of the screws are steel, it would add up quickly. I bet with just 200-300 hours of work, you could loose over a pound of material.

Also, speed holes.
Those are good ideas! I had to look up 'speed holes' - ha ha. Yeah, I'll probably start drilling holes all over my rear clam tomorrow. :crazyeyes

·
2006 Exige
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The idea...at least mine, is people post how they have saved weight in non standard ways...then everybody can choose to do it or not. This is a place to post your ideas.
Yes, that is exactly how I envisioned this post going. Thank you. If only I could delete half the posts on this thread.

Back to the real topic...

I like this one - Post #932 - There is an unused mounting bracket on the AC pump that weighs 42 grams. I can't believe Lotus left that on there: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/been-awhile-carbon-fiber-project-108612/index47.html

"itslotawrk" has really done some unique work in the weight saving department. Ti and aluminum hardware in a lot of places such as around the gas lid door. He even drilled out the heads of his Ti lug nuts from Radium and made custom carbon fiber clamps for his sway bar. That is the type of stuff I want to hear about.

Anyone replace those heavy steel license plate bolts with 2 plastic bolts. Easy to do and that's weight off of the very back of the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts