The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone own one of those little pocket bikes? They look like a ton of fun, but I wanted to be sure before I buy. Also, anyone in california know what the laws regaurding mopeds under 50cc's are? Like, would I need a motorcycle endorsement on my liscense to ride one in public?

edit: they appear to be illegal on public roads in CA. =(.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Correct - they are illegal for use on public roads in CA.

Get this - they're classified as motor-driven cycles. However, they have no VIN number, so cannot be registered. Now, get pulled over by a cop for riding one on the street, and it will be confiscated for being an unregistered motor vehicle (picture a large tow truck getting called in to impound that tiny bike!). It'll be impossible to get it out of impound, as to do so you'd have to appease the DMV and register it...which is impossible since it has no VIN! The moral of the story is, don't ride them on the streets or sidewalks!

·
Registered
495 Posts
They are not road-legal in CA, and I would be shocked if they are anywhere

Ride that on the street and you'll be headed to the ER or morgue with an express ticket, unless you are lucky enough to have the police save you from yourself first. That said, I've already seen people doing it (but never on a busy street yet)

Why not get a 50cc Aprilia scooter instead. They can be made to look like a race bike, and they have enough power/height to be functional (and legal). They also make a 50 cc 'bike' direct from the factory -- SR50

1 - 5 of 5 Posts