The Lotus Cars Community banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
It blocks off the tubes that connect the breather from the block to the valve cover, so you eliminate the piping. BOE says the breather is not needed.

The third piece eliminates the heater hose hardline to the block. Previous owner removed the heater core so I'm not sure if that hardline is still on the block and just blocked off on a hose somewhere, or what. Will find out when I tear into the car in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well looking at the numbers you guys are mentioning makes me glad i dont have your heavy cars!!

My Series 1 Elise currently weighs 1529lbs and thats with big heavy wheels(16x8/17x9), turbo/chargecooler and full big aero package(1750mm dual element wing), without the extras it would be down to 1397lbs, i know a friend who got his hill climb elise down to 1287lbs

·
2006 Exige
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The idea...at least mine, is people post how they have saved weight in non standard ways...then everybody can choose to do it or not. This is a place to post your ideas.
Yes, that is exactly how I envisioned this post going. Thank you. If only I could delete half the posts on this thread.

Back to the real topic...

I like this one - Post #932 - There is an unused mounting bracket on the AC pump that weighs 42 grams. I can't believe Lotus left that on there: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/been-awhile-carbon-fiber-project-108612/index47.html

"itslotawrk" has really done some unique work in the weight saving department. Ti and aluminum hardware in a lot of places such as around the gas lid door. He even drilled out the heads of his Ti lug nuts from Radium and made custom carbon fiber clamps for his sway bar. That is the type of stuff I want to hear about.

Anyone replace those heavy steel license plate bolts with 2 plastic bolts. Easy to do and that's weight off of the very back of the car.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am not the first to do this, but battery cable weight is not well documented. I moved my battery to the engine bay below the air intake a while ago, but just recently shortened my battery cables. This saved me 1.33 lbs by shortening the cables. I am using two 12 cell EVO Ballistic batteries tied together to give me 24 cells and weighs 4.9 lbs. I previously used a single 16 cell EVO battery which failed on me after 10 months. This setup is performing significantly better. I have a short pig tail line to the battery which makes hooking up the trickle charger very easy.

I removed 27 inches of positive and negative cable length. I'm also installing the BOE rear oil cooler kit (~18 lbs saved with removal of the stock system) and toe link half kit (1.80 lbs saved). Saving me a little over 21 lbs total. Space is a bit tight on this side of the engine bay now, but everything fits well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Every time I have the wheel off I look at the front spindles and want to pull them and stick them on the lathe. Boring the splines out of those has to be worth a few ounces of unsprung, and its free.....

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've gone all out reducing weight in my last racecar. I bought an 87 SCCA IT CRX SI. Started life at 2100 pounds with the cage in place. I ran in a prepared class with no weight min, so did all the normal stuff....undercoating and rustproofing, all interior, wiring to anything not used, dash removed with the cluster mounted to the rollcage cross bar (where the dash was), lexan windows (except windshield) removal of driver/passenger windows and door bars, all brackets holding wires, hoses replaced with zip ties, removed the radiator fan. Cut and drilled lots of non structural parts. I did everything on a budget. Built an aluminum hood from above ground swimming pool aluminum and aluminum rivets. 5 pounds. Cost about $1 for rivets. I did a little when I had spare time. Dropped it to just under 1600 pounds. I could have done another 200 pounds given enough time (and still for little or no money). Still had openning doors and latches and the hatch had one gas tube (only needed 1 with all the weight removed from it).

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I was playing with optimizing the brake bell... I got a very even load throughout the bell. I modeled a stupidly high (13,500-lbs) load on the bell and was still able to get it down to 13 1/4 oz (378gms)! And this is for the very large 203.2mm PCD discs (315mm x 28mm AP Racing discs).

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.