1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
480 Posts
I actually live in Orlando but have never seen this car at local car shows etc. I would assume the owner will be attending LOG in October as it's being held here in Orlando.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I will say that is clearly one of the finest Esprit's I have seen. Looks impeccable for sure.
Interior is just stunning and untouched. Curious what its goes for.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Really stunning car

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Oh my, that Esprit is AMAZING! It almost makes me reconsider pursuing an Evora S. It's simply stunning and the Norfolk Yellow is HOT! For those of you more knowledgable about Esprits, what do you think it's worth? 50-60K?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Normal disclaimer: It's worth what anyone wants to pay. But I don't even think a perfectly preserved Esprit that has 0 miles is worth $50k.

I'd say $43 for this one.

Whatever it's worth in the end, we won't know from ebay because these late model Esprits never seem to make their seemingly infinite reserves.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I think lotusespritse hit it on the head "Normal disclaimer: It's worth what anyone wants to pay.".

I paid more for my '04 than i probably should have, but, after searching for 5 years for the one that was right for me it didn't matter. From the pix, it really does look like it was taken well care of.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Im probably going to sell my esprit next year. Its a 2001 With a 2002 rear end conversion. I bought someone elses nightmare. I paid 38K for it and have invested about 22K more in repairs. has new everything rebuilt transmission with upgraded shafts new turbos new.... EVERYTHING. i got screwed on mine, too bad i didnt see this car last year..

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would say it's probably going to sell in the high $40's perhaps close to $50K. Again, the seller is going to have to find the right buyer and they don't come along every day.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
There was another one on the west coast a few months ago when I was shopping. Yellow, 6k miles, recent clutch job (what else is new). Can't remember what the interior color was. I exchanged emails with the seller. Looks like the same car, but this one the sellers history does not sound like it was on the other coast that recently. Probably a different unit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A cautionary tale for Ebay auction newbies.

The car went for $55,000 and according to the bid history went straight to $55,000 from $46,000 on the close.

I am quite saddened to not even get a chance to bid on the car.
My unfamiliarity with Ebay bidding destroyed any chance of getting the car.

a) Don't use a bookmark to view Ebay auctions !
I was watching the auction closely, counting down the time . With less than 3 minutes (with no change in any bid). I went to place a $49,000 max bid and whilst the auction page reacted normally, it refused my bid and said not to use a bookmark to place a bid from. I had to re-search the item from the home page. PAnic :panic:

b) Keep your credit card handy !
I relogged on Ebay, got the auction page up with less than a minute left. I placed the bid. REJECTED !-eek-
Ebay stated that as it was a large bid (and probably because I do not use auctions) that I needed to type in my credit card number to validate that I was the person logged on for the auction.
Are you freaking kidding me !
I ran to get my card, plugged in the number but the refresh showed the auction done and dusted.

So the auction expired , I lost . In all likelihood I would not have time to match the winning bid , so I was clearly out manouevred. But please don't wait to place last minute bids, like me!:mad:

Damn you Ebay !!!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
If I had to guess.... The reserve was 55K and someone that really wanted it put in a bid over 55K so when the auction ended, that person was automatically the winner because the selling price jumped to meet the reserve.

So you would have lost, Max, with your last minute $49K bid. Next time, use one of those eBay robot services to place the bid for you at the last seconds. They really work.

I personally think $55K is way high for this car. Really low miles does not mean really low problems. As a 10 year old car, it could still take $10-$20K to fix and update everything that expires with time and sitting for months (or years) at a time without running.

And if I were you, Max, I would contact the seller in a few days to see if the buyer was for real. Lots of flakes on eBay. I bought my car that way. It had ended and I felt like you did. A couple of weeks later I emailed the buyer just-in-case, and now the car is in my garage. And it's definitely a good one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I will look into an Ebay robot bid , if there is a next Ebay time.

I agree about the possible concern 'too few miles' and the toll that might have on a car. I checked the service history on this car at AstonMartinLotus of Orlando. It had come in for service only one time , in June, and had been 'fixed'. Sticking accelerator cable and one leaking oil line was corrected beyond the normal fluid changes.

$55 k was high for this car IMHO but I can see why it might reach those heights.

Back to the drawing board..

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
If I had to guess.... The reserve was 55K and someone that really wanted it put in a bid over 55K so when the auction ended, that person was automatically the winner because the selling price jumped to meet the reserve.

So you would have lost, Max, with your last minute $49K bid. Next time, use one of those eBay robot services to place the bid for you at the last seconds. They really work.

I personally think $55K is way high for this car. Really low miles does not mean really low problems. As a 10 year old car, it could still take $10-$20K to fix and update everything that expires with time and sitting for months (or years) at a time without running.

And if I were you, Max, I would contact the seller in a few days to see if the buyer was for real. Lots of flakes on eBay. I bought my car that way. It had ended and I felt like you did. A couple of weeks later I emailed the buyer just-in-case, and now the car is in my garage. And it's definitely a good one.
Time for me to out myself. I'm the winner of the auction.

I agree with almost everything in the above post. Yes, $55k is a high price for the car. The very top of the market (now). But, as someone who's been waiting a very long time for the right car, it was worth every penny to me. They're just aren't that many of the 2002-04 cars to choose from and I wanted the best car available. I did my research, spoke with the owner, and thoroughly investigated the car. I'm confidant that it's a highly maintained, no-stories vehicle. The right kind of low-mileage car, if you will.

In the end, I wanted as perfect an example as was out there and this was my one chance to get it.

Max- if it makes you feel any better, I was very intent on getting the car and my last-second Gixen.com bid wasn't going to be beat. I knew the reserve was $55k from talking to the owner, and I thought I'd get it for that price, but I was prepared to pay more if I had to (and my bid reflected that). I hope that makes you feel a little better that you didn't miss out on a car due to eBay's bidding policies.

So, just another case of "it's worth what someone will pay". Looking forward to meeting everyone and being part of the community.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
That seller was very lucky to find you as a buyer at the time of the sale, and you got the car you wanted.

Welcome to the Esprit club!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, congratulations indeed- LivefromNY ! :wallbang:

It would be worthwhile to also note that this experience has also taught me NOT to post Ebay Auctions for other Lotus Talk members to outbid me :) ( Although it sounds like you have been patient for some while).

Seriously, I am pleased that I did not get into a bidding war on this car, which might have become an expensive ego fest if I had not been so inept on Ebay (I contacted the seller with several questions but did not ask the reserve - Doh!) I hope the car delivers many smiles per mile. :up:
(now for Gixen.com hmmmm...)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts