The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From their website it also looks like they sell red in super stiff varieties, but i believe sector 111 sells the set of 2 motor mounts in the 60a (red) durometer. How do they feel in the car?

Was there a big change in vibration with them or just a little? I know, super subjective question... I would guess the greatest increase is at idle... just trying to discern if it feels inappropriately in level of vibration that passengers are going to think your car is falling apart or if it just feels a bit more raw....

I know there's the motor mount inserts available for less, but my car has 80k miles on it and it's probably more or less due for new mounts anyway, and i'm not so sure it's a great idea to bandaid a worn mount with the inserts...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Here is a post I made previously on the topic:

Having finally installed all four Innovative mounts and lived with them for a while, I can wholeheartedly recommend trying all four in a weekend car / non-daily driver...even if you don't track the car. The mounts do break-in slightly after a few days, but mostly you get used to them. I only drive the car for the sake of driving (as opposed to trying to reach a particular destination), as for that purpose, these are perfect. Almost never sit in stop in go traffic, which is where these are at their worst.
Manly motor mount vs. Innovation motor mounts - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

I like them a lot. Here are the main points:
- When you first install them, the vibration will be shocking. They do settle down quite a bit after some miles.
- The vast majority of the vibration occurs at idle. Your side view mirrors and rear view mirror will shake. My rear towhook wags like a dog's tail. You can feel it in your back a bit, so a passenger would definitely notice.
- Above idle, the additional vibration isn't nearly as noticeable. The car seems a bit louder because of flat surface vibrating a bit, but you can't really feel this. You may have a few odd sounds at certain RPMs that energize certain resonances.
- Improvement in throttle response is significant. Car feels a lot less sloppy.

I would AT LEAST get inserts. The car drives so much better. I don't notice the downsides much anymore, but I only drive my car for pleasure or to/from the racetrack.

Edit: You can probably cut down on the vibration a bit, while still retaining most of the benefits, by only installing the front and rear mounts.

·
Registered
972 Posts
+1 for the Innovative mounts. I have mine (05' Elise) mounted in front/back. As above, after the initial install you will feel and see the vibration but it's not as bad as some make it sound. Also as above, they settle in quite a bit but the vibration at idle never disappears.

Give in to your feelings, let go of your sloppy shifts and join us.... :DV:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Had the reds running for about 3 years, once you chase down all the rattles that never existed before, it's not so bad.
It is a very noticible change in NVH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts