The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 sets of OZ Ruotes for my '91 SE (one silver painted, one chromed (!) by the OE), but was looking into other, larger options. My preference would be the AWIs from the V8, but those rarely come up for sale. In my internet sojourns, I came across this brand, ESR. They have some nice looking wheels, will custom drill 5x108, and all for a very reasonable price. Thoughts?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I like the BBS I offered you better :)

That is a nice price. Are they heavy?

Also some years have a different center bore front and rear I think. Make sure they can handle that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the BBS I offered you better :)

That is a nice price. Are they heavy?

Also some years have a different center bore front and rear I think. Make sure they can handle that.
Are you sure that was me? I'm getting older, but I've only had my Esprit 3 weeks...

From what I have read, the ESRs are middling in weight...not light, not super heavy. Regarded in the tuner world as a looks wheel vs a race wheel.

·
Registered
795 Posts
She is a beauty

While the iron is hot- I think these wheels would look great on this car. See thread below.

Still have the two front spares and as it says, the rears can be sourced from BBS.

I think I would go ahead and have 18 inch barrels on the rear so you can have a wide selection of tires.

Let me know your address so I can get them packaged and ready to ship :)

Seriously, let them go for a song if you think you would use them.
Sorry that was in Eds thread.

There is a link - let me know if you want to see if you can figure it out with BBS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you sure that was me? I'm getting older, but I've only had my Esprit 3 weeks...

From what I have read, the ESRs are middling in weight...not light, not super heavy. Regarded in the tuner world as a looks wheel vs a race wheel.
Actually that was me you offered them to @Erik L when I picked up my 91 a couple weeks ago. 😬

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I got my 91s confused.

BTW I have 3 geldings and a mare - 4 horsepower! Ha!
Damn ya got me beat by 1 horsepower!

·
Registered
80 Posts
If I were considering replacing the factory wheels I’d have a serious look at these ESRs. The price is decent and I like the look. But I think I still prefer the look of Erik’s BBS set better.

There’s just something about the fat sidewalls of the original setup. Replace them with larger wheels and you lose that whole 80s/90s vibe of the car! 😜

-Eric

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will tell you what - you can have 2 of mine for free. I will even bring them to you :cool: Back in the lead!
No more! And I’ll make sure the wife does NOT see your offer. 😉

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I were considering replacing the factory wheels I’d have a serious look at these ESRs. The price is decent and I like the look. But I think I still prefer the look of Erik’s BBS set better.

There’s just something about the fat sidewalls of the original setup. Replace them with larger wheels and you lose that whole 80s/90s vibe of the car! 😜

-Eric
I don't disagree, plus the car was engineered to perform with those wheels/tires as part of the overall setup. Not dispositive, but every action has a reaction/effect. I do like the look, especially the fat machined lip. So many now are flush.

·
Registered
795 Posts
That is very true. I really noticed that on the air cooled 911. When people really started modifying them they went to the 17 inch wheels and they lost something. Then people started switching back to 15 inch wheels and $350 a piece tires. Looked great, especially on the wide Body RS/RSR look cars.

1968-Porsche-911-RSR-Wheel.jpg

Since the later Stevens cars had the 17/18 wheels I think they look Ok with the rubber band tires

·
Registered
795 Posts
Also, I tried to be careful with the overall diameter being similar. I did a +1 and with wider tires on a light weight low power car once and the drop off in performance was noticeable.

·
My car sneezes
651 Posts

-Eric
While V8 wheels look good on a SE/S4/S4s, I recently setup a SE with V8 Brembo brakes on all 4 corners. It needed wheel spacers up front to clear the larger front brakes with stock SE wheels so I also added wheel spacers in the rear for aesthetics. They gave the car a very nice stance IMO; loved it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts