The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, but haven't found anything to that effect.

I'm looking at my 1k mile service coming up, and wanted to know if there is anything that should sway me one way or another btwn Boardwalk or SF BMG -- right now I'm leaning towards Boardwalk, but was wondering if anyone has input.

TIA !
-Dana

·
Registered
803 Posts
yep, I have...

I did my 1K service with Boardwalk. They were courteous, allowed me to bring my own oil, and provided a dump of my ECU printout. I liked the tech that worked on my car.

I was impressed with the parts department as well. I asked for prices on a set of manuals, and they apologetically told me the price.

Since then I have attended the Silicon Valley Auto Group open house and watched them perform the 1K service on two cars. I also finally ordered my manuals from them.

I suspect all the service departments are trying to do a good job, keeping in good with Lotus and trying to gain a share of the tiny Lotus service market. If Lotus reverts to tradition, service can be big buisness. I suspect things have changed and we have a more modern, reliable product.

Next time I will take my car to SVAG. I do not have any information about BMC, oops, BMG in SF.

Michael

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Go to SVAG, Dana! I think they will certainly be doing more servicing than Boardwalk over the long haul, and this means they'll be building more institutional experience with the car. So start that relationship with SVAG now -- sooner the better. Plus, SVAG *did* graciously host the tech day, and they *are* honoring MSRP, so I say give'em the business. And finally... the ride down 280 is quite nice -- at least in an M3. :eek:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Dana, I recommend SVAG too.
they replaced a broken grill on my car. Andrew the service mgr is very courteous and knowledgeable. Ryan, the Lotus mechanic, seems very conscientious about what he is doing and takes his time to do things right.
Call and talk to Andrew. You can also ask about having your car picked up here in SF (that may be an available service).

andy

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I bought my car from Boardwalk, but had my 1K service done at SVAG during the open house. I was pleased with their work. I assume Boardwalk would do a good job as well.

I'm going to be using SVAG for my service needs because of the convenience of their pickup/delivery service. They will pickup/delivery either you or the car (on a flat bed truck). I've used these services and they are wonderful!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy cow! Really, SVAG will pick up and drop off your car via flatbed? Hot damn. I really didn't want to drive all the way down to Los Gatos... do they charge extra for that?

OK, SVAG seems to be the concensus. I'll give 'em a call.

[Andy, aren't you at 1k miles yet?! You need to drive that car of yours some :) ]

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
not yet Dana!

:p

and there is not extra charge for the pickup/dropoff service.

I'm also trying to decide whether to join the seloc group buy for HID lights. The Osram's are a better than stock, but I still want something brighter...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just dropped off my car today at Boardwalk for it's 1K service, cost I believe will be $435. A little pricey, they mentioned that their parts department charges $15 a quart which adds greatly to the price and reccomended bringing my own oil next time. Dan the mechanic there seemed really attentive and knowledgable about the car, good mechanics are definitely worth the extra dent in the wallet. Not sure if it's worth paying Lotus dealership service prices for just an oil change next time?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
speaking of oil, I have a coworker who sells Amsoil products. I'll find out from him what price we can get for Amsoil 5w-40. For those not familiar with Amsoil, do a web search and you'll see many are very high on their synthetic products....

quick show of hands:
how many in the area would want Amsoil?

so far dealers are gouging us for Havoline synthetic and you can find Mobil 1 at your local Kragen at $4.99 per quart.
Amsoil is more than Mobil 1 (I'm pretty sure) but I want the best for my baby and I am going on faith and others that Amsoil is better than Mobil 1...

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
If anyone is interested a racing friend (ex-GGLCer) is the distributor for Redline. We can get Redline & JB products wholesale by the case only.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am interested in Amsoil for my Elise. I usually buy from a Amsoil dealer in Belmont, if we have a group buy I am definitly intereted. I've use Amsoil on all my cars and I like it.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
ok, spoke to my friend.
he's going in today to check on the price of the Amsoil. For those not familiar with Amsoil, it is a multi-level marketed product so pricing can be different dependant on who you buy from. He just sells the stuff on the side so he's not completely sure of the price. He'll get back to me later today so stand by for the price. I told him I needed about 3 cases so if we are going to need more speak up now (of course we can always get more from him later).

I asked about storage/shelf life. He said oil can sit for years without any degradation. The idea of oil absorbing water and becoming useless is a fallacy according to him. He said there is no problem "stocking up" on the oil and using it a couple of years down the line....

just passing on the info.

i'll post later when he firms up the price.

i asked about other synthetics. he feels amsoil is the best (of course) and Mobil 1 second with Redline right up there with Mobil 1 but costing much more.

once I mentioned I needed 5w-40 he said, "oh, that's a european weight." :p

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Hmm, well my friend just went ahead and bought me 3 cases of 5w-40 Amsoil.

So I'll keep one for myself and sell the other 2 cases to the first requestor(s).

75.00 per case which was my cost including tax

anyone want?

I can get more if needed

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
It's the regular synthetic; the box doesn't say "racing synthetic."

I'm not claiming this to be the absolute cheapest price one can find. I had a friend/distributor get the stuff for me and I'm just offering it at my price.

just did a quick google search and it looks like you'd save about 10 dollars since shipping brings the online store total up.

stuttgart, let me know if you can find it for less than the price I had to pay so next time I'll get the stuff through you instead.

:)

If/when someone organizes a meet in the area I can always bring the oil with me (oooh, delivery...!) or we can arrange a pickup in SF.

If nobody wants it then I'll just use it for my Elise

:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts