The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I should get the ball rolling...

Any owners out there? Enthusiasts?

I'm out in B.C. and the dealer out here (Weissach) still doesn't have them yet, but what about Toronto, and/or Montreal?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JuLiAn-Y said:
I had my deposit down at weissach a month ago, they said the car is not approved for sale in canada yet.....:(
Really? That's not good... Gee, I hope I'm not building up my hopes for nothing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I responded also in the one thread over in the Rumors and News about the Elise Forum. I've had a deposit with Weissach for over a year now. They have given me a consistent story that Lotus will try to bring it into Canada, however the date keeps slipping. I did receive an e-mail from John Scotti in Montreal that I included in my other reply which suggests that Lotus will continue trying to bring the Elise to Canada.

Hopefully the Elise does not suffer the same fate as so many great cars like the R32 Golf that don't make it in because of bumper regs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dogma said:
I responded also in the one thread over in the Rumors and News about the Elise Forum. I've had a deposit with Weissach for over a year now. They have given me a consistent story that Lotus will try to bring it into Canada, however the date keeps slipping. I did receive an e-mail from John Scotti in Montreal that I included in my other reply which suggests that Lotus will continue trying to bring the Elise to Canada.

Hopefully the Elise does not suffer the same fate as so many great cars like the R32 Golf that don't make it in because of bumper regs.
Yes, I saw and replied to that post of yours in "Rumors".

Canada has lost many neat cars (and bikes too) that have come and gone from the market place. It sucks that the standards are only a little bit higher than the U.S. which keeps it from being accepted.

If you don't mind me asking (or you can email me [email protected]), did Weissach let you know where you are on their waiting list?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was 34 on the waiting list at Weissach when I gave them my desposit. I don't think it climbed up very quickly after that. I have to check my notes, but I think when I e-mailed Asgar at Weissach in June the wait list had only climbed into the 40s. It is possible that some people have dropped off of the list because of the uncertainty.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I called John Scotti last week. Told me that they had a chat with Transport Canada and are keeping the faith the car will be available in Canada. Problems are the same as in the US, bumpers and headlights.

They said TC is reluctant because some other companies have been turned down in the past by TC. And people at TC don't really like to harassed by car company and that they will have to explain other manufacturers why Lotus got a special treatment. Of course being a low production car and the only car for sale by Lotus might help.

J.Scotti also told me to expect the price to be what it is in the U$ X by the exchange rate. Which should mean that the Elise will be available between 50k and 60k canadian pesos.

Next time I'm in Montreal, I'm giving my deposit. :clap:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds great Darth, seems like the situation with certification is getting better and more promising.

I should hope that the $ exchange continues this trend!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If I were you Peter, I would also consider a Caterham Super7. A guy in Chemanus is selling Hayabusa powered Caterhams. Check www.super7cars.com

For 47,000$ you get a 1070lbs(!) caterham capable of doing the 0-60mph in 3,2sec! Problem is I would need to sell my Miata to get that very special but very unpractical car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darth G-F said:
If I were you Peter, I would also consider a Caterham Super7. A guy in Chemanus is selling Hayabusa powered Caterhams. Check www.super7cars.com

For 47,000$ you get a 1070lbs(!) caterham capable of doing the 0-60mph in 3,2sec! Problem is I would need to sell my Miata to get that very special but very unpractical car.
Yes, I've seen them and have spoken to proprietor Dave Saville-Peck at great length about that and other cars in general. In addition to his, I've considered building my own from scratch, based on Ron Champion's book "Locost" car.

There's alot of cool stuff out there. The Elise is just about the coolest of the bunch! But if it doesn't pass certification, then this is next on my list...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Funny, I also want a Caterham. But I have another project on the side. Here what my be in my garage next year:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Darth G-F said:
Funny, I also want a Caterham. But I have another project on the side. Here what my be in my garage next year:...
Oh yeah, T-Rex... They still make these? I only heard about and seen one of these and then, nothing...

It was funny, but many years ago at one of my jobs, a guy I worked with was building a home-made trike using a motorcycle rear-end and drivetrain and the front end of a Formula Ford Lotus he acquired years prior. And then about a year or two later, this T-Rex came out which reminded me of this project he had (and I thought he should just get this, instead of spending all that time and money engineering his own). To this day, I still don't know if he ever finished that car/trike...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts