The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now im not talking about heavy with TV's and neons etc...

im talking a high line upscale audiophile sound quality system? if so post some pics up im curious to see how and what you did....

my system that is going into the car next week: (keep in mind im an old school car stereo guy)

image dynamics cd-1e horns
dynaudio 5.25 mids for front
dynaudio 6.25 mids in rear
carbon fiber rear box
10" alumapro alchemy 10
Rockford Fosgate EPX-2 Symmetry
Adzzest(clarion) X9255 head unit
2 4x100 MB Quart Premium Amps (was trying to find some old school Xtant Amps but havent yet so these will do

anyways any feedback would be great

thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just finished the install in my S-240...

Here's the system:

a/d/s/ 5.25" single point source speakers in dash
a/d/s/ 5.25" mids only as rear fill (powered by radio - just used to add some dimension)
a/d/s/ P440.2 4-channel amp (powering front speakers + sub)
Soundtream DVD/CD/MP3 Head Unit with 3.5" Active Matrix Display...
Boyo License Plate bracket with backup camera
Custom built ported enclosure with JL Audio 8W3 in passenger footwell

I'm extremely happy with the sound of the system... I'm extremely critical of auto sound being a 2 time National Champion in car audio... The sound is very clear and precise and the custom built enclosure kicks the crap out of the JL Stealthbox... The only disappointment was my choice of headunit... I should have put in the JVC as it has settings for digital time alignment... So that will be my next move and I'll put the Soundstream unit in my wifes California Special...

I'll be offering the custom built subwoofer enclosure to LT members soon...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a nice setup....

i too am a 2 time IASCA champion, 98 and 99
but it was not for SQ :) it was the back then 1-160.1 class SPL

1 ten inch woofer 157.8 db :) legal
those were the days people had quality products
(just in case you care: 1 rockford power DVC 10 DVC, crossfire 404, panasonic dfu head unit..... everything else stock in a 93 cherokee, in a custom box in the back of the hatch)

but now i want to have a great sounding stereo,.... i cant stand the crap we have in these cars!!!
I just finished the install in my S-240...

Here's the system:

a/d/s/ 5.25" single point source speakers in dash
a/d/s/ 5.25" mids only as rear fill (powered by radio - just used to add some dimension)
a/d/s/ P440.2 4-channel amp (powering front speakers + sub)
Soundtream DVD/CD/MP3 Head Unit with 3.5" Active Matrix Display...
Boyo License Plate bracket with backup camera
Custom built ported enclosure with JL Audio 8W3 in passenger footwell

I'm extremely happy with the sound of the system... I'm extremely critical of auto sound being a 2 time National Champion in car audio... The sound is very clear and precise and the custom built enclosure kicks the crap out of the JL Stealthbox... The only disappointment was my choice of headunit... I should have put in the JVC as it has settings for digital time alignment... So that will be my next move and I'll put the Soundstream unit in my wifes California Special...

I'll be offering the custom built subwoofer enclosure to LT members soon...

·
Registered
222 Posts
you should re-look at the horns, they do fit, they are roughly 2.5 inches thick and under the dash leaves you like 1 inch of leg clearance, if you are 5'11" :)
I remember now that I made a cardboard model of the horn & decided that I wouldn't be able to get in/out as I am not very bendable.

As a big Dyn fan, I look forward to hearing more about your install.

·
Registered
99 Posts
JVC KD-NX5000 with Bluetooth adapter
Front: MB QUART PCE213 Components
Back: BOSTON ACOUSTICS Z6 6.5" components
JL Audio 450/4 SLASH SERIES 4 Ch Amp
JL Audio 250/1 Monoblock SUB AMP
JL Stealth 10W1v2D4

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I don't get the big buck stereo thing in a Lotus. It's like sitting down with my Mark Levinson/Martin Logan home rig and having a jack hammer in the room while I am critically listening plus you are just adding weight to a car that is all about power to weight.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I don't get the big buck stereo thing in a Lotus. It's like sitting down with my Mark Levinson/Martin Logan home rig and having a jack hammer in the room while I am critically listening plus you are just adding weight to a car that is all about power to weight.
...those of us who daily drive our lotus use it under more circumstances than just its limit, and a nice stereo adds considerable pleasure to those occasions with negligible effect on the overall power-to-weight ratio...

...if we were talking about upgrading a nice factory stereo to a reference-grade system for critical listening, that'd be something else entirely, but let's face it - the stock stereos in most of these cars are crap, and the constraints within which we must operate mandate trim modification and external amplification just to get something listenable...if you need to spend at least a couple thousand dollars and replace everything to begin with, it's not much of a stretch to spend just a little more and get something of comparable quality to the car itself, and enjoy it on those occasions you might find yourself parked or idling about...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
...those of us who daily drive our lotus use it under more circumstances than just its limit, and a nice stereo adds considerable pleasure to those occasions with negligible effect on the overall power-to-weight ratio...if we were talking about upgrading a nice factory stereo to a reference-grade system for critical listening, that'd be something else entirely, but let's face it - the stock stereos in most of these cars are crap, and the constraints within which we must operate mandate external amplification just to get something listenable...
I agree. I updated mine to a modest Alpine with Ipod control and 4 mb quart speakers.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I agree. I updated mine to a modest Alpine with Ipod control and 4 mb quart speakers.
...how do your mb quarts perform in the stock speaker enclosures, and which drivers were you able to fit?..i haven't heard any reasonable low frequency response from the factory setup yet...

...my greatest source of frustration at the moment is finding a reasonably ergonomic head unit which tastefully suits the car, but still features a direct sunlight readable liquid crystal display...so far it appears my only options are barebones nakamichi or denon models, but they'd both require external ipod controls for which i've yet to devise an uncluttered solution...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
BRG, I would love to see pics of that audio system

mine is pretty basic: JL stealth box, all alpine speakers, and alpine amp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

yes well i completely agree it is about power to weight.... but since i do drive this every day i also care about listening to not CRAP.... also after owning my own car stereo shop for 8 years before you kind of grow attached to it...

anyways everything that i am doing, i am doing with the weight in mind... the heaviest thing i am adding being the sub box combo, which is 11 lbs...
horns 2 lbs
head unit (replacing weight)
front speakers (maybe .5 lb)
rear speakers (maybe .5 lb)
Amps (5 lbs)
wire all together (3 lbs)

so you mean to tell me that for 22 lbs, you would rather listen to the stock blaupunkts? or would you rather listen to an audiophile system, when you know you can get those 22 lbs back easily with some carbon additions, example roof, bottom panels, etc..... :shrug:

money isnt an issue, i want a car that i can enjoy in more ways than one, when i goto the track i like to listen to my music... so i understand that its an opinion and i agree with your opinion... but its not like im asking "who has walled off their elise with 4 12"s, i want pics" -poke-

anyways......

when i get some pics i will post them up :coolnana:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It probably isn't the 'best', but for the cool factor I think the Stormtrooper's Macintosh is hard to beat.

funny you should say that, that is what looks like a McIntosh 406 head unit, which has the same internals as my DRZ9255, which is one of the best head units ever produced , hence yours being better because it is a McIntosh :coolnana:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It probably isn't the 'best', but for the cool factor I think the Stormtrooper's Macintosh is hard to beat.
...i never thought the macintosh could look anything but absurd in our cars until i saw those pictures; surprisingly tasteful...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'll go along with the Martin Logan being great speakers (I have Monoliths), although that's extremely subjective... I had a pair of Kef 107.2 Reference speakers that would put the ML to shame but at my age I've acquired a taste for the sound of electrostatic speakers... However, although you can weld something with a Mark Levinson amp (they are that bulletproof), the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired... Great for bass but mids and highs, no way, go get some audiophile tube amps and find exactly what good sound is all about... You are using ML speakers, why not take advantage of a width and depth of the soundfield with a tube amplifier and make sure you find vintage (1941-1945) tubes... Different tubes have different characteristics, so you can tailor the amp to your taste (try that with a solid state amp)...

I think the point of a nice system in a Lotus is so you can play your music loud enough (with good quality) to overcome the noise threshold, not to attain audiophile sound...

Weight? Like any of us are going to be invited to Indy with our cars... The few pounds it adds is well worth the enjoyment...

In your case I suggest, based on your post, that you may want to consider better home equipment since you're not interested in adding weight to your car :rolleyes:

...i never thought the macintosh could look anything but absurd in our cars until i saw those pictures; surprisingly tasteful...
If you spend the kind of money that they want for new or used MacIntosh equipment, you have more money than brains... Mac has been nothing but a great marketing company for years... The Mac you buy today is not the old Mac on which the reputation was built... There's lots of great high-quality car amps out there for a hell of a lot less money... The Art Series PPI or the older a/d/s/ amps are great examples... No frills, meters or fancy lights; just great sound... Right now for head units, video is hot... If you're looking to have a din mount radio with a small (3.5") crystal clear video screen, then I feel the JVC is tough to beat...

When it comes to my sound I'm extremely descriminating... Having owned several very high-end car audio stores and being the Grand National Champion of the Alpine Car Audio Nationals & IASCA, I think I've earned the right... Hell, no one had ever heard of digital time alignment until I did it in my competition vehicle...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts