The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My soft top recently started creaking - something's loose in the mechanism. I've always felt the design/build was poor. According to Rachel, she even had hers blow off at speed. I had to previously replace the mechanisms on mine because a certain (ahem) dealer in Miami Beach whose name begins with Prest and ends with ige left the car baking in the sun for several months, which caused the glue to separate.

So it would stand to reason that someone would have developed a better one. Right?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm almost tempted to develop my own. It's not like the mechanism is complicated, they're just spring loaded bolts. I'm surprised Sector 111 doesn't have a CNC machined aluminum one :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sector111 already sells a carbon fiber hardtop so I don't see them coming out with any additional roofing options.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I do agree that the soft top isnt the greatest, but at least its easy and quick. I wish the HARD top was more user friendly. Looks SOOOO much better than the soft top.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do agree that the soft top isnt the greatest, but at least its easy and quick. I wish the HARD top was more user friendly. Looks SOOOO much better than the soft top.
AGREED. The hard top is 100x more sexy than the soft top, but because it's so difficult fiddling around with getting it on and off I just leave the soft top on for 7-8 months of the year.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I think the soft top is great for a "targa". It goes on in seconds and rarely leaks. The equivalent top I had on my Viper RT/10 was an abortion. It's components needed assembling, took about 10 minutes, and leaked like a sieve. Sometimes, you have to experience the bad to appreciate the good.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't use a roof at all unless I'm on the track, caught in the rain, or it's too cold (or too hot depending where I am). I am planning a road trip to Mexico next week and it would be nice to have something more reliable, mine is breaking. I don't particularly want to spend $700 on a duplicate of the existing part that I'm not happy with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts