The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say I have not yet driven nor sat an Elise. I do own a C4 Corvette which is a bit difficult to get in an out of, although not so severe as I believe the Elise will be. The C4 is only difficult when you can't fully open the very wide door. I'm guessing this will be the same with an Elise. It will be difficult to enter anytime and worse when you can't get the door open due to someone parking too close. I have also seen several posts mentioning that it is ill advised to parallel park an Elise, This being because of its size. SUV's won't be able to see you as they try and enter and exit spots in front and in back of you. Many older (and female) drivers use the "slow and bump" method of getting in and out of spots. All you have to do to find the next car's bumper is creep till you hit then turn the wheel and reverse direction. If properly executed, this method works usually, without damage. If it's your Elise getting bumped though you may be rather unhappy. You have no bumpers, just paint and fibreglass.

With this in mind I've started cruising parking lots pretending I'm in the Elise. Just where should I park ? Most places I go it's not too encouraging. I think I'm going to have signs made and laminated in plastic to place in my front and rear windows when parked. "This car has no bumpers please do not hit" Then again I could always cut off a foot and get a handicap placard. Then there would be plenty of parking safety. Some jerk might see the placard in that car and think "Yeah right, that guy driving the Lotus is handicapped ?" I think I'll key his car.

So much to worry about, too much free time.

Steve

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I am not sure head-in parking is that much better. How many people will think they found an empty spot, pull in only to find at the last second (hopefully not too late) there is a car in the spot. I think I will use mine for driving only - no parking....

·
Registered
111 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
absolutely, positively no parallel parking.
Chris
It isn't too bad for us in georgia, there aren't too many places where you have the opportunity to parallel park, except in VA highlands; but that is all walking distance, so no big deal. I image it is more of an issue for the guys in Cal and the Northeast, where parking is at more of a premium.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yes it will be quite easy, I think, to make yourself crazy with this car. I'm already neurotic with my miata - but so far, it's paid off in the sense that there is not a single door-ding, scratch etc. on that car after 5 1/2 years ! Was it worth it ? It is to me, I guess.

Here's what I plan to do -- the same thing I'm already doing, which is - park as far away from other cars as possible, cover the car when it's going to be left alone for extended periods, and generally just be way over-protective (or, anal depending on your perspective on these things).

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
2 weeks ago when I left my SUV at the airport I initially came across a great spot in the front row of the lot right by the walkway. After thinking about it though I thought it was too high a traffic area and gave up the spot to park further towards the back of the lot . When I got back to the airport 4 days later I had 2 big dents in my rear passenger door, probably from one of those luggage carts - no matter what you do it only takes one careless idiot to damage your car

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My little Miata has been hit by a runaway shopping cart (not mine!), passenger side door was dinged by someone who flung open their door to get out of their car, rear end was dinged by a somewhat drunk young guy in Las Vegas who did not quite stop before tapping me, front end has numerous dings from road debris, windshield has a nice star from a flying bolt.

It's hard to escape life on the road totally unscathed. I hate parallel parking due to the aforementioned slow and bump method, which I have witnessed far too often in LA and the suburbs. Sometimes you can go for the remote paranoid spots in parking lots, but there are times when this doesn't work, and no matter how much room you try to give them, some people will still open their doors until they hit resistance (i.e., your car). My wife is a doctor, so I could get a handicap parking placard, but that would look suspicious and possibly provoke someone to hurt the car, and besides I don't really want to take up the space of someone who actually needs it.

I plan to be cautious for as long as possible, but realistically I expect to get dinged now and then. It's only a car and that's the tradeoff if you want to drive a lot.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
At some point being over protective would greatly take away from the pleasure of driving. I think of the small stuff as battle scars. Get a new paint job every few years or so and enjoy the toy.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
heck, the Elise will be no fun when parked anyway, so why bother? Just keep moving, don't stop. Eat at drive-thrus. Don't take it shopping, just DRIVE it. :)

I'm not sure what I'll do about parking it at home. I have a one car garage, and certainly can't open the driver's door completely. Without doing so, I don't know if I'll be able to get OUT of the car (with the top on). I have more room on the passenger side, so who knows, I may end up backing into the garage just so I can get in and out.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I say get out of the car before you put it in the garage and push it in ...:)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
The other day, I was pulling into Home Depot, and I saw a shopping cart rolling across the parking lot at high speed in the wind. Apparently someone didn't care enough to put it away. Some onlookers smiled and pointed as it barrelled on towards some parked cars. I quickly engaged my e-brake, jumped out of my car, and ran at the shopping cart, stopping it just in time, and I put it away where it wouldn't roll into cars. The people around me looked at me like I was crazy. I don't get it. Is everyone an indifferent piece of **** these days?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
In Miami I would expect that to happen. Most of the people down know how to handle driving a car, do you think they are much bettter with shopping carts? Never go to the Homeless Depot on a weekend, its total madness there. Transio, are you every going to sleep, or are you still up writing your manafesto to Hethelm into the early morning hours! Good Night!!!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
xfactor said:
It isn't too bad for us in georgia, there aren't too many places where you have the opportunity to parallel park, except in VA highlands; but that is all walking distance, so no big deal. I image it is more of an issue for the guys in Cal and the Northeast, where parking is at more of a premium.
HI Xf,
I know! I live in Columbus, GA

CHris

·
Registered
107 Posts
I also once saw a shopping cart moving at high speeds in a strong wind in a parking lot. It was heading right towards a nice shiny new miata. At the time, I was pushing an empty cart. I hauled ass towards the other cart, and smacked it with my cart. I swear it was less than a foot from hitting the miata (had I not had my cart, I wouldn't have made it in time).

Everyone nearby in the lot started laughing out loud. :) I myself thought the situation was kinda funny, though... I didn't think they were laughing at me for trying to protect someone else's property so much as they were laughing at the pretty silly show of some dude charging and smashing a runaway shopping cart.

And that cart was moving FAST. It would have done something pretty ugly to that poor miata.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sownman is spot on. When the roof is up, you have to open the Elise door fully in order to exit. When the roof is off, it is better but not much !!

You will learn to pick parking spots VERY carefully, and to eat / drink / shop in view of your car.

Giles

·
Registered
109 Posts
waelsie said:
Sownman is spot on. When the roof is up, you have to open the Elise door fully in order to exit.
Naaah... when I park my Elise in my garage I have about 20 inches of space at the drivers side to open the door and still manage to get out (with hardtop bolted on) :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts