The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About to leave soon and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations, comments, ideas. We are taking our kids as well. Thanks....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I went 6 months before the 2004 tsunami. Definitely a fun place to visit. Ask around and you will find some amazing thai food. Patong beach is a must see. Quite random, but one of the best Italian restaurants I have ever been to was near Patong beach lol. We also went on an awesome elephant ride through the rainforest. Have fun!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...we have planned a day trip to a farm where we get to work some and eat there and also a trek on elephants.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I can't remember what it is called, but there is a 5 star hotel that floats on a river in the middle of the jungle. It looked super nice. They have individual rooms daisy-chained together and they are just staked on one end and the rest just float. From what I read in the article, the hotel also offers tons of activities like elephant rides through the jungle or waterfall sight seeing and whatnot. It was all super cheap too.

Also, there are packs of wild phu quoc dogs. Supposedly very well mannered even in wild form. I'd give an arm and a leg if someone would import one into the states for me. I'm a big pariah dog fan.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
OK OK I just can't be the only immature one sitting here laughing at the city name.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Though I didn't go with a family, and I spent very little time in Phuket, I know it's just a ferry ride to Koh Phi Phi. And that is a marvelous place. Make it out there, rent a long boat (comes with a captain) do some scuba or snorkling. There's some tree monkeys you can feed, and goodness all around.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You should be quite safe since you are going with wifey. Otherwise the really pretty Thai girls are not what they seem to be.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,525 Posts
All I can say about the thai ladyboy situation is

"fool me once" heh

I might be going on a face to face business meeting in a couple months. It was on my suggestion to stop in Phuket on the weekend since we will be in Asia already...

Amazing people ! Beautiful place. It has its own variant of coastal island culture. like maybe Bali, but less touristy in it's own way.

Hard to express, maybe more polynisian kind of ? :shrug:

·
Registered
265 Posts
You should be quite safe since you are going with wifey. Otherwise the really pretty Thai girls are not what they seem to be.
Avoid Pat-hong area in later night hours and you will be safe.
In Pat-hong , roam around the main streets and you can still enjoy all the disco music and welcoming ladies and lady boys.

Very Safe and nice place for tourist.

We went a year after the Tsunami, there was no sign of it.
Whole Pat-hong area looked like nothing happed.

I would recommend Cape Panwa Hotel , very nice and affordable.
Its like heaven , and has its own beach, very private and relaxing.

Definitely take boat tour to Phi Phi Island, don't get stuck in the hotel.
There are lots of places to discover in & around Phuket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've never been to phuket but spent a lot of time in Bangkok.

1. Thai food is awesome. My favorite food in the world. Expect communal eating.

2. Singha is one of the best beers in Thailand

3. There is a Heineken brewery in Thailand. Their Heineken tastes different and its way better.

sa wa dee krab = hello/greetings if you are a dude
sa wa dee ka = hello/greetings if you are a female

It has nothing to do with who you are talking to.

Kob Khun Krab/Ka = thanks

Khor Thoad Krab = please

Mocha nam sum = iced mocha

sum = water

moo = pork

gai = chicken

kao = rice (i think)

khin kao gang wan mai? = want to go eat lunch?

dee = good

mai dee = no good/bad

chai = yes

mai chai (or mai for short) = no

kai kai kai kai kai = he who sells chicken eggs. (its a tonal language, each 'kai' is pronounced with a different inflection)

thats all the sloppy thai i can remember off the top of my head

·
Registered
203 Posts
I didn't do Phucket, but when i went last year with the misses, we did Krabi, did an island tour for the day with some snorkeling, swimming and burning (I'm white she's Filipino). Street food is the best, and if you have an android phone, "learn Thai pro" is a great app with common phrases and a vocal part. there's also a free version. Lots of the people know enough English to sell to tourists.
Also, they are extremely polite people, so if you barter and they agree on your lowest price, buy the product. Head bowing will work if you are uncomfortable with the basic saying's posted above. Don't touch anyone's head or feet, it's considered rude.

That's what i have for now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts