The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to book a trip there in january/february and was trying to find the most "fun" city (nightlife, young people, etc). looking at either sydney, melbourne or gold coast. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
looking to book a trip there in january/february and was trying to find the most "fun" city (nightlife, young people, etc). looking at either sydney, melbourne or gold coast. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
A lot of it depends on the time available, as well as what you like to do.
It sounds like clubbing (drinking and womanizing), so I would probably recommend the gold coast even though I personally avoid it.

If you surf, dive, drink wine, hike, etc(?) then these could affect where you might go if you're looking at activities during the day... depending on what you like to do as well as how much time you have.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Gold Coast. But go in November during the races. CRAZY

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
when going to the beach stay within the tiny fenced off areas...

Australian Box jelly fish can kill within 5 minutes if you AREN'T allergic

beware of "Pointers" great white sharks if surfing(which you also run the risk of the box jellyfish)

blue ring octopus can shut down your nervous system so that the only muscle that works is your heart... so you will need mouth to mouth until they can put you on lifesupport for a couple weeks(zombie!) so make sure anyone you are with understands that. same thing happens with fugu(pufferfish) toxin

snakes snakes snakes nuff said

salt water crocs... big teeth

there are lots more nasty toxin fish and spiny things

also if a kangaroo takes your sandwich... just let it go man

but other than that should be alright :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Houses are built on stilts. Why?

1. Instant car parking
2. Cooler to let air under the house
3. Helps to slow down the assault from deadly bugs and snakes
4. All of the above.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am from Sydney.

There or in Melbourne you are going to get more culture, better restaurants etc. Sydney is more like LA, Melbourne is more like NY in my opinion. If you want craziness go down to kings cross or bondi at night lots of backpackers and drunk people. If you go all the way to Australia though do yourself a favor and go to the barrier reef. Take a day cruise or overnight cruise, you will not regret it. Also if you are going for Australian winter the further north you go the better, so up to cairns would be the best call i would say. Honestly the gold coast is really terrible, but as someone above said if you just want to go out and party every night then you will not be disappointed maybe...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replies, im thinking of splitting the trip into thirds and go from gold coast to sydney to melbourne. by the way ill be going in jan/feb

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Honestly the gold coast is really terrible, but as someone above said if you just want to go out and party every night then you will not be disappointed maybe...
I was there for Indy with Champ car and V8supercars. It was nuts, party central. Boobs and beer. If you wanted to go there for other reasons, it was a bad idea. I found it amusing, but not to my taste.

I was trying to plan an Australian tourist trip some months ago and felt it was difficult as the continent is so large. Friends in Adelaide. Must see Sydney. Kinda like someone planning on visiting the US. Really better off picking a section to visit.

I like the idea of the Barrier Reef. That sounds awesome.

Also wanted to climb the bridge in Sydney. A bit spendy though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
if you go in jan/feb i would suggest you go to Melbourne first you have the Australian open going on there so the city is buzzing, much more fun around that time, tons of people out and about. starts around the 15th and goes till the 30th. Then you can go up to sydney and then in my opinion skip the gold coast and go up to cairns stay in the rain forest and go out to the reef. or if you must satiate your curiosity stop in for a night on the gold coast on the way up north. You can save yourself the trouble though and just go hang out around bondi beach, i promise you, you will not want to leave....

·
Registered
311 Posts
also if you are looking for girls PM me i would be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Don't forget the Victoria Bitter !

·
Registered
389 Posts
I lived in Melbourne for about a year and saw a lot of the wild places in Australia. If you like wild places (i.e., wilderness... not wild parties), I highly recommend Kakadu National Park. I loved Darwin and spent a bunch of time on the Mary River out of "shady camp"... largest saltwater croc habitat on the planet! The GBR is also a must see IMO.

But hey, the Auzzie's definately like to party too! We lived above one of the oldest bars in Melbourne and especially during the "Open", it was crazy!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Glad this thread popped up... We are looking to do NZ and Australia for our honeymoon in Dec/Jan... but were considering spending most of our Australia time in Tasmania and Melbourne... should we reallocate our itinerary?

PS: Round-trip airfares are insane...

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
We honeymooned in Fiji and Australia. First we took a Captain Cook Cruise (tiny little ship) through the Yasawa Islands, which was simply amazing. We also spent a day or two in Cairns and dove the GBR, which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone. After that we wrapped it up in Sydney. I'd live in Sydney if I could...I really enjoyed it there. One problem with Australia (and probably most foreign countries) is if you are going out to dinner, that's basically where you will spend the evening. Even if it seems like you are impatient and in a hurry, the service is molasses slow.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
:wave:

As Holmz says - what are you looking for (other than nightlife)?

As Jan/Feb are the hottest months in Aus you might want to stay south - Sydney and Melbourne - or even visit Tasmania. Tasmania is drivers heaven - no straight roads and virtually no traffic - with loads of parks and scenery plus a humming nightlife in Hobart (especially after new year when all the yachts arrive finishing the Sydney to Hobart race).

Let us know what you want to see and do - you can also drop in on the local Lotus crowd (they hang out at Aussie Elises) who have weekly beer and pizza nights in Sydney.

PS: February is the wettest month on the Gold Coast - rains one day in three on average (but it is warm rain) and is hot and humid the other days. Check out the weather here.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Glad this thread popped up... We are looking to do NZ and Australia for our honeymoon in Dec/Jan... but were considering spending most of our Australia time in Tasmania and Melbourne... should we reallocate our itinerary?

PS: Round-trip airfares are insane...
Short answer = NO

Long answer =
To do NZ any justice at all takes a couple of weeks on either island - moving quickly.
If you are flying back and forth to Au then you can do a week here and there and get a good view of it - but you really need a minimum of a week there to get a taste of it.
(By the way - I heard that the worst film for NZ tourism is "Once were warriors", which I like, but is not for the week hearted.)

Now Australia is larger than NZ, so it takes longer to get around it, or it is easier to bit off a small chunk because it is so spread out.

For a Honeymoon, Tassy and Melboune would be good. Beer and Boobs in the gold coast are NOT going to be of any great use to you. Tassy and most of NZ have a bucolic charm... If you like a bucolic charm you'll love it - if you like boobs, then it's utterly wrong.

So it all depends on what you like to do. (Like I mentioned to ttowsontt).

Personally I wouldn't waste the money on a flight to Au for beer and boobs, even though I like them both and started on the later, before going to the former.

Perth is San Diego's sister city and has a similar vib to San Diego.
Sydney is reminds me of LA in that it is urban.
Melbourne is cosmopolitan and reminds me of San Fran especially with the trams and cool weather.
Gold Coast reminds me of Florida - (which I avoid).

Cairns (and north) is nice - but at that time of the year (Jan/Feb) is too hot.
NZ at xmas-feb is stunning, and Tassy is great then too.

In general if you like to Hike, Ski, Stargaze, archeology, surf, scuba, drink wine, crock wrestling, dine, etc - then it is easier to narrow down - than starting with a clean/empty slate.

Tassy has mostly sightseeing and some light tour stuff - so good for a honeymoon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Depends what you like. I have been there twice: once for fun and once for business.

Sydney I agree was kind of like LA. I did not feel inclined to climb the harbor bridge as others have mentioned ... pricey and you can find better things to do.

Melbourne I would say had more of a European feel, or maybe like Toronto, but was generally less glitzy and felt more refined than Sydney. Certainly worth a visit.

Cairns in Queensland we basically used as a launching point for a 3 day scuba trip on the Barrier Reef, which was fantastic from start to finish and exceptionally well run. We really didnt spend much time in the town itself.

Alice Springs was great if you like desert beauty and Aboriginal culture, but you have to fly there.

Like others have mentioned, the distances are large, like the continental US.

I have heard Perth is great but I haven't been there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts